Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tensions High On The River Already  (Read 12165 times)

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
Re: Tensions High On The River Already
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 06:56:11 PM »

Glad to hear it. As one of the letter writers, Im going to send a quick 'thank you' to the minister. Not only is it fair to aknowledge his efforts (in other words, it is easy to complain), it is also a good way to positively give the impression we are still following the issue closely and expect this positive direction to continue in the right direction.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

blueback

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 07:10:45 PM »

I agree with Terry. Enforcement is a good start, but there are several sections to 'law and order'. Catch 'em, charge 'em, convict 'em, sentence 'em. If any of the later listed legal processes are neglected, which the govs very well could do (and have done in the past) then stepped up enforcement is meaningless. This case is illustrated by the Cheam fishers that were charged under the fisheries act and didn't show back in court (as per the Vancouver Sun article on the Williams Inquiry). Were there warrants listed for their arrest? Did they get re-arrested and serve time? I haven't heard.
On the other hand, I love a 'minority government' worried about being defeated by independant MP's; causes the politicos to pay more attention to the folks who pay the bills (us) ;D.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 07:51:29 PM by blueback »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 12:04:04 AM »

This issue will be discussed on CJOR radio station 600 today, Tuesday June 21 starting I beieve at 8:30.

Randy Kamp, Conservative fisheries critic will be on the show.

sassyboy

• Mining for Chrome
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 03:17:53 AM »

Fished at grassy on Saturday and finally! a DFO patrol, with three officers. They checked every boat for licenses and also checked hooks. I was fishing with a native friend of mine and they asked him lots of questions, like whether he was food or recreational fishing. what band he belonged to etc.
looks like they may be serious this year.  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2005, 05:07:33 AM »

Fished at grassy on Saturday and finally! a DFO patrol, with three officers. They checked every boat for licenses and also checked hooks. I was fishing with a native friend of mine and they asked him lots of questions, like whether he was food or recreational fishing. what band he belonged to etc.
I heard the same thing as most other fishers were checked Saturday as well. I agree I hope they are serious and keep up their patrols all season.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2005, 07:44:04 AM »

:o lets hope they spend the 5 mill on enforcement and not waste it like all the other government bs we have heard before ::) ::) ::) ::)

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2005, 08:21:15 AM »

if what i heard was correct they will have up to 16 DFO on the fraser or the hot spots during the summer, the question is where are the DFO coming from ? They said they were not going to hire any new officers. If they are just going displace DFo from other regions thats just going to make that region a perfect place for poaching and over fishing .

Jimmy

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2005, 12:32:46 PM »

Dumb question but...... Do status card carrying Indians need anything other than their card to fish recreationally?

Glad to hear that DFO are out there. Hope they are not just doing a 7-330 shift.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 01:30:04 PM by Jimmy »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2005, 01:08:01 PM »

I believe the answer is Yes.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2005, 01:21:05 PM »

One of my best fishing partners is FN and he does not need any licenses but he abides by all fishing regulations and catch limits. He, like me cares for the fish and wishes to preseve them for all future generations.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 11:00:50 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2005, 11:04:56 PM »

Was told today 2 fellows netting during a closed time in the Agassiz Bridge area of the Fraser River had their boat and net seized.The fellows were cooling their heels in a local lockup as well.

Appears FOC is serious about enforcing the Fisheries act for all users this Sunmmer.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2005, 12:06:18 AM »

Was told today 2 fellows netting during a closed time in the Agassiz Bridge area of the Fraser River had their boat and net seized.The fellows were cooling their heels in a local lockup as well.

Appears FOC is serious about enforcing the Fisheries act for all users this Sunmmer.

Now THAT is good news.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2005, 06:28:51 PM »

More info on the boys who ended up in the slammer for illegal drift netting.

Two high profile fishers were fishing in the middle of the night in the Cheam area.

The boat, motor, and the net were seized. The fishers spent time in jail before posting a cash bond for release.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2005, 08:13:21 PM »

Two high profile fishers were fishing in the middle of the night in the Cheam area.

Might one of them be Ernie Crey, the "spokesman" for the Cheam Band ?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2005, 08:48:37 PM »

Might one of them be Ernie Crey, the "spokesman" for the Cheam Band ?
I do not think so as I do not think he fishes much but I could be wrong.

I know Ernie and is a very personable chap,the media like him for that fact.