Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Nations Fraser River Fisheries July 30th - August 1st  (Read 10585 times)

allwaysfishin

Re: First Nations Fraser River Fisheries July 30th - August 1st
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2005, 05:31:14 PM »

i have had conversations with natives from outside the Cheam/Sto lo region and they are just as fed up as us sporties with the behaviors and me first attitude of our local bands.
I wonder how many boozed up fn's we'll see wandering around Rosedale and Hope bars over the next few days.
Some will say that comment is nasty and unecessary, BULL, I lived in Rosedale and Chilliwack for a number of years. Funny to watch those ceremonial sockeye turn into molson canadian or Canadian Club within days of netting openings.
The word of the Cheam and the Sto'Lo have no meaning to me, if they say conservation to sustain the resource is important to them..... I call them LIARS and HIPOCRATES.
I also have close friendly ties to former members of the Cheam's fishery, anyone remember the Ned family?? Well, the individual I know was a very active member of the band when it came to the fishery, he now wants nothing to do with it because he does not agree with band policy on these fisheries.
After having his own nets stolen in the night from his net shed and his "brothers" in the band stealing them to go fish at night to get money for beer and barbeque, netting 350 sox in a few hours and selling as many as they could before the ice was all gone. It was estimated by my friend that they managed to sell about 50 of thier catch ($500.00) and had to dump 4 coolers of rotting sox because they had no way to keep them cold. utterly shameful and the "real deal" on how these people behave.
well, I'm done

roeman

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2005, 07:07:20 PM »

Who are we to tell the First Nations to stop fishing for the fish that they have depended on for thousands of years because of conservation concerns after most of the stocks were originally wiped out by us in the early part of last century?

Things change.............. Get a JOB if they want to eat, like most other Canadians
Are you fishin or catchin

fisher88

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2005, 09:27:02 PM »

i experienced soemthgn today on the cap that i never realized. down by park royal mall there is a little bridge that crosses the cap below marine drive. I was on it looking down and noticed a huge rock weir they made. It was really low water so i doubt many fish come up but if they do they are defiently not getting by!!. Im not sure if some do come up but the whole river was like blocked. It was pathetic. I was ready to run down there and start throwing rocks everywhere. But i knew that wastn the right thign to do. and they probably wernt gettign anythign so i decided not to. IT PISSED ME OFF!! :-X
If you aint dutch you aint much!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2005, 10:14:54 PM »

even though i said i was done..... :D

the cap is a different thing altogether. the remaining runs in the cap are totally man made. not runs that are still totally wild like the stuart sockeye.
although it bugs me that our liscence monies fund the salmon enhancement on the cap and it is the natives below park royal who think they own the fish.
oh well, my faith in an honest working agreement on the fraser is completey dashed. This weekends FN fishery shows me the true colors of the mission to hope FN's and the DFO. Too bad it is the Early Stuart and Early Summer sockeye that have to pay the price.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2005, 10:32:16 PM »

i experienced soemthgn today on the cap that i never realized. down by park royal mall there is a little bridge that crosses the cap below marine drive. I was on it looking down and noticed a huge rock weir they made. It was really low water so i doubt many fish come up but if they do they are defiently not getting by!!. Im not sure if some do come up but the whole river was like blocked. It was pathetic. I was ready to run down there and start throwing rocks everywhere. But i knew that wastn the right thign to do. and they probably wernt gettign anythign so i decided not to. IT PISSED ME OFF!! :-X

They've been constructing fishing weirs down there for as long as I can remember

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2005, 03:02:08 PM »

I was ready to run down there and start throwing rocks everywhere. But i knew that wastn the right thign to do. and they probably wernt gettign anythign so i decided not to. IT PISSED ME OFF!! :-X

Good decision. Please don't touch those weirs, any unlawful action would only escalate the tension. Keep in mind, as mentioned earlier, we are talking about two completely different fisheries. The native fisheries are food fisheries. To them, a fish is not a toy as a recreational angler would see it, but a food substance. How it is caught may not be accepted by the recreational sector, because they are not doing it for the recreational aspect.

Information of the Capilano Weirs can be found on this page. You may not agree with all of the points in the document. If that's the case, you're welcome to provide feedbacks by posting them here or email to info@fishingwithrod.com and I would be happy to forward those concerns to the staff that is responsible.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2005, 03:16:52 PM »

Regarding illegal sales of the fish caught by FN, make your concerns heard by phoning the offices whenever you see a sale going on. Write letters in to those who can make a difference. Report all illegal activities by phoning the OOR line (1-800-465-4336), even if you believe nothing would be done. If calls continue to flood in, actions will be taken. Make the problems heard otherwise it'll still go on without being noticed by majority of the public.

Keep in mind illegal sales of the fish are being done by some FN, not all. Most do want to make a difference, built a better trusting relationship with other communities. However this cannot happen until both all sectors sit down together, express their concerns about each other, develop understandings and solutions to the issues. No FN individuals are going to listen to your demands unless you listen to their thoughts. Comments such as "get a job if you want to eat", or "stop living in the past" are not helpful.

Keep in mind the media loves this sort of tensions. They love to phone the major players of each side to make comments. Those comments are sometimes manipulated in articles just to stir things up. Don't get caught up in it.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2005, 04:59:27 PM »

The thing that gets my blood boiling is the unfare treatment. Native fishermen ofcourse deserve all their right to fish the river for one of the most important resource to them. The stupid part is we all have to sit on the side while we wach the salmon stocks become more depleted. Chance are when we get a chance to wet our lines there wont be much left. I dont understand why they let the bigger monster eat all the salmon he wants and then let the smaller one eat the left overs when we are tryign to protect the salmon.
[

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2005, 06:19:30 PM »

Allwaysfishing.............I am disgusted by your genrelization of the first nation brothers on the river with regards to booze....that being said,,,.there are more non nativ yahoo's on the river drinking and smoking  on any givin day of the week.......I also read on the report page your total lack of respect for the beak fisherman(your words not mine) but more importent,,,,, I see you are carfully releasing sockeye that are the product of by-catch from flossing,bottom bouncing what ever you care to call it.....it aint selective angling(and no I don't care what a great expereinced angler you profess to be and how you know all the right seems where the springs travel. blha, blha, blha,)..........the bottom line is this..close the river to sockeye all together and restrict all fishing to stationary weights.NO SOCKEYEY.NO PROBLEMS.....NO FLOSSING NO MORE OF THE STUPID DEBATE  and all the more easeir for the D.F.O. to police the river for the people that actually break the law(native and non native)
Why the moderators would allow a comment such as yours, which is nothing more than race directed is beond me....
Give your head a shake and keep your personal views to things not regarding fishing to yourself.............

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2005, 07:01:46 PM »

What are you talking about freddy? Did you even read his post or just the part where the booze comes into play?
[

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2005, 07:15:18 PM »

Ya know, I am sick and tired of all the stuff about Natives this, Natives that...the problem isn't just systemic, and there are no silver bullets, and the problem is so deeply systemic, that it honestly can't be fixed. What it all comes down to, is social problems. Ya know what, people can crow all they want about this and that and try to impact on the problems. Fact is that there is ALL ways going to be this problem, because the WRONG leaders are in on it, which perpetuate the system, and the system favours the natives. The constitution and Indian Act provide for it, and so does the Fisheries and Oceans mandate as well. At this point in my opinion the situation borders on hopeless, and I can tell you that FOC and the ministers are GUTLESS, and why would they upset the apple cart? The only way that this is going to get fixed is if us sporties get out there and stand and blow our own horn to raise publicity of the issues, and wee interest groups with no media coverage, conservation groups, etc...are going to fix the problem either unless we as a group unite. I can remember the same BS going on 20 years ago.

What is going on here is that the natives have institutionalized rights, and that overpowers other concerns, like it or not, and YES I agree with the previous post, GREED is the problem, and what the Natives really want is conservation so that their GREED can continue, they can use the system to get what they want, after all, they push it past limits several times a year.  And the Natives want other user groups to forego their rights and priviledges because of their Native blood and then masquerade under food and ceremonial purposes, as currently, most all conservation $$$ is spent by the other user groups other than Natives.

That's just one perspective and one large group of opinion holders out there, but all in all, this is one very sad situation. Cheers to Allwaysfishin, and the other guys that have the wherewithal to call spades, spades, and not let "cuz the law says so" to justify the immoral, unconscionable, and abusive actions of other user groups such as the Natives. It's time the laws changed, and something be done, for the problem isn't just Natives, it's apathy by people unwilling to deal with the roots of the problem, just the symptoms--and it is perpetuated by a sects of Native groups which justify their improprieties via their race.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2005, 11:04:32 PM »

for the record, as i have stated in other posts.... I am a status card holding member of this countries aboriginal peoples. I have every right to make the comments I do regarding the behavior of "special" aboriginal groups such as some of our local FN fishers.
True, I should not generalize and label ALL cheam and sto'lo the way i have, bad seeds are in all user groups of this fishery and society in general.
It burns me especially hard though that the actions of those FN's from these bands regarding fraser fisheries and thier "right" to the fish is put ahead of the survival of the fish for future runs. Actions like these cause the average joe to develop negetive attitudes towards aboriginal peoples in general.
Say what you will and judge my comments how you may, I'm just one guy, no one special, but like fishin magician says, I will continue to call a spade a spade.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2005, 07:47:13 PM »

I was at one of the bars up by hope on Sunday and they drifted a net right in front of the 30 or so of us fishing.  One of them had a feather in his hat and he sorta thumbed his nose at us as he scooped up all the fish.  As if the the two set nets they had placed above and below us weren't enough.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 07:56:25 PM by Eagleye »

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2005, 08:28:24 PM »

Like most recreational fishermen, most First Nations individuals would like to see the resource that they rely on sustainable. The unfortunate part is, when three groups (recreational, commercial, First Nations) compete for the same waters to catch the same fish, the stocks deplete without being noticed.

The problem is not that simple. Shutting it down completely is not the answer. Who are we to tell the First Nations to stop fishing for the fish that they have depended on for thousands of years because of conservation concerns after most of the stocks were originally wiped out by us in the early part of last century?

Please don't suggest that they should harvest by using traditional methods in a canoe too, when there are hundreds of jet boats roaming around during the season. This is a case of traditional values clashing with industrialization.
                            yes well said rodney

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2005, 04:50:59 PM »

I was out in Burnaby waiting for my son. While parked, I saw a truck driving around with Sockeye and knocking on doors. Looks like a regular type of thing that happens annually around this neighbourhood as they seem to know the people selling the fish. Called the 1800 but I don't think anything was done about it....