Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sturgeon on the fly!!  (Read 6404 times)

ricer

sturgeon on the fly!!
« on: September 05, 2011, 07:37:23 AM »

Bring on the doubters...

Me and 2 other friends were fishing in the Albion for pinks having a blast and the next fish I hook comes out of the water like a rocket and my jaw dropped... a sturgeon.  The second time it jumped my friends jaw dropped... a witness.  I fought it for 5 - 10 min and then tried to horse it a bit and the hook came out. 

Yes, I know sturgeon are bottom scavengers with poor eyesight and a great sense of smell, and i know you are all thinking that I must have snagged it, and i can't say for sure that it was caught in the mouth although my friend swears it was and it jumped shaking its head like it was but man was that fun.  Is it possible it bit? I had a shrimp looking fly on.  I think not, as the tide was moving and we were in about 5 feet of water but I did have control of him unlike a snagged pink.

Well, either way a guy can dream.  It was the perfect size (about 3 ft - 10-15lbs) for my new 10 foot 9 weight temple fork.  Unfortunately, no pics!

the pinks sure are moving in in full force now so get out there!

dmoney

Re: sturgeon on the fly!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:34:27 AM »

That must have been exciting! No way it bit the fly though. Even if it was hooked in / near the mouth, it was snagged. A good test for the TFO 9wt, now you know you're ready for the chum and springs :)

D$

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:55:55 AM »

No idea if your was snagged or hooked...BUT...

If you go check out the Vancouver Aquarium...the sturgeon feed off live herring.  They actively feed on the herring balls in the tank....neat to watch and they have no problem sipping a live herring from close to the surface.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:04:49 AM »

-I don't see why it wouldn't be hooked. It was possibly feeding on eggs or even slow pinks. You have caught pinks on the fly thus scent of fish on the fly. I say live the dream... you hooked it and had a good fight.
-If I've learned anything over the years it is expect the unexpected.

G.A.

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 01:23:38 PM »

may have gotten lucky to hook it on a fly...and yes luck. they go by scent so cant see your hook even. and for a fly to hold to a sturgeon and it actualy surface i dont see how it didnt break....sure was a sturgeon and not something else. and yes sturgeon do jump with or without being hooked. i watch them every night under mission bridge surfacing all the time on their own. its how fish shake off sea lice also. not always about feeding

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 02:03:57 PM »

I personally assisted in landing a 4-5footer that a woman had hooked on a pink lure while pink fishing (2yrs ago) she hooked it no further than 30feet from herself(i know because i was 5 people away and saw it jump when she set the hook)  :o The lure was hooked perfectly in the mouth so i wouldnt doubt they would grab a fly once in awhile. I have hooked them while reeling in along the slack water during sockeye openings. Would have been a pretty cool thing to see it on a fly rod  ;D

Oh and that was the womans first time ever salmon fishing and landed the sturgeon before she even caught a pink LOL pretty good way to get her hooked i think
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

G.A.

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 02:05:17 PM »

impossible...they are blind my friend. anything unscented is a fluke

G.A.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 02:06:38 PM »

not saying it didnt happen for either of them...just wasnt a reg feeding type cartch with lures. they need smells to attract close enough to see a lure. is why its ok to night fish for them./ cant see any lure in the dark can they. i get more of them at night than day time

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 04:23:26 PM »

LOL, all ill say is not a chance.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

mistermongz

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 09:07:31 PM »

:o :o found this on youtube

http://youtu.be/AvKaEkZALZE
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:11:47 PM by mistermongz »
Fish on!!!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 09:23:08 PM »

:o :o found this on youtube

http://youtu.be/AvKaEkZALZE

heavy sink tip, a slack tide and bait....a few guys do it using 12wt rods.... its not really fly fishing since they use bait
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 11:42:51 PM »

heavy sink tip, a slack tide and bait....a few guys do it using 12wt rods.... its not really fly fishing since they use bait
so your saying you wouldnt wanna catch a sturgeon on a flyrod?
but how are they casting out the weights?
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

mistermongz

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 12:13:56 AM »

thats what boggles me is how they casted out what looks like a 8 or 10 ounce pyramid ehhe  ??? ??? but yeah i dont think he was using a fly and yeah it would be fun on a 12 wt.
Fish on!!!

ricer

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 06:53:08 AM »

may have gotten lucky to hook it on a fly...and yes luck. they go by scent so cant see your hook even. and for a fly to hold to a sturgeon and it actualy surface i dont see how it didnt break....sure was a sturgeon and not something else. and yes sturgeon do jump with or without being hooked. i watch them every night under mission bridge surfacing all the time on their own. its how fish shake off sea lice also. not always about feeding

I have commercial fished with my dad on the fraser since I was 9 - back in 1979 - at 70, my dad still leases a boat to catch some food fish today (he is japanese canadian)

I think i know a sturgeon when i see one... but as i said in the first post... i can see the skepticism

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 03:40:41 PM »

No I dont want to catch one on a fly rod like that, theres no point seeing as its not really fly fishing...and theres no way to get them to bite a flly.

if you loosened the drag completely off im sure it would cast a weight that size no problem....

the guys i know anchor out on slack tides in a boat and they use no weights, just an insanely heavy sink tip and a piece of bait....