Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kudos for C.O.s  (Read 5415 times)

Morty

Kudos for C.O.s
« on: June 28, 2009, 11:58:06 PM »

Was fishing at Haig Scale bar 3 of the past 4 days.  COs came by several times checking licenses and tackle.  On Saturday they came in to the top boundary quickly by jet boat and gave warnings to several that were fishing out of bounds.  Later some COs returned again on foot and ticketed a few.  This evening they came by in a helicopter and broadcast a request to those out of bounds to move downstream.  The chopper waited for the wayward few to move, then circled around, came back and broadcast a "Thank You". 

From what I've seen so fat, they are doing their job very effectively this year.  A Class Act !

Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 03:50:41 PM by Morty »
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

drivel

Re: Kudos for C.O.s
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 12:07:14 AM »

wow, that sounds like quite the serious operation.  great to hear!!

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 05:41:42 PM »

I talked to them two times as well.Told them it was great to see them out there as many of us have lamented in past.I also gave them support on the lack of funding.One point I made was that this while a very good thing,it needs expansion to some other trouble spots.The officer I spoke to said this is the plan.
Riverman

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 06:35:42 PM »

Was fishing at Haig Scale bar 3 of the past 4 days.  COs came by several times checking licenses and tackle.  On Saturday they came in to the top boundary quickly by jet boat and gave warnings to several that were fishing out of bounds.  Later some COs returned again on foot and ticketed a few.  This evening they came by in a helicopter and broadcast a request to those out of bounds to move downstream.  The chopper waited for the wayward few to move, then circled around, came back and broadcast a "Thank You". 

From what I've seen so fat, they are doing their job very effectively this year.  A Class Act !

Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the report. Where they Federal or Provincial officers?

nosey

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 07:15:50 PM »

Good to see a "good news" report here.

Float Drowner

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 10:25:41 PM »

Had the chance to talk with a Federal guy two weeks ago at a non-fishing related place.  Just starting chatting and found out he works for them.  He sounded so frustrated as well with how things have been handled in the past.  I can't imagine taking on their job where you can't seem to make anybody happy.  Glad we have a few who want to do it though.
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

odesseus

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 01:00:18 AM »

Thanks for the report. Where they Federal or Provincial officers?

They were federal officers. Although what really suprised me was the number of individuals that seemed to melt away once the conservation officers appeared!! Especially the ones with fish who returned later.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:03:20 AM by odesseus »

RossP

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 01:40:38 PM »

Nice to hear. Thanks for the report.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

goinfishin

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 11:57:44 PM »

Do they make this grand entrance every year? or are we looking a something different this year in terms of enforcement?

lapa

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 11:44:21 PM »

Do they make this grand entrance every year? or are we looking a something different this year in terms of enforcement?
Last year I didn't see any. This year I was checked twice.

goinfishin

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 08:59:21 PM »

Last year I didn't see any. This year I was checked twice.

nice  ;D want to see them out in force on the vedder.

scuntor

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 09:28:15 PM »

I've been checked once in many times out. Laws really don't matter when enforcement is non existent. It would be nice if they would spend a little more to protect the fishery and make sure that everyone fairly takes their fair share.

jimmywits

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 10:03:17 AM »

Good news, Glad to hear it, I wish they could spend some time at Rice Lake in North Van. Every time I have gone there I have seen poaching. I always say something to the persons and depending on the response I get, I may phone the hot line. The only responce from the CO's that I have ever received over the phone is an explanation as to why they cannot respond at that given time. One time they asked me to tail the culprits to get their license number. I tried my best but I was too far behind them and on foot. I am almost finding going there stressfull, as confrontation is not a pleasant thing to have to deal with, and the exact opposite experience I seek when I go fishing. I am sure that Rice Lake is not the only urban lake with this problem. With the intense stocking of these urban lakes I worry that it may be in effect breeding a population of poachers that partake only because these lakes are so easy to get to. Have you ever noticed how few people will hike through the bush to fish a lake. Anyway I hope this good news is a sign of things to come!

sreeb

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 10:04:02 PM »

Using a helicopter to patrol the river must cost a ton. They could stop doing that and then afford to patrol twice as much on the water. Pretty hard to give out fines from a helicopter.