Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The thrice caught coho  (Read 1619 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
The thrice caught coho
« on: October 12, 2009, 09:31:36 AM »

Was fishing on Saturday with a couple of buds when, mid-morning, my cell phone goes off. As I am reeling in to answer the call I hook up with a fish. The fish explodes out of the water; it is a brilliant coho. A very large fish that is stunningly chrome; when it cleared the water, its' scales gleamed like tiny prisms. I suspected that I foul hooked it on the retreive and sure enough, it started coming in tail first. As I was tugging it in from downstream, my mainline broke above the float. Odd.... Oh well, so I re-tie and keep fishing.

Over the course of the next couple of hours my buds notice a float underwater that alternately appears and disappears from view. Around noon, Pat wades out to get a bead on the float and after a couple of attempts succeeds in snagging the float with this hook. As he starts to bring in the gear, a fish begins to tug strongly on the other end. "Hey there's a fish on here" he calls out. No sooner has he said that than a very familiar brilliant coho leaps from the water again. "It's my coho!" I reply. Pat plays the fish briefly before his hook pulls off the float.

This time the float stays on the surface across the channel. I cast to it a couple of times and hook up with the float once again. I reel it in gently so Pat can reach the line. This time he grabs the old line and proceeds to handline the fish in. However it is a short lived tussle as the leader breaks and the coho gains his well deserved freedom.

We had a good laugh over that one. One fish, two anglers, three different fights.

One another note, I was very impressed at the ingenuity of my fellow anglers and what they use for a float. Over the course of the morning a Coke can floated downstream, then a Tim's coffee cup, then a plastic bag. I must be missing something with my foam dink floats...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 09:49:30 AM by clarki »