Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tensions High On The River Already  (Read 12166 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Tensions High On The River Already
« on: June 09, 2005, 04:34:47 PM »

I was told this afternoon of an incident that happened last weekend on Grassy Bar here in Chilliwack.

Three fellows were planning to camp out on Grassy but the weather was bad so they decided not to and were packing up, getting ready to leave. They were then approached by a native fellow who said they were on native land and they were trespassing and no fishing was allowed. I was told he was dressed in camo gear with his face covered.

He said there was to be no was to be no fishing this year here and to tell other anglers as well.

Apparently he mentioned something about starting some ugly incidents if fishing did happen. The actual word he used was a war which seems a bit far fetched to me.

This is partly the result of the government and FOC not enforcing the law of the land on the river the last few years. The SDA and others have told FOC several times this could happen which it did if you remember a few times last year. Hopefully  cooler head will prevail this season but it looks grim if this incident is the start of an ugly Summer.

I am not posting this to start a FN bashing thread as this could be onl the action of a lone individual. I just thought in my own conscience that I should pass this information on as an awarness message and not a scare tactic. I would not like to see anyone hurt this fishing season.

I notified our SFAC chair also this afternoon and he has confirmed this incident by making a phone call. A letter has already been send in the last hour to Fisheries and Oceans Minister Geoff Regan and other FOC officials making them aware of the situation.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 05:24:08 PM by chris gadsden »

Bass Master

Re: Tensions High On The River Already
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 05:09:06 PM »

Good luck keeping the hundreds of fisherman who fish their yearly off the bar. :-X

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 05:17:41 PM »

Good luck keeping the hundreds of fisherman who fish their yearly off the bar. :-X
It could prove interesting thats for sure.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 08:43:54 PM »

Time for the government and DFO to grow a spine and call these thugs bluff.  :-X

roeman

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 09:42:57 PM »

I would bet this is the same guy that got a little excited last year at grassy and stated that the fish in the Fraser were his.  He ended up tipping his boat and a couple of people had to get in their boats and go out and pull him to shore before he drowned.  Even when one of his buddies picked him up from shore and left, he was still cursing and swearing at everyone on the bar...
You can bet he will be up to his tricks again this summer...  I can't believe he is still alive, thought for sure the river would take him by now........
Are you fishin or catchin

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 05:30:48 PM »

I would bet this is the same guy that got a little excited last year at grassy and stated that the fish in the Fraser were his.  He ended up tipping his boat and a couple of people had to get in their boats and go out and pull him to shore before he drowned.  Even when one of his buddies picked him up from shore and left, he was still cursing and swearing at everyone on the bar...
You can bet he will be up to his tricks again this summer...  I can't believe he is still alive, thought for sure the river would take him by now........
Today if was found out that you very correct. The RCMP have been notified of this incident on two fronts I was told today as well.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 08:34:21 PM »

But are they doing something about it ?

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 08:54:20 PM »

yes, I agree,   are they doing something about it?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 12:01:42 AM »

But are they doing something about it ?
Your guess is as good as mine, what was done is all that the private citizen could do. Unfortunatley there will be more incidents ahead that they will have to get involved in. :(

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 09:25:54 AM »

Chris, who own's Grassy?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 03:36:07 PM »

Chris, who own's Grassy?
Sorry I am not sure. I often thought ever thing from the high water mark down was public. As I am not sure of this maybe someone will know or dig it up.

I would but going fishing for a couple of days. ;D ;D

miketheflyguy

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 06:29:53 PM »

I guess that if we anchor in the water like last year we aren't exactly on the bar....

mike
<)))><

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2005, 10:52:26 PM »

As far as MWLAP is concerned (yes I went in and asked them personally) no one can own a river, being defined by the high water mark. That said, there are a few exceptions to the rule such as the Alouette in certain area's. I'm not sure what applies to native's though.
Actions speak louder than words.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 06:09:10 PM »

i just heard on CKNW radio FOC Minister Geoff Regan has announced $5 million to boost enforcement on the Fraser River this year.

He also says the federal government is reminding commercial and oboriginal fisherman to observe the law.

Regan also said the reforms will be taking effect immediately with up to 16 more fisheries officiers patrolling "hot spots" during the high season, as well as boosting helicopter surveillance of the river.

Finally FOC is getting the message to protect our precious fish stocks so what happened on the East Coast does not repeat itself here.

Good work by the SDA, their president Bill Otwayand other concerned groups for making a case for this to happen. Also to the fishers that supported the SDA last year in attending protest and writing letters of concern to the minister. It took some time but it looks like the effort may be paying off. ;D ;D

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 06:23:32 PM »

This is really good news but I am from Missouri...I have to be shown. I will reserve final judgement until I actually witness the "improved enforcement."
"One man of courage makes a majority"