Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bar fishing on the fraser, how has the luck been for you?  (Read 12467 times)

bcguy

Re: Bar fishing on the fraser, how has the luck been for you?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 02:24:21 PM »

Was out bar fishing with roe east of Mission on a beautiful Monday afternoon, no love, not even a sniff, saw quite a few risers, but unfortunately they were all sturgeon, and a couple seals. ;)

Was thinking of using a blade or spin and glow's, anyone think theres enough current to get them going effectively a couple km's east of Mission? It looks kind of border line
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

trot

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 03:06:33 PM »

Hey Trot,

Where do you usually head on the upper river?

Would love to tell you but we usually have the bar to ourselves-If I posted it I can guarantee the bottom rippers would arrive. Without a boat I really only know of two places that aren't plagued by snaggers.

Tuckster

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »

Fully respect your decision there...Can totally understand.

Saw a couple of guys bottom ripping for pinks they other day in squamish......was rediculous

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 07:40:16 AM »

In the Tidal Fraser I rarely bring out my roe before October. This time of the year the likelihood of catching a chinook salmon is pretty slim down here. The river is too wide and muddy. There are too many unwanted species pecking on roe. I save my roe for coho salmon when retention opens in early October. By then, water is already cold enough to keep the other species inactive, so the only species that would bite are coho salmon, bull trout, cutthroat trout and possibly chum salmon.

It's been decades since I did much of it but I remember most years the river would drop well and partially clear by mid-August. Bar fishing roe for jack springs was usually fair or better if we had good roe.By fair I mean most days there's be a fish or two on the beach for 2 anglers by the time we wrapped it up. It was good enough that we'd do it both Saturday and Sunday.There were the odd times we took several or even close to a limit (8 for jacks at the time) for each of us. This was the Langley area - Duncan, Glen Valley, by the Albion Ferry back in the late 60s and the 70s. The late summer run of red springs is still pretty healthy so this kind of fishing may still be worth a shot.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 03:21:02 PM »

Recent posts have been split and merged with the other thread that was started today:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=33395.0

It's been decades since I did much of it but I remember most years the river would drop well and partially clear by mid-August. Bar fishing roe for jack springs was usually fair or better if we had good roe.By fair I mean most days there's be a fish or two on the beach for 2 anglers by the time we wrapped it up. It was good enough that we'd do it both Saturday and Sunday.There were the odd times we took several or even close to a limit (8 for jacks at the time) for each of us. This was the Langley area - Duncan, Glen Valley, by the Albion Ferry back in the late 60s and the 70s. The late summer run of red springs is still pretty healthy so this kind of fishing may still be worth a shot.

The jack spring fishery in late August down in the Tidal Fraser is still very good. The older anglers who do it annually always get into dozens of them around that time by fishing bait at those popular bars. I remember at the sockeye catch and release study a couple of years ago, the beach seining part brought in a large number of jack springs.