Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: strip buckets  (Read 7063 times)

Castor

strip buckets
« on: July 13, 2013, 05:07:16 PM »

New to fly fishing and want to try some beach fishing for Coho and the Pink run later in the summer. Should I be using a strip bucket/tray or is it unnecessary?
I'd fish that

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: strip buckets
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 07:44:23 PM »

Depends on how much line you are throwing out. If you are throwing out between 80 to 100 feet of line, all that flyline you strip back for your next cast  is going to get tangled up, unless you hold the flyline in a series of loose  loops in your free hand, or use a stripping basket.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 08:07:17 PM »

I never use one. I find they get in the way. It is personal preference I guess.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 09:41:19 PM »

I use mine whenever I can remember to grab it,  when I forget, I usually regret.  The basket serves a couple of purposes, first being to keep your line up out of the water where it can get carried by the tidal current.  Depending on where and when you are fishing, this may not be much of a problem, if there is not a cross current on the beach you are fishing or if the tide is slack at the time.  Second purpose it can help keep your line from rubbing on the barnacle encrusted rocks at your feet which will help extend the life of the line.  Thirdly, it can help keep your line from entangling in kelp and sea grass floating in the water at your feet.  All of these factors will vary depending on where and often when you fish, so you may be fine without a basket one day, but the next day you could find yourself wishing you had one.  The final purpose for the basket is that it keeps the line up out of the water, which reduces the drag from the water (as the shooting line picks up the slack line in the water, the surface tension of the water adds resistance and can shorten your casts).  I can usually cast my full 100 feet with only a single false cast when using a basket as the slack line slips effortlessly from the basket.  When the line is in the water I need to pick up a little more line to get enough energy in the rod to pick rest of the line up out of the water.  The fewer false casts you make, the longer it takes to tire you out when you are fishing all day in 25 degree weather.  The down side for me is the strip retrieve can be cumbersome, trying to get the line into the basket, depending on the type of basket you have, and how deep you are standing in the water.  I am using a simple tupperware container for my basket, so the design is not optimal.
Not all those who wander are lost

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 03:07:45 AM »

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Castor

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 08:04:09 PM »

I like the Macgiver bucket  :)
I'd fish that

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 08:13:14 PM »

I have thought about building one myself because the Orvis one isn't small and can be in the way sometimes  >:(
Check out our new blog

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 09:16:43 PM »

I have thought about building one myself because the Orvis one isn't small and can be in the way sometimes  >:(

Yeah, I will have to try the stool, I have one kicking around from when my kids were younger.
Not all those who wander are lost

Banny

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 07:01:14 AM »

I built a couple Ikea ones when Todd posted the recipe on another forum way back.  They served me well fishing pinks on the beach, but mainly fishing cutties on the Harrison and the Fraser, just spin it behind your back during times it is not necessary.

banx

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 08:09:50 AM »

yes thanks for posting that.  I will also be making my own now.

whereismyfloat

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 08:37:42 AM »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »

been thinking of ordering one of those clips for spey fishing cause I suck a** at holding loops LoL
Check out our new blog

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 12:27:10 PM »

hey guys i have somthing much better than a stripping basket i receentley got to try it. It is called a striper clip very cool and works i sugest u take a look
http://www.peterhayesflyfishing.com/page107184010.aspx

heres a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RAanTC52IU

Castor

I'd fish that

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 01:11:40 AM »

What retailers in the Lower Mainland carry those stripper clips like in the video ??