Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Angling On The Fraser Threatened, Cheam File Injunction  (Read 64523 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Angling On The Fraser Threatened, Cheam File Injunction
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2005, 01:14:32 PM »

It is getting so close to the point and I thought I would never say this, is it time to do a drift of our own off Island 22. Would be a good media event and I have never seen the inside of a jail cell as I am sure if we did they would not hestitate to arrest us. It is called being a martyr isn't it. It would prove there is two laws in this country.

Like last year's protest, the DFO would make a big deal about arresting people deliberately breaking the laws then quietly drop the charges. They don't want to make it to court as it will only reveal the discriminatory policy of the DFO.  >:(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2005, 01:19:57 PM »

It is getting so close to the point and I thought I would never say this, is it time to do a drift of our own off Island 22. Would be a good media event and I have never seen the inside of a jail cell as I am sure if we did they would not hestitate to arrest us. It is called being a martyr isn't it. It would prove there is two laws in this country.

Like last year's protest, the DFO would make a big deal about arresting people deliberately breaking the laws then quietly drop the charges. They don't want to make it to court as it will only reveal the discriminatory policy of the DFO.  >:(
Being in the jail hotel I would be able to see all the Leaf games as i am sure they have satalilite TV. ;D ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #182 on: August 15, 2005, 01:21:54 PM »

What we need is media coverage of FN illegal fishing.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2005, 01:27:42 PM »

Being in the jail hotel I would be able to see all the Leaf games as i am sure they have satalilite TV. ;D ;D

I wouldn't know what would be worst punishment. Being in jail or forced to watch the Make Beliefs play shinny. ;D

Nikko

« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2005, 01:29:52 PM »

I'm disgusted.

I assume that whoevcer has actually witnessed this crime has  called the authorities ? Not that they'd do anything...

Wonder if Chopper 9 would head out there?

Nikko

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2005, 01:58:41 PM »

Chris has been constantly keeping a watch on wrong doings on the water, and not just reporting but also doing alot of work getting politicians, to see the problems.

But sadly, when it comes to FN issues, government just shut their ears, eyes, and hope that before next election people would forget.
Hey you know may be all these scandel stuff that comes out before election is to divert focus from FN issues?  ;D ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2005, 02:04:59 PM »

Then really, why would FN need to sell their catch? I thought their nature friendly, catch only what you need to eat?
Or has it become exploit the source get all the bucks you can ???

allwaysfishin

« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2005, 05:14:18 PM »

I don't know if i should say this out loud, but here goes
I like your idea Chris, a Very well publicized and extremely organized protest fishery may "have" to take place before government realizes that we mean business. Equal opportunity and conservation above ALL needs.

I spent the morning at seabird island bar 4:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and then the upper pipeline bar from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. I did not witness any drift nets and saw only 1 set net at the top of seabird island bar no where near sports fishers. Saw DFO helicopter 3 times only doing passes up and down the river. Saw no enforcement presence other than the chopper in the areas i visisted. Past thru hope looking for some sockeye to purchase and catch the sale on camera. Not a native to be seen lots of cops cruising town and tourists and travellers out the ying yang.
maybe i'll see about getting out tomorrow, my god i chewed thru 50.00 bucks in gas today from delta to hope and stuff........ even if sox did open who can afford the fuel these days?? :o

and BwiBwi, your last sentence sums it up in a nutshell, without question I beleive the answer to that is Yes. greed and gluttony, two of the greatest evils of the modern world.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 05:17:10 PM by allwaysfishin »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #188 on: August 15, 2005, 05:55:39 PM »

Yes it is costly being a volunteer fighting for fish for the future generations and for the fish's survival as well. If we do not it seems no on else willl. A number of us have send out e-mails, made phone calls the last couple odf days but we are getting no answers. They have gone into hiding. we must acknowledge it is not the ground troops as they are handcuffed by those above. We are having a couple of emercency FVSS and SDA meeting in the next few days to plan our response and a line of action.

Under the privlidge of a freelance newspaper reporter and freelancer for Global TV I gained access to a press conference on the telephone this afternoon. I missed some of it but what I did hear was very poor on the FOC representives. For example when asked by a fellow reporter about the incidents that happened this weekend at the Agassiz Bridge area, he answered he had not heard about it yet but would get back to the reporter. Of course as on an hour ago the reporter had heard nothing of course. We will see the story tomorrow if he did but I will not hold my breath.

Much of the other talk was about warm water etc. any excuse to get away from the true issues. One day the roster will come home to roost but will there be any fish left for anyone and all we will be eating is chicken.

Do not forget the special on Global TV tonight at 6, 5 minutes away. Repeat at 11?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #189 on: August 15, 2005, 06:34:32 PM »

Another weak reporting job by Global on the sockeye situtation I thought. They also show a shot of kokannee in a spawning channel and call them spawning sockeye no big deal I guess

Thousands of sockeye have been poached once again this year and no mention of it. All the talk is about the environmental problems, warm water, food source in the ocean etc..

There was one good part i thought was author Dennis Brown saying too many fish get on the spawning grounds some years creating a lack of food for the fry that is effecting their survival. This is something Bill agrees with.

No one touches the real reason there is no recreational fishing in the Fraser this year and that is the First Nation senario.

Around and around we go.

buck

« Reply #190 on: August 15, 2005, 09:25:33 PM »

Chris, lots of good information being exchanged and keep up the good work. I would like to make a comment however about the over escapement of sockeye to the spawning grounds. These statements are for the most part coming from lobby groups that are pro commercial fishing. Do you really think they want those fish on the spawning ground? Every fish that they don"t catch is a loss of revenue to the fisher. I would sooner have to many fish on the grounds rather than a shortage. How many fish do you think were on the grounds prior to heavy commercial fishing? Loooots! Over escapement on occasion can provide additional nutrient to the system which benefits not only fish production but other species. Lots of chatter about sockeye but nothing about the poor return of chinook. These fish will be the next in line for closure after all the hard work the salmon society has put in over the years. Flossing is having a large impact on these fish and should be curtailed. How many springs are making it past the gauntlet at peg-leg? Chinook stocks this year are in the toilet and should not even be open. First nations is certainly getting lots of press but lets take a step back and look what the sports angler is doing to the stocks. Do we really need 10 chinook each? I know several anglers who take their limit each year. How many of those end up freezer burnt and thrown out? Bar fishing should be the only method to harvest chinook up to the time when sockeye are open, and then one could retain a floss caught spring. Lets get back to some sanity in our fishing methods and sport. I bet your surpised to hear this from a flosser,  X bar fisher . Good job Chris ! Not long until coho fishing.   

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2005, 10:46:59 PM »

Buck.........Well said and I could not agree more on the bar fishing only(stationary weight) until such time as the sockeye are open.....
While out on the river over the weekend I was blowin away by the number of people bottom bouncing,( I thought they had opened the river for sockeye and forgot to tell me) In a time when DFO has requested SELECTIVE ANGLING....
With all the comments directed at the first nations for there total disrespect of the DFO (and rightfully so) and the law, any person who chooses the bottom bouncing method in the name of selective angling is showing the same respect for the DFO request as the first nation,,perhaps the natives would have more respect for the sport fishermen if they seen the majority following the DFO request(all though I some how doubt this, it is still one less argument they have against the sport fishermen)..The way I see it, is if you are flossing during this time of selective angling you have no right to complain against the natives....

A big thanks to the SDA and Mr Gadsden for there efforts in watching over and fighting for this great River and the angling opportunities it can give.please don't spoil there efforts by giving the sport fishermen a bad name

P.S. don't forget to contribute SDA fund every little bit will help...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2005, 10:49:41 PM »

Thanks buck, BwiBwi, Freddy 2596 and others for the kind words but remember there is lots of other working hard as well, for all of us and the fish.

Good stuff buck on the over escapement and the point you made re fish on the grounds before humans got here and screwed it up. The nutrient factor is as you mentioned very important as well. I certainly am not a scientist so what I reported re the over escapement may be incorrect.

I do know that FOC is trying to avoid the whole issue as I stated earlier they have gone into hiding and will not answer e-mails or phone calls from a number of us. In some of those on the lower part of the totem pole I canot blame as they will just be following orders from a bove to keep quiet.

The same goes for the FOC enforcement staff who got in a bit of a pickle on Saturday and it seems the RCMP have been instucted to not get involved as well.

Numerous complaints are coming into the OB report line but for the reasons mentioned they seem to be left in the file to gather dust.

I would hope some of the reason I have stated are wrong but as no will inform us what is going on I think I am correct. I will stand by that until I hear or see otherwise.

On todays press conference once again Paul Ryall was asked by a reporter about the incidents on the weekend, he said he had received nothing but would get the information for him but the reporter had not heard back about a hour before press time. Maybe he did call as he said he would but I will be surprised if he found the time to do so. :-\

Fortunally Frank was able to tell the reporter what went on anyway so watch for the info in tomorrow's edition.

What sorry times we find ourselves in. I have located a drift net to use in a protest but we will have to put our heads together to see if it would accomplish anything. I am planning a number of fishing and hunting trips in the next few weeks so I do not really want to miss them by spending time in the jail hotel. It is too bad that those that are entrusted in looking after our fis refuse to do so to drive law abiding citizens to even consider such actions. As I type this at 10:49 pm more sockeye will be drawing their final breath in the bottom of an illegal drift boat. I feel at this time helpless to help them.

It has been another long day as the Sockeye Wars continue, by the way I must pick up the book with that title. Until tomorrow good night.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 10:52:23 PM by chris gadsden »

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2005, 05:05:04 AM »

yes orders from above
don't rock the boat and blame the water

do you think global acctually had any one investigating their story
or did they just tow the dfo line

remember a large part of globals revenue comes from government
advertising

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2005, 07:23:53 AM »

Read the article in The Vancover Sun today, more denial by FOC and poor reporting. It seems the only way to get the truth out is through FWR and other fishing forums. No one would answer Bill's letter, a copy posted on FWR. A gag order directive is now on for all but the top staff and they will talk to only who they can buffallo, that is the media. For example Savard said to the reporter and I quote "he said he had discussed the matter with his staff and had been told while there has been some issues, some potential violations in the Cheam areas, and interaction and discussion with the Cheam, but to the best of my understanding, they were not chased off the water as Mr Otway is indicating".

What a bunch of hogwash as we obtain the complete opposite but of course off the record from some inside information.

Also check the Observe and Report line Mr. Savard as you will see numerous compliants and reports of the illegal fishing the last few weeks. You should be a shamed of yourself Mr. Savard for not looking after our fish, stop blaming the hot water conditions and every thing but the truth.

The one positive is, if you can call it a positive is a number of FOC staff read these forums and they know we know what is really going on.This does not help the fish though.To bad they only lurk but if they dared to post what they really know they would be on the unemployement line.

Too bad as in a what I believe is supposed to be a democratic society this is allowed to go on.

Bite the bullet Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the Federal Government, things will get a lot worse before it gets better as our society and the fish continue to suffer because of inaction.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 08:55:25 AM by chris gadsden »