Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Serious Clay Slide On The Chilliwack River  (Read 13756 times)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: Serious Clay Slide On The Chilliwack River
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2020, 10:09:15 AM »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2020, 10:43:07 AM »

Top Rods is a very exclusive club. You don't apply for membership. They come looking for you. From what I know, the members meet every Leap year to determine which new members can join. This might be your year fisher man. Keep your fingers crossed and your cell phone on.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2020, 11:25:06 AM »

Top Rods is a very exclusive club. You don't apply for membership. They come looking for you. From what I know, the members meet every Leap year to determine which new members can join. This might be your year fisher man. Keep your fingers crossed and your cell phone on.

I think you have it confused the Top Rods meet every year it's the king fishers that only meet every leap year.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2020, 11:34:39 AM »

all you need is the ball cap with the Top Rod logo. Rod sells them.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:38:59 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2020, 05:36:16 PM »

I dont normally fish the Chilliwack river. I prefer the solitude of the Chehalis. I did however fish the Chilliwack a few times this year. I ran into a dude fishing for brood the other day. I waved and asked how he was as we passed on a trail. I assume because I'm not in the special club that this was the reason why he ignored me. Guess I'm not cool enough for a hello or even a head nod. In my opinion the guy is a goof.

naka21

• Arie Nakagawa
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2020, 06:23:02 PM »

I don’t understand the reasoning for all the sarcastic remarks. Nobody was claiming there a “top rod” or anything so don’t get why theres guys here getting butt hurt. Do you disagree with what myself or everday posted earlier??

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2020, 07:30:20 PM »

I don’t understand the reasoning for all the sarcastic remarks. Nobody was claiming there a “top rod” or anything so don’t get why theres guys here getting butt hurt. Do you disagree with what myself or everday posted earlier??

don't think anyone is disagreeing with everyday or you by their post. i think this post is what got the topic off its course.

"Can I be a top rod, I catch a lot of stealhead a year but until now I don't tell people. I caught a wild on the boxing day derby but I didn't tell any other top rods, does it count? Do all the top rods know each other, is it a self proclaimed, do I need to know another self proclaimed top rod. Is there a list, can I be on this list?"

what people need to realize is the effort and time it takes to be a top rod, its earned by hard work. if you fish a system once or maybe twice a week you will never be a top rod.

no where am i implying that i am one fyi. i enjoy fishing to many different watersheds to ever become one. That and my full time job gets in the way.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 08:47:03 PM by bigblockfox »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2020, 09:08:22 PM »

I dont normally fish the Chilliwack river. I prefer the solitude of the Chehalis. I did however fish the Chilliwack a few times this year. I ran into a dude fishing for brood the other day. I waved and asked how he was as we passed on a trail. I assume because I'm not in the special club that this was the reason why he ignored me. Guess I'm not cool enough for a hello or even a head nod. In my opinion the guy is a goof.
Maybe he was pissed you were there? I have seen some anglers that get grumpy if your in a certain area of the river they plan to fish. If one carries a tube then IMO they are representing the hatchery and should conduct themselves accordingly.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2020, 12:57:23 PM »

Uh... To be a top rod, you need to be a Rod first... 8)

Does it really matter?

To make this fishery better, people need to be more inclusive and courteous. Stop looking down on others.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2020, 01:12:16 PM »

Bearing mind fishing is one recreation. Good at fishing equals to the ability of good at smoking or good at drinking.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2020, 01:30:38 PM »

Does it really matter?

To make this fishery better, people need to be more inclusive and courteous. Stop looking down on others.

Amen! or if you prefer... Well Said!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

banx

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2020, 02:44:21 PM »

Bearing mind fishing is one recreation. Good at fishing equals to the ability of good at smoking or good at drinking.

that's the vedder triathlon. I represented region 6 in '97. secured the bronze.  it was a great event.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2020, 03:29:41 PM »

You would have to ask Everyday as he knows all the top rods. Maybe he will put you on the list.  ;D

I know a couple people who I would consider very good anglers on the mainland. I'm hardly in touch with what goes on out there due to not living out there anymore. There are likely many good anglers that I don't know. Regardless, I still back up Naka in his original posts. There is no denying that 90% of the brood fish on the Vedder last year, and likely this year, were/will be brought in by 2 anglers. That's a pretty significant proportion.

I'm also not sure why there is so much sarcasm going on. I'd urge anyone who thinks they are a "top rod" to apply for brood permits and help the program(s) out (on their "home" flow). Who cares whether anyone thinks you're good or not, or if you tell people how many you get, etc. None of that matters. The take home point should be that there is a severe lacking of brood anglers bringing in fish on almost every other hatchery system besides the Vedder, and even until last year the Vedder was having difficulty. If you think/know you can contribute, then do it.

avid angler

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2020, 04:40:57 PM »

Does it really matter?

That wasn’t the intention of my original response that created this mess. What I was getting at originally is it grows tiring hearing guys talk about the doom and gloom of this fishery when in reality that isn’t the case at all. The Vedder/Chilliwack has lost a lot of it’s best holding water over the last 10 years. There’s more people then ever fishing for steelhead and you have probably 20-30% less fish then 2000-2015 like most systems along the coast.

Now you have 30-40% more guys fishing over 20-30% less fish with 30% less good fishable water. It makes things pretty tough for your run of the mill steelhead fisherman to be successful. In this new, tougher steelhead fishery the success rates between the average competent steelheader and a top rod is going to be miles apart. If anyone thinks the only thing that’s changed with the vedder steelhead fishery  is less fish then there kidding themselves.

The return this January has been on the stronger side when comparing it to the last 5 years. The biggest factor in low catches is the new clay slides keeping 90% of the river under 2 feet of visibility at all times.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 04:57:07 PM by avid angler »

SteelHunter

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2020, 10:31:07 PM »

I know a couple people who I would consider very good anglers on the mainland. I'm hardly in touch with what goes on out there due to not living out there anymore. There are likely many good anglers that I don't know. Regardless, I still back up Naka in his original posts. There is no denying that 90% of the brood fish on the Vedder last year, and likely this year, were/will be brought in by 2 anglers. That's a pretty significant proportion.

I'm also not sure why there is so much sarcasm going on. I'd urge anyone who thinks they are a "top rod" to apply for brood permits and help the program(s) out (on their "home" flow). Who cares whether anyone thinks you're good or not, or if you tell people how many you get, etc. None of that matters. The take home point should be that there is a severe lacking of brood anglers bringing in fish on almost every other hatchery system besides the Vedder, and even until last year the Vedder was having difficulty. If you think/know you can contribute, then do it.

Do you know what's the best way to apply for broodstock volunteering on the vedder? Who is the manager that organizes the permits?