Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stocked trout and chironomids  (Read 5447 times)

Britguy

• Old Timer
Stocked trout and chironomids
« on: April 05, 2010, 09:14:02 PM »

Hope somone can answer this :-\
How do fresh stocked trout know that chironomid pupa are a good food source and how long do you think it takes them to realise this after being raised on pellets ???
Reason i ask is i recently fished a newly stocked lake and after not hitting to many fish on a leech i noticed a small chironomid hatch so i swithced to fishing one of my newly tied chironomid pupa and the fish were hitting it like crazy  ;D

GENERAL-SHERMAN

Re: Stocked trout and chironomids
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 09:47:41 AM »

natural instinct. for each fish the time to adjust and discover new food sources probably differs but im sure its within a week or two.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:50:48 AM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:17:13 PM »

dont you think that a chironie pupa looks kind of like a pellet floating in the water ?? especially green ones  ;) I always figured thats why they went crazy one them all the time.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 08:29:02 PM »

i think it is because there pellets arn't there so they get the instinct to eat bugs.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 01:56:51 PM »

Fish will mouth (eat) anything (they don't have hands) you just have to be ready before they spit it out.

ricer

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 05:19:41 PM »

My question is how long does it take 1500 stocked rainbows to be fished out in Lafarge - went there today, beautiful day, chironomids hatching and no fish.  Saw a couple caught on power bait and a couple on the troll by another flyfisherman.  It has been about 3 weeksish since it was stocked.  I was there a couple times within the week from when they were stocked and it was non stop.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 08:51:12 PM »

just try doing the simple math. I will just use an average of fishermen/women i can count anytime im there.

30 fishers, limit of 4 each = 120 fish per day

now this is just a rough guesstimation obviously because there is guys that catch and release and we all know there is some that take more then their share  >:( but if you average 120 fish per day then in 12 days almost the entire lot of fish is gone  :'(

and 30 people fishing is actually less then i have counted each time i have been out since the first stocking of the year. the last time out we counted 47 including ourselves obviously  :o
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

ricer

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 11:55:42 AM »

That is some sad math.  I guess that is what they are in there for.  It would be nice if they made one or two of the local lakes catch and release - or even rotate these lakes each year as catch and release.  The fish might even have a chance of growing a little by the next year.  I guess, all in all it is nice to see the stocking program working.  I love seeing the various flyfishing kids/teens groups out having a blast.   I don't like seeing those who just slaughter them day after day then return in the evenings catching more than their share.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 01:57:54 PM »

The lakes close to the city such as Lafarge are pointless to make catch and release. Their are lakes in the Lower Mainland that they could make catch and release and either fly only or bait ban. I would love to see a few lakes managed as trophy lakes that are fly only catch and release.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 12:36:07 PM »

I'd love to see that as well Bryan.  :)
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

anorden

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 07:50:21 PM »

I had a really good day on the fly at rice recently, 3 days after it was stocked. I pumped the stomach of a couple of the ones i bonked and they were full of chironomids. I was pretty surprised as a lot of people say they dont feed for at least a week after being transferred (potentially more if they arent used to the diet??).

And yes they were definately stockies, the fins were tattered to hell!

ricer

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 05:10:32 PM »

One could ask "how do they know to eat pellets?"  when they are born.  Just instinct to chase and eat anything that moves.  If it tastes good, swallow.....that's what she said!! ;)  Sorry, inappropriate, too much Office.

jimmywits

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 10:35:42 AM »

The lakes close to the city such as Lafarge are pointless to make catch and release. Their are lakes in the Lower Mainland that they could make catch and release and either fly only or bait ban. I would love to see a few lakes managed as trophy lakes that are fly only catch and release.
I second that!

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 10:57:37 AM »

I know it may sound cheesy to some of you on here BUT there is a fish farm outside mission that for a small fee offers catch and release only fly fishing some good sized trout in there as well.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 09:41:23 PM »

as Fish or Cut Bait mentioned - trout will mouth anything, once they mouth a high protein food source like a chironomid they quickly look for more. stocked trout used to a steady diet of food must quickly adopt similar nutrient value food sources once released or they will loose weight rapidly or even starve.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.