Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boxing Day Derby  (Read 16256 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Boxing Day Derby
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2022, 10:28:52 AM »

I think stuff like this happens because of the softness of society nowadays. Before people would act proper and think before they do something or else they'd get hurt... Not saying that's right but nowadays people get away with way too much, way too many times. First time may be a mistake, but repeat offenders deserve serious consequences. Lines need to be drawn of what's acceptable and what is not, most things are just uncommon sense.

I don't think so, there are always consequences, no different today than before.

What we are talking about here is a bit different. A sociopath (yes, I believe that's what this is) has no moral compass and would lie or cheat to get the highs they need. We're talking about someone who made up a fake organization back in July when Rufus got beaten up, posed as the president of that so-called organization, went on Global BC, fake cried during the interview, all because what... he thinks he can.

And he's going to business school? Good thing he got caught in a fishing derby, this could have been, still could be, a new Bernie Madoff in the making lol...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2022, 10:38:54 AM »

I think stuff like this happens because of the softness of society nowadays. Before people would act proper and think before they do something or else they'd get hurt... Not saying that's right but nowadays people get away with way too much, way too many times. First time may be a mistake, but repeat offenders deserve serious consequences. Lines need to be drawn of what's acceptable and what is not, most things are just uncommon sense.

When was this halcyon "before time"? In many ways what I recall from the earlier period of my life was that things were about the same or perhaps somewhat worse. Back then society turned it's head to many crimes like spousal abuse and sexual assault. Sport Fishing has developed a harder edge. People are very competitive about who is a good great or better angler. There is a lot of ego and status seeking involved but that isn't new. Social media has affected our lives. Many studies are finding that for a good number of individuals social media actually makes them feel less happy and more isolated. Supposedly social media makes these people feel that they can never match the 'standard' social media seems to set. Some social media sites are more akin to battle royals where virtually anything is allowed not short lies & libel. But that's nothing new. I've been on the net, pre-web, close to 30 years when these kind of social networks were text based. It was pretty much the same. The rumor mill usually greatly exaggerates accusations. Take that into consideration. Likewise whatever this individual may have done how can you or anyone hold him to account with 'serious consequences'? What could be done has been done.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2022, 10:43:34 AM »

When there are prizes and maybe money involved it’s fraud. Plain and simple.
If the derby was for bragging rights only then not a big deal.

That's your opinion. I am not a lawyer. Are you? Criminal charges are not laid based on rumor prattling on the internet.There has to be evidence of a crime. The Police have to investigate and compile evidence. Actual criminal intent has to be determined. After that Crown counsel has to determine there is a high probability of a conviction if it goes to court. Even then there may not be a conviction without which there isn't a finding of fraud.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2022, 11:47:11 AM »

Sport Fishing has developed a harder edge. People are very competitive about who is a good great or better angler. There is a lot of ego and status seeking involved but that isn't new. Social media has affected our lives.

He is a product of the whole vedder social media scene of having to be some top rod, proving how many you catch, saying your on the water all the time so your the smartest bestest fishing guro like it means something (spoiler no one cares). So you can strawman people call them beaks and everything.

its a pretty disgusting testosterone driven cesspool

is anyone really surprised we see this coming out of the same scene of people who cheered on a guide that gave that kid a beating

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2022, 01:07:09 PM »

LOL! you said what I was afraid to say. Happens in other places as well though it can be intense on the V/C.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2022, 01:18:28 PM »

Do we know for sure that he's a business major at SFU ? Won't surprise me that it's another ruse to fatten his resume.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2022, 01:55:21 PM »

Our own George Santos!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2022, 02:05:55 PM »

He also currently lists himself as a server at Pizza Hut. I bet that's a lie [snork] [snork]

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2022, 02:22:47 PM »

I don't think so, there are always consequences, no different today than before.

yea but today's consequences don't put fear in anyone. If there is no fear to break the rules they will be broken. If they know the consequences are miniscule they have more motivation to do harm. Not that I think its so serious he should've gone to jail but still nowadays I think we are too soft.

if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2022, 03:15:59 PM »

Apparently the DFO is quite keen on pursuing Mr Mirea.

There may have actually been some laws broken for his little stunt.

Beyond wrongfully marking his license....
Fishing isn't catching

bobby b

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2022, 03:44:49 PM »

Now the DFO …

yea but today's consequences don't put fear in anyone.

I’d bet he’s also suffering somewhat …. via social media. 
He pretty much has gone dark. I’m sure he’s lost respect from his own family and friends etc… esp if this has affected any of his known associates and, by the sound of it, his accomplices.
The digital shadow of this will follow him for good. I’d hope the shame of this would keep him away from the river at least in the near future…..

If he did this, then he deserves the embarrassment and any legal issues that come of it. A cheat is a cheat and is probably always will be a cheat.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 03:46:47 PM by bobby b »

SALMONRULE

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2022, 03:49:44 PM »

Do we know for sure that he's a business major at SFU ? Won't surprise me that it's another ruse to fatten his resume.

Current SFU student here ... I’ve asked my buddies in the Business Program if they have heard of him and they haven’t but I would be surprised because “Beedie” business school has a reputation of being called “Beedie Bastards “ . Lots of slimey bastards are a product of that school. Who knows you might be able to Find Brian Mirea fishing at The SFU Koi Pond  ;D  ;D

sugartooth

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2022, 04:09:11 PM »

Apparently the DFO is quite keen on pursuing Mr Mirea.

There may have actually been some laws broken for his little stunt.

Beyond wrongfully marking his license....

I would be surprised if DFO got involved with this as they have no jurisdiction over steelhead.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2022, 04:46:00 PM »

I would venture to guess Brian Mirea and his buddy’s are laughing about this amongst themselves. Look at the jet boat goon that put the beat down on Rufus got off scott free and Brian will get away with this stunt without facing any charges as well i would think. These two incidents are very disgusting and gives the Chilliwack/Vedder river fishing community two black eyes.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2022, 05:04:43 PM »

...I would say three black eyes. 8)