Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder condition not great March 26th  (Read 2924 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Vedder condition not great March 26th
« on: March 26, 2005, 01:22:14 PM »

Just got words from a friend who was there this morning, saying the lower river's visibility is down to 1 foot or less, greyish colour and level is rising. Any other confirmations? Saving members some gas money. :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder condition not great March 26th
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 01:33:27 PM »

Thanks for the report Rodney. Saved me some $$$

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 01:38:34 PM »

good news   the flossers wont be getting them at KW now

So where are you going to fish now Cammer? ;)

RVT

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 10:27:02 PM »

River didn't look too bad this morning, but by this afternoon it was pretty messy.  Rained hard  most of the day,and into the evening so I don't think it's very promising for Sunday.Poked my head out the door just now(10:20p.m.) and it's still raining. Think it'll be a good day to take in Pinhead's hockey tournament.

OhU812?

• EAT IT!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 09:03:47 AM »

I'm not much for that gong show type fishing either. Some of those guys at KW won't fish anywhere else because they have to walk more than 10 feet to get to the hole. Steel is much sweeter when you have to do a bit of work for it. I haven't seen anyone flossing at KW though, except well maybe the odd guy with a spey rod. ;)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 12:25:11 PM »

I'm not much for that gong show type fishing either. Some of those guys at KW won't fish anywhere else because they have to walk more than 10 feet to get to the hole. Steel is much sweeter when you have to do a bit of work for it. I haven't seen anyone flossing at KW though, except well maybe the odd guy with a spey rod. ;)

Are you talking about the old scotish guy with the 16foot spey rod from norway?
Actions speak louder than words.

OhU812?

• EAT IT!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 03:11:27 PM »

Are you talking about the old scotish guy with the 16foot spey rod from norway?

Noone in particular. However , I did overhear one spey guy saying how pro bait ban he was and blah,blah,blah,blah,blah, as he flossed and bonked a hatchery fish right accross from me. Whatever, as long as he feels better about bonking a fish cuz he didn't use any bait, that's the important thing. Anyhow, without being too political lets just keep it legal. "flossing is snagging,and sportsmen don't snag" or something like that. Is swinging a fly through a fishes mouth sportsmanlike?  hehehehe.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 03:53:51 PM »

How do you equate spey fishing with flossing ?

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 04:07:06 PM »

I agree with you OhU812, fly fishing on the Vedder or any body of water with current can be a flossing show par excellence. Some fly fishermen (not you though) with thier line in a nice circular arc and thier 9ft. or even 12ft leaders coursing through the water in the exact same fashion as a flosser would like us to believe that the fish chased and bit thier fly. Sometimes the fish do take a fly on the river, but it does'nt take a genius to figure out that fly fishers employ a technique that inevitably is a flossing technique in a lot of situations. Now I fly fish and absolutely love it but I only fly fish on lakes where the take is truly a take and not on rivers where the currents flow coupled with long leaders eventually will yield a flossed fish. Purist's! Perhaps only in thier own mind.  :D  

OhU812?

• EAT IT!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 06:56:48 PM »

How do you equate spey fishing with flossing ?

Don't know. Never spey fished. How do you differentiate it? Looks to me (the lehman) like you throw 40 feet of line or so up current with a 9 foot leader or so , and strip it in at or near the bottom of the drift in the strike zone, thus dragging the fly through the fishes mouth? Tell me , whats the difference between flossing? A thousand dollars worth of rod and reel I'm willing o bet. Whatever keeps y'all on your soap box though! :D :D :D :D Don't take it personally, I've never spey fished but it must be some feeling to hook a steel on a fly rod. I fish centrepin, different method , but with fish on line ,just as much fun I'm sure.

steelheadjunkie

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 11:46:17 PM »

OhU812? What you witnessed is flossing or snagging with a fly rod, and is not even similar to the proper downstream and across swing/hangdown technique.  The last fish I got was with a type 3 and I was well off the bottom casting downstream and slowly swinging in. No upstream casting or stripping at all.. I have found in the spring on the Vedder you can be quite away off the bottom as long as your fly swings really slow. With light tips you can swing your fly very close into shore and even let it sit on the hangdown in very shallow waterfor 10-15 seconds. Many of my fish hit the fly after 10 seconds of letting it sit motionless directly downstream at the end of my swing. Sometimes in water barely deep enough to cover their backs!