Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser Chum  (Read 2476 times)

colin6101

Tidal Fraser Chum
« on: September 09, 2009, 08:59:41 AM »

Just wondering if anyone can clarify this for me, I was reading the regs trying to see if chum were open for retention in the tidal fraser and it doesn't say specifically on the DFO's website as far as I can tell. It says N/A under the retention limits, but the species that are closed say 0. Does this mean they are open all year like the pinks or they just don't think they are in there yet (which I know they are because I have some friends who have hooked into a couple early ones). If anyone can give me there insight that would be great, I don't want to end up catching one myself and not knowing whether I can keep it (obviously without knowing I would release it).

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Tidal Fraser Chum
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:27:13 AM »

Colin, it should be listed as open with a daily quota of four fish. I will send a note in to enquire about this, have whatever needs to be changed and update again.

Tidal Fraser chums usually start showing up around the third week of September and get caught occasionally while targeting pink salmon.

koko

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:54:36 PM »

Colin, it should be listed as open with a daily quota of four fish. I will send a note in to enquire about this, have whatever needs to be changed and update again.

Tidal Fraser chums usually start showing up around the third week of September and get caught occasionally while targeting pink salmon.

I have never target Chum on Frazer,Just wonder can you catch them on samll spoon, spinner and flys like Pink salmon, I guess you need a heavier rod

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 03:36:44 PM »

Chum beat the crap out of your gear.

I use an big, old spinning reel sometimes because a few massive runs would kill the drag on my levelwind.

I use roe when fishing for Chum.

colin6101

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 07:58:57 PM »

Thanks for the reply Rodney. You can definitely get into Chum fishing on the Fraser using the same things you would for pinks (the ones I have seen caught were while pink salmon fishing actually). The stave is by far the easiest river to catch chum in that I have ever fished though. I use a shimano convergence rod (8-17lb line rating) and have never had any problems with them, but they fight like crazy and I wouldn't target them on anything much lighter then what I use.

Jaws

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 09:20:54 PM »

Rod, what is the best way to fish for chum in the tidal portion of the Fraser?