Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bottom bouncing whats the big deal?  (Read 85081 times)

joshhowat

Re: bottom bouncing whats the big deal?
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2013, 04:41:34 PM »

Point and case why I love fwr!!!
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2013, 05:53:06 PM »

HEAR HEAR RODNEY!

Fishawn

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2013, 05:59:40 PM »

Wow guys, this is shaping up to be a very good thread (TROLL) ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2013, 06:33:52 PM »

Thank you Rodney, for putting things in perspective.

I would like to add that the opening post is nothing but a sad attempt at a troll, for one simple and obvious contradiction:

The opening poster said in his first post:

"I was up in the area for 10 days visiting family and went fishing 4 times.  During that time, my dad, my wife, and I caught about 50 sockeye (lost probably a quarter that many), 2 kings in the boat (not big, 10-15 pounds each)"

Then he proceeds to say: "We weren't trying to catch the sockeye, we were throwing out deeper where the kings were.  I would have been happy only catching kings."

If I am wrong, and TNAngler really meant what he wrote, the above two quotes in juxtaposition tell only one thing: That we are dealing with an individual who is in complete disregard for the state of this precious resource, and who sadly does not have the required skill to catch kings WITHOUT ending with numerous PROTECTED sockeye salmon as bycatch.

Frankly, I have more respect for the flosser who snags his two sockeye during an opening and leaves than for anyone catching and releasing sockeye after sockeye during a closure trying to catch an elusive chinook.

So, TNAngler, until you learn to respect the resource and to catch only the fish you are targetting (with zero or MINIMAL incidental bycatch), I suggest you follow your very own advice: "if you aren't going to get the fish to hit and catch it right, there is no sense even going. Just stay home."

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2013, 07:04:25 PM »

Feel free to post a few detailed photos of your set-up for review

GordJ

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2013, 07:34:48 PM »

I have no problem with flossing sockeye but, as Rodney points out, a 50 to 2 ratio isn't fishing for springs, it is a 4% bycatch.
And I did have some other issues with the post and the attitude.
So we can assume that you "came up" from the States to catch "kings"? In BC the net fishers and anglers have the same right to fish for these salmon. I tried to find the pamphlet that was produced a year or two ago but I couldn't find it but the gist if it was that we share the resource and when a net fisherman drifts down through the area you are expected to take a couple minutes out of your fishing time and let them drift by. You have no more right or entitlement to the spot or to the fish than they do. Letting them fish through is called courtesy, perhaps this concept is foreign to you?
And, maybe, where you are from it is okay to threaten to throw chunks of lead at people (although too often it involves thirty round clips) but around here it is not. It is called assault and the penalties can be quite harsh, and sometimes the law gets involved.
BTW, there are no "kings" or reds or silvers here, just springs, sockeye and coho.
Don't care if my socks are flossed or not just as long as they are barbecued or canned.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2013, 08:05:36 PM »

milo, you talk about contradictions, but you missed the biggest one:

Of all the fish we caught, only one of them was flossed ... Most were up through the nose, some were in the outside cheek.

;D ;D ;D

Sounds to me like MOST of this TNA's fish were flossed, not just the one. Perhaps he's not a troll, just doesn't understand the definition of flossing.

In any case, another thanks to Rod: sox are CLOSED FOR RECREATIONAL FISHING and it's asked that springs be targeted selectively. Stop hucking 2+oz betties, 10+ foot leaders, and whatever "secret" terminal tackle you feel entices more bites. Pinks are open and still biting. Go fish for them if you can't figure out bar fishing.

BTW, there are no ... reds ... here.

Actually, GordJ, there are reds, whites, and the occasional marble in the Vedder ;) ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 08:09:48 PM by zabber »
A rig out of water catches no fish.

sreeb

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2013, 08:30:23 PM »

If bottom bouncing is an ethical way to fish for springs during a sockeye closure then I am going to hit the river with some dynamite tomorrow. I don't see the difference.

hardlip

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2013, 09:30:49 PM »

Bottom bouncing/flossing should not even be allowed to do IMO.
 A bunch of weekend warriors out to fill the freezer. If it was impossible to floss a salmon, 50% of the people fishing/snagging the rivers would not even be there.
I would pay double for my fishing license yearly to cover the cost of the snaggers not being there.
If the fish does not bite the hook, it does not deserve to be taken out of his habitat. If you cant convince the fish to bite the hook, then your just not ready to catch one at this point in your fishing hobby...  Just my thoughts on it all.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2013, 10:02:06 PM »

I canot believe it has taken me this long to join in. ;D ;D

You think it is bad out there now wait to the pinks arrive. ::) ::)

And by the way when I was one of the early flossers, :-[ :-[ around 15 years ago I remember the day my son said this "watch this dad", 3 casts with a bare hook, results 2 sockeye, end of our flossing days.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2013, 10:40:58 PM »

Feel free to post a few detailed photos of your set-up for review

Good post.......not once have we been told about the length of leader he's been fishing with.  If TAngler is using a 2-3' leader and getting a wack of fish with the line hanging straight behind the boat I'd be far more inclined to believe that some of the sockeye are biting.....although, even at that length it's still possible to floss fish if they are running thick. If the leader is more than 5' long and closer to 10' or more, which I have a feeling it is, it's flossing all the way.  I'd put money on it!

I have had plenting of sockeye bite in my years of fishing but none of them have been in the Fraser....only clear water systems like the Vedder and the Thompson.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2013, 11:00:42 PM »

ok.... so i have 3 sheep and I'm gonna go shave them for wool and dye there wool !
what color should I use !

just please leave these fish alone ! come on ! In the states right now they had a sockeye opening in washington lake ! 2 fish ! ounce u got them U MUST STOP FISHING FOR THEM !!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2013, 12:14:54 AM »

ok.... so i have 3 sheep and I'm gonna go shave them for wool and dye there wool !
what color should I use !

Green of course  ;)

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2013, 05:37:16 AM »

Black would probably be more suitable!

trot

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2013, 06:40:00 AM »

I wonder if/when a "no bottom snagging law" will ever be implemented. Like an earlier poster said, I would also be willing to pay double or triple my license fee. Heck, they could make it any price they wanted and I would pay it. Yes, even sexual! :'(