Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions for new Fly line! backing broke today :(  (Read 3997 times)

tburns

Suggestions for new Fly line! backing broke today :(
« on: November 03, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »

Hey All,

I was on the squamish today (incredible day fishing chum and coho) and hooked up with some mystery monster who stripped me out to my braided backing and somehow it snapped!  I'm pretty bewildered as to how  the backing snapped as its the first time i've had a fish pull me out to the backing and I was using a 12lb tippet.

Regardless, my jimmied rig of looping my backing to my sinking leader is insufficient for future fishing trips.

I've been doing some research on potential replacements and will certainly ask the guys at Pacific Angler, but do you have any suggestions on what I should consider?  Should I replace my backing as well?

Background info:  Using a Redington pursuit combo 8wt.  I fish squamish, capilano, seymour and go up to chehalis and the vedder in the summer.  Mostly I've been stripping and doing some swung flies.  I'm pretty new though so whatever would prepare me for all situations would be great.

Thanks for your time,

Trevor

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Suggestions for new Fly line! backing broke today :(
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 09:39:19 PM »

get a line with a sink tip system. its the most versatile way to fish our coastal rivers and streams.

What I think happened is the knot attaching your backing to your fly line either untied or slipped free from the fly line. next time you do it or have it done tell them to use an Albright Knot. it will not fail you unless your backing actually breaks.

Best way is to strip a little of the fly line coating off and tie directly to the core. This will make a smaller knot and also make it a lot stronger because your tied to the core and not fly line that can possibly peel free from the core.

What may have and most unlikely thing could have been if your backing is not drying out properly then it can rot over time. This is part of why most reels are ported heavily nowadays (that and cutting down on weight) because if you go 10yrs without ever seeing your backing but you dunk your reel or fish in heavy rain it will soak up water and potentially rot. then one day you get a hot fish that rips out and snap, bye bye.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

tburns

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »

get a line with a sink tip system. its the most versatile way to fish our coastal rivers and streams.

What I think happened is the knot attaching your backing to your fly line either untied or slipped free from the fly line. next time you do it or have it done tell them to use an Albright Knot. it will not fail you unless your backing actually breaks.

Best way is to strip a little of the fly line coating off and tie directly to the core. This will make a smaller knot and also make it a lot stronger because your tied to the core and not fly line that can possibly peel free from the core.

What may have and most unlikely thing could have been if your backing is not drying out properly then it can rot over time. This is part of why most reels are ported heavily nowadays (that and cutting down on weight) because if you go 10yrs without ever seeing your backing but you dunk your reel or fish in heavy rain it will soak up water and potentially rot. then one day you get a hot fish that rips out and snap, bye bye.

Know what, I think you're right about the knot.  I looked at it after that salmon made away with my line and 6ips RIO leader...  The backing was curled (think what a phone line looks like/ribbon) hinting to the fact that a knot had failed.  Serves me right for trusting the factory knot I guess.  The second theory, while interesting, doesn't seem likely as I bought my fly rod a month ago.

I have been using sink tips on the end of a floating line using a loop to loop configuration.  I guess I'll just have to go replace it.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 04:18:51 PM »

a sink tip system is exactly that. floating line with a loop so you can loop/loop attach your sink tips or a dry tip. Most people buy a full line with tips like Rio Versa Tip so you can save a bit on the cost of buying all those things individually

Did you have your fly line loop/loop connected to your backing ?

I would never use a factory back loop. I would cut it an Albright knot to the backing because I know its significantly stronger and the last thing I want is to watch a $100 fly line swim away  >:(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

tburns

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 08:56:30 PM »

The fly line was connected to the backing with a factory knot.  I took it in to Pacific Angler today and Max said that he'd try to get it warrantied.  Fingers crossed, but regardless that is top notch customer service!

And agreed HOOK.  From now on whenever I get a new line already on a reel I will retie the knot myself to make sure of its' secureness

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 10:34:51 AM »

Was your backing braided dacron or something like spectra? Also what was it's # test rating? For salmon fishing you should never use less than 30lb dacron or 50lb spectra braid. Braids like spectra can cut PVC fly lines if not properly attached. Simple loops to loops and nail knots are not recommended. I agree with recommendation to use the albright but even that knot can be improved by tying a Bimini twist in the backing and then tie that to the fly line using an albright. You should also 'lock' your albright
(see http://www.flytalk.co.za/readArticle.php?p_id=35) and I prefer to fix the lock with super glue.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

tburns

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 11:24:24 AM »

I assume it was 30lb braided backing, but honestly I do not know.  I bought it as the Redington Pursuit combo and it came spooled with backing and a RIO floating line.

chief

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 07:53:50 PM »

Couple of weeks ago same thing happened to me on the Squamish above the Eagle Run.
Foul hooked a chum which ran out a lot of line into the backing. Saw the seal in the middle of the river make a beeline for the salmon. Cranked down the drag to break of the fish but to late! More line ripped of the reel before breaking off where the running line was tied to the backing. Lost the skagit head, clear tip and running line. All happened so fast. Expensive day !