Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Please critique my new setup  (Read 6877 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Please critique my new setup
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 10:31:53 PM »

3. The only guys you see fishing braided lines on the local rivers are frequently Fraser sockeye fishermen with their 10' leaders. They don't really fish, they hope to snag fish.

Seriously?

I've run braid the past 2 years now. Yep you're right I use a 10-20' leader, but there is no weight attached to the line and a massive shiny spoon attached to the end. I guess I snag fish inadvertently when they chase my spoon 40 feet and grab it. I must be one hell of a snagger getting 13 steelhead days with a spoon, or 20 coho days off the beach.

As for the argument of fish seeing the line... well, my best days have been on spoons with braided line after I've run various baits, etc over top of the fish (sight fishing). Maybe they can see it, but I can tell you one thing, they sure don't seem to care much.

Pro's:
1) Casting Distance
2) Great feel
3) No stretch = better hook-set on a 300+ ft swing on larger rivers
4) Strength vs size/diameter
5) Don't need to replace it as often

Just what I've found, and hey, my better days have been with 15 pnd braid rather than 8 pound mono like I use to run. Then again I might be snagging the fish now a days  ::)

PS The gear is good as long as you feel it's good. I tend to run cheap-ish shimano gear. I love shimano stuff. I normally run Penn reels though, good for salt water and cheap. I'm a big fan of lighter reels 2000/3000, but if you like larger, go for it! I find it hurts my wrist after a while with an unbalanced rod.

Mr Z

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »

I've run braid the past 2 years now. Yep you're right I use a 10-20' leader, but there is no weight attached to the line and a massive shiny spoon attached to the end.

Would you mind to explain why you use such a long leader? I never used Braid but in other riggs i found that usually 3/4' are enough even from a large pencil led.

I would expect that the knot would slow the cast down while going thought the guide which kind of defeat the purpose of using nanofil to cast further out.

Thanks

soliak

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 04:41:39 PM »

1. Braided line has been pushed by the bass guys and they fish mud waters. Steelhead and Salmon are fished in clear waters and braided line is visible.
2. Braided doesn't have any stretch and when you are float fishing it you feel every grain of sand in the water and that's not what you want. Well, not what I want.
    Bass guys never fish with float so they always fish with "feel" (retrieve) so it kind of works for them. When you are float fishing you should be focused on the float more.
3. The only guys you see fishing braided lines on the local rivers are frequently Fraser sockeye fishermen with their 10' leaders. They don't really fish, they hope to snag fish.
4. Braided line disrupts the quiet tranquility of fishing with the amount of noise it makes going through the rod guides.

The best thing is to try it and see for yourself.

You could not be more wrong if you tried.

The 'pros' exclusively use braided line with fluorocarbon leader, with the odd situational exceptions.

This is terrible advice, please don't give it again.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 05:18:49 PM »

You could not be more wrong if you tried.

The 'pros' exclusively use braided line with fluorocarbon leader, with the odd situational exceptions.

This is terrible advice, please don't give it again.

Lol, that's the problem.
The pros you are watching on WFN are all bass fishermen.
When I said pros, I didn't mean all those yanks yanking on the bass.
I'm talking about BC guides and experienced folk who have fished these rivers for a while.
You show me 1 who uses braid and I will show you 10 who use monofilament line.

Braid is a good line, just not for BC rivers.
When I want to stake a tomato plant, I use braid.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:27:08 PM by adriaticum »

Fishawn

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »

Mr. Z, were you able to get NanoFil in bulk? Or was it a 150 yard package? If so, where from? Love the stuff, just wish I could pack more on my reel.

Fillibert

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 03:10:13 PM »

Only put on as much braid as you plan to cast out. Use cheaper mono as backing. The thin diameter does bind with heavy hook sets so unless you plan to let the fish run and respool all your backing every time I would go with mono backing. Also nanofil has different colours. I like the green as it doesn't stand out as much as white.

Mr Z

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 03:45:30 PM »

Ok I went out fishing for a couple of days with my new setup and I really enjoyed it.

The rod is light with a good action, the reel really smooth and with this nanofil line I can cast really weel. I was casting same distance than other people with just the spinner on whilst others used extra weight. At one point I used a buzz bomb ( the smallest one ) and the cast went far enough for the guy on my side to turn around and congratulate :)

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions!!!

I really wanted to post a pick to celebrate the new gears but unfortunately luck didn't smile at me, no salmon... All I landed was some kind of flatfish not sure if it was good for eating so I'll let it go.

Mr. Z, were you able to get NanoFil in bulk? Or was it a 150 yard package? If so, where from? Love the stuff, just wish I could pack more on my reel.

I got the reel and line at "Berry's bait and tackle" in Richmond. My set up is what Filibert described a backing of strong mono and 150yd of nanofil at the end. Having said that I saw in the store that they have 300yrd too if you really want it.