Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: South West VI  (Read 2115 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
South West VI
« on: March 25, 2005, 08:56:59 PM »

Well, after a fairly unseccessful trip in the Vncouver harbour recently, dad and I decided to head out a bit and see what we could find.

We'd been planning this trip for a little while now, and it was rather nice to finaly get out and do a bit of fihsing in some unfamiliar water. We arrived at around 3:30 on wednesday afternoon, we ran a little late when we had to drop the dog off with some friends. We went to Pedder Bay Marina, they let us moor our boat for the time we were there and allowed us the freedom to dump the boat and trailer for the trip.

We were out and on the "grounds" at around 4:30 and had our gear in the water. The weather was INCREADIBLE, I've atached some pics of what it looked like when we were out there. The sun was right up and not much cloud cover, we were loving it, it didn't really matter if we got into any fish that day, we were uts happy to be out. We fished 2 rods, both wth anchovies at depths ranging from 75-130 ft on the riger cable. The result for day 1 = 0.

Day 2 was just as beautiful, but a little colder in the morning. The afternoon shaped up rather nicely. We fished the same rigs at similar depths from the day before. We had spoken to one of the guys at the marina that morning, and we were fihsing in the "right zone" on the day 1, so we decided to stay at it. We were rewarded, at around 10:10, dad's rigger popped, after a brief tussle, a bright chinook came to the boat and my waiting net. it was legal, and hatchery, we bonked it. Aftre cranking around for a little while longer, we had had a couple more hits (riggers popping, and anchovies disappearing...) we decided ot head offshore and try for a little halibut. We dropped herrng chunks for about 2 hours with nothing hitting. We headed back to the marina for a break and to get some food.

We gutted our little fishey, and was about to go up for somethign to eat. Another boat wht 3-4 guys in it pulled in with a good sized hali, they weighed it in at ~50 lbs, a nice hali in anyone's books. They put it in a little cart and headed down the dock to the gutting table. The guy just stood there for a while looking at it. I asked if he wanted a hand, he said yes, and I spent the next little while cutting up the biggets hali I've ever had to cut. Took 4 good sized fillets off of it, each weighing ~9 lbs. We then geared up and headed back out. Neddless to say, we fished similar depths for the rest of the day. Day 2 = 1 salmon.

That evening, we met a very nice gentleman named Steve, we was hauling a LOT of gear down to his boat, we offered ot help move the gear. When we got to his boat (which proved to be very large indeed) he invited us on board. He "showed us the way" and reccomended an area called "constance bank." Steve, if you read this, many thanks for all of your help, I'm sure we'll be back...

Day 3 started off like the previous 2. Our game for the day would be halibut, but first, we were going to wait for the tides ot settle down a bit. We trolled around for about an hour, a few popped riggers and lost anchovie, and we decided to head offshore. We found Steve pretty quick, they hadn't been into anything so far and the current was ripping pretty good. He was anchored, we didn't have an anchor and drift fished for a while with a combo of herring and sardines. Needless to say, we weren't able to get into any flatties. We later decided to switch to trolling around for some salmon, put the riggers near the bottom. We didn't land any salmon, but think we MAY have had a few hits. We did though pull up a few very small ling cod, they were promply released after taking a shot at our anchovies. Day 3 = 0.

One aditional highlight of Friday was a small pod orcas that we spotted a little offshore from where we were on the banks. We snapped a shot, and headed for home. On the ferry, we saw an additional pod of dolphines, or porpoises, we saw these quite close to Vancouver really.

All in all, a truly AWESOME trip, although we didn't get into many fish, the weather coorperated, as did the water. Apparently, the area has blown up somewhat just as we left as a storm of some sort came in.

Here are the pics from the trip:

Day 1

Day 2
This is our trophy shot for the trip, I know it isn't huge, but it sure was fun. It's a hatchery fish too, and there was a head depo at the marina, we're hoping for the best.

Day 3
The orcas

Heading home
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
Re: South West VI
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 09:20:32 PM »

cool pics,sounds like you had a good time.
Please honey can i go fishing now???

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 09:58:47 PM »

Very nice report and good pictures as well.

Usually at this time of year the herring come into the Gorge and anglers fish with herring jigs for them. Did you see or hear if they were getting them while you were there?

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 10:17:36 PM »

Glad you had fun there Spudcote.

Nice Fish!

I have a friend that lives over there and the fishing wasn't red hot recently.

Anchovy is a good rig, but part of the problem with the chovy is that popped riggers can be a real nuisance with smaller fish.

Sharpen your hooks razor sharp!!

Next time For Halis.., try trolling for em using full size hootchies or whole herring right off the bottom, especially when the tide is ripping.. otherwise, you have to hope that you either drop your bait right on them, or they hone in on your bait... if you don't get anything in 20 mins..pick up and move is a good bet...

As for fishing for feeders...may I recommend passing on the 'chovies for a little while as little fish with drive you nuts!!!! ... Just use spoons on a 4 to 5 foot leader...Coyotes work really nice at this time of year...or run some hootchies with green in them, straight up white, purple haze, mint julep...etc... again...Razor sharp hooks. I GUARANTEE if the riggers pop and you are right on that rod reeling up in a hurry and setting the hooks, you have a hook up!

Glad your trip turned out fun, with some success, and lots of fun! :)

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 10:21:21 PM »

From Island Outfitters fishing report page... dated March 21....

Salt Water Fishing for March 21
Overview
Halibut fishing has been the primary focus! Winter spring (Chinook) fishing has been spotty for salmon up to 20 lbs. Herring are still being caught in the Gorge. If you have any fishing info that you would like to share or have included in our fishing report, please email us!
Sooke
Salmon fishing was SLOWER this past week. There are still springs around and anglers did salmon weighing up to 18 lbs. The Sooke Bluffs and the Trailer Park are still the best spots for winter springs. Anglers are fishing deep, starting around 120 feet for the springs and then going deeper until they find the fish. Anchovy was the most successful bait and the most successful teaser heads were the Glo, Glo Scale, Cop Car and the Purple Haze. Plastic baits (hootchies and squirts) have been good too this past week. The best hootchies were Glo Below, Cloverleaf, Purple Haze and the Glow Head. Purple Haze and Jellyfish Plaid flashers were attracting lots of springs. Spoons are working great and the best ones are the Coyotes, Titans, Devil Tail or Gibbs Gators in Glow /Green or Glow/Black. Halibut fishing near Jordan River has been PRETTY GOOD with hali’s up to 80 lbs coming back in with the boats.
Becher Bay
Salmon fishing remains SLOW and anglers have had to work hard for their fish. Winter springs caught this past week weighed up to 13 lbs and most were taken between the marina and Church Rock. The winter springs have been as shallow as 60 feet, and so most anglers are starting fishing at 60 to 75 feet inside the bay and then trolling out to Creyke Point and back. Further out, 90 to 130 feet has been the best depth for springs. Anglers trolling small anchovies in Cop Car, Glo or Glo Scale Rhys Davis teaser heads behind glow in the dark flashers were catching springs. Hootchies were productive last week and the hot patterns have been the Moby Dick and the Glo Below. Other productive lures for salmon this past week were Coyote and Titans spoons in Green/silver or Green/Glow. 
Pedder Bay
The salmon fishing was PRETTY GOOD this past week. Salmon anglers are having their best luck in front of Pedder Bay near the can buoy. Salmon up to 15 lbs came from there while Whirl Bay continued to produce smaller fish. Start fishing in 120 to 150 feet of water and troll close to the bottom for best results. Like last week, the Green and Glow color patterns have been the best for lures. The Glo and Glo Scale were the best teaser heads to use in combination with glow in the dark flashers. If you want to troll spoons, use Green/Glow or Cop Car Coyotes or Titans. Hootchies and squirts have been good with the Cricket, Glow Head and Purple Haze being “hot” ones. Purple Haze and Jellyfish Plaid flashers were especially good in combination with any of the Jellyfish patterns. HALIBUT – Halibut fishing has been GOOD due to better tides this past week. Recent weigh in’s from the Race Rocks area were 60, 53, 53, 44, 32 and 30 lbs plus lots of “chickens”. Productive spots were the 18 Fathom Reef, the 27 Fathom Reef and the Reef off William Head. Extra Large Herring or Octopus fished off of a spreader bar with a 2 lb weight is the best bet to catch the big flatfish, although some anglers use jigs such as the Mudraker or Lucky Jig with good success. 
Victoria Waterfront
Salmon fishing is SPOTTY along the waterfront but BETTER out at Constance Bank. At the Bank, anglers have caught salmon as large as 20 lbs, but most have been much smaller. On the bank, anglers fishing trolling in 140 to 120 feet of water with the downrigger at 120 to 110 feet did well on anchovy and purple haze hootchies. Closer in the seals and sea lions still are a problem and the springs are scattered from Trial Island to the Albert Head, depending on where the tides have pushed the fish. Fish near the bottom, starting at least 80 feet deep and out to 200 feet along the waterfront, for your best chance at a winter spring. Anchovies or minnows in Glo or Glo Scale teaser heads were working well. If you want to troll spoons, use Green/White, Black/White, and Army Truck color combinations. Squirts and hootchies in Glo Below, Irish Mist or Jellyfish patterns have also been very good baits. Purple Haze and Jellyfish Plaid flashers were especially good in combination with any of the Jellyfish patterns. Crabbing has been poor but the herring fishing is still good in the Gorge. HALIBUT – Halibut fishing has been GOOD due to weaker tides this past week. In fact, most anglers have been fishing for halibut now rather than salmon. Halibut up to 60 lbs have been brought in this past week as well as lots of “chickens”. Extra Large Herring or Octopus fished off of a spreader bar with a 2 lb weight is the most popular bet to catch the big flatfish, although some anglers use jigs such as the Mudraker or Lucky Jig with good success. 
Oak Bay
Salmon fishing was NOT TOO BAD for winter springs reaching 12 lbs in size. The Flats and south of Trial Island were the most productive areas. Troll about 10 -20 feet off of the bottom for best results and try different depths until you hit the winter springs. Small anchovy and 5.5” Herring have been very productive baits for trolling up winter springs here, especially when fished in glow teaser heads with glow flashers. The best patterns for hootchies and squirts have been the Green/White, Black Jellyfish, Jellyfish, and Purple Haze. Purple Glow flashers have been good with Jellyfish, Purple Haze, and Glow Head Hootchies. If you want to troll spoons, use Cop Car, Green/White or Green/Glow spoons. HALIBUT – Halibut fishing has been GOOD due to weaker tides this past week. Halibut up to 80 lbs have been reported as well as “chickens” weighing up to 25 lbs. The reefs south of Discovery Island have been the best place to halibut fish. Most of the halibut were caught using Extra Large Herring and/or Octopus fished off of a spreader bar with a 2 lb weight. 
Sidney
Salmon fishing was VERY SLOW AGAIN this past week and we don’t know of any fish being caught at all. Best bets for the coming week would be Fairfax Point, Coal Island and the Sidney Channel. The most productive bait has been anchovy or Tiny Strip fished in a Glo Rhys Davis teaser head. Other favorite Sidney area lures have been Tiny Strip and spoons. Use a glow in the dark teaser head and fish close to bottom. The most popular spoons have been the #4 Coyotes, #4 Titans or the Gibbs Gypsy in Glow White/Green or Silver/Green. 

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 10:30:03 PM »

Thanks again FM. I read that report before leaving home. I phoned ahead to the Marina, and they said that fihsing was quite slow, but the odd fish was still being picked up. Our fish was the only fish I heard of that day, I heard of the 13 lb chinook taken the day we arrived, but nothing other than those 2.

We cranking around a whole sardine on one of the riggers towards the end of the day (we ran out of anchovies), and didn't recieve any hits. We were drifting at a fair old lick, but were able to maintain the hali lines in a near verticle angle (when we weren't trolling).
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 12:48:44 AM »

Spudcote im just woundering what size boat and motor are u running??

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 02:18:34 AM »

17.5 ft aluminium wiht a 40 hp on the back, console is on the starboard (right) side. Did you see us ?
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 09:36:13 AM »

Nice report! Further up island the fishing is horrible. No fish what so ever have been caught. I was out yesterday but got nothing may go out tonight or tommorow if the boats still there. We had 90km/h gusts at the weather station a couple miles from our house  and no power this morning :P We also went to a sea lion colony. They were not in a good mood i guessing because its spring. A number charged the boat so we left but not before getting some nice pics. If any one wants ill send them to rod to post them.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 07:31:03 PM »

Actually what I have been hearing is from Deep Bay, in Bowser, BC.

I have heard that Denman, Hornby, Lasqueti, and all that area has been RED HOT for springs to 20 LBS...

I heard this one guy going off in Barry's Bait and Tackle when I was picking up a couple of items.

I talked to him since I used to fish around there when I was a kid and he said to leave the bait at home. :)

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 10:01:59 AM »

Never heared of people useing bait for salmon around here. Maybe because we have quite a few dogfish ??? That report is from a charter up there. I live about 50 miles south of there. That report is always saying its awsome fishing fishing up there. It might be   because it is in French creek near us has been good. I cant drive yet so i cant trailer our boat anywhere and it is not great in nanoose. Its been a while since it had been good but may and june is good when the fraser chinooks come by. All this talk of fishing makes me want to go out! I think ill o out this evening ill post if i get anything.