Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Local River March 27  (Read 1713 times)

Robert

Local River March 27
« on: March 27, 2005, 01:44:21 PM »

I got to the river at about 6:30am, the water was quite high with good visability, very fishable.  Today, I didn't really bother using spinners because the flow was too fast today, however, I did make a few casts with the spinner, but it was no use.  Anyways, I drift fished with roe bags, clusters of roe, and ghost shrimp.  At about 9:00am I hooked my first steelhead on a ghost shrimp and after 10 seconds or so, not quite sure, I lost it.  I continued using ghost shrimp but nothing seemed to happen for a while so, I decided to put on a nice medium sized roe bag filled with chum roe which was cured a pink colour.  On my 2nd drift my float was taken down so, I set the hook and steely on, not so good since the steelhead went straight down river into the white water :o and my leader snapped right off.  After that, I fished some more trying different spots before calling it a day at about 12:30 or so.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
Re: Local River March 27
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 02:09:42 PM »

Well anyway you got into two fish, good job on most days.
Fish on!

Robert

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 02:19:01 PM »

Yeah, it wasn't a bad day.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 02:46:49 PM »

Nice going Robert at least you got to play a couple for a few seconds and get that adrenile rush one gets when lightning strikes. And in your case it struck twice, good job :).

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 03:55:57 PM »

Better than me today. Had one hit on a roe bag.

fishinfever

• fishing is REELality
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 09:14:12 PM »

Got to the river about 1:30. Mid river water was a little high and fast tried jigs to no avail. worked back up stream with spoons. On one hole couldn't get control of spoon where i wanted it. so i added a float about 7 feet up from spoon and it worked. Hooked into one big steelhead 16 lbs at least. He rolled on the surface a couple of times then went back down deep and off into the current. I managed to get him out of the current but he stayed down deep   and would not let me move him for what seemed like minutes and then ever so slowly he came to the surface and looked at me as if to say is that you tugging on my jaw. get lost and he was gone back to deep and found a rock to break my line off. Adrenalin was running so strong had to sit down wait for my hand to stop shaking so i could tie a knot. That fish never had any doubt he was in control.
 Just when i thinking it wasn't worth the effort to hook a steely I'm hooked again. 10 times out and only one hooked but worth it.
         Thats my story and i'm sticking to it.

Robert

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 09:21:34 PM »

Nice report fishinfever.  Too bad you lost that steely, but once they decide to go down river or break you off on some structure it's really hard to stop them, especially in high and swift water like it was today.

fishinfever

• fishing is REELality
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 09:31:59 PM »

Been so long since had fish on it was great feeling just to have had the brief fight.

Robert

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 09:35:01 PM »

Well at least you had it on briefly, it's always a great feeling when you hook into a steelhead.