Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about fire line.  (Read 1480 times)

fullahead

A question about fire line.
« on: March 29, 2008, 07:09:01 AM »

A question about fire line.

I decided to leave my center pin at home, and pull out my 3106 level wind rod yesterday. I wanted to cover a lot of water. I have a Calcutta 400 with fire line, I normally use with a Fenwick rod for sockeye. My question is. Is fire line hard on the guides of the 3106? Maybe I should pull the line off and store it for a few years.

Griz

• I'm a llama!
    • www.kodiaktackle.com
Re: A question about fire line.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 08:39:12 AM »

I myself have using either Fireline or Stren's Super Braid for the last 8 years at least with no damage or scuffing of my guides.  And I'm like you I either use my custom made Sage or my Rainshadow I have made for me.  That is the only type of line that is spooled on my baitcasting reel's.

fullahead

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:28:38 AM »

Griz
      Thanks for the info, as I don’t want to bugger up my Sage. I going to bring out my level wind I want to cover more water.

Griz

• I'm a llama!
    • www.kodiaktackle.com
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 12:15:51 PM »

Fullahead if you want to try a new braided line that you can use for clear water condition's give either Fireline Crystal a shot or Spiderwire Ultracast Invisibility. I have used both for clear water coho fishing and steelhead with great success as they  made to disappear. I don't know how they can make a braided line basically transparent in water but it works.  They should be able to be bought at your local tackle shop.