Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: water vis  (Read 8286 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: water vis
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 04:36:32 PM »

I use a turbidity meter to measure the nephelometric turbidity units and then correlate that to visible distance, correcting for refraction of light at the air-water interface. :D

You neglected to take into consideration the slide factor coupled with flow of water

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 04:49:51 PM »

I just call Freds. What ever they tell me it's the law!  ;D ;D

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :o

I use a turbidity meter to measure the nephelometric turbidity units and then correlate that to visible distance, correcting for refraction of light at the air-water interface. :D
You neglected to take into consideration the slide factor coupled with flow of water

What about the temperature of the water as water is most dense at 4 degrees, this MUST affect the visibility and refraction of the light... no?
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 04:54:54 PM »

Negligible. I'm an engineer not a scientist. LOL

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »

30yrs fishing the Vedd. ;) Started when alot of you on this board werent even a twinkle in your Daddys eye. Things sure have changed over the yrs. Most of the great rods are no longer with us. :'(

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 08:55:33 PM »

Most of the great rods are no longer with us.
True, and they would if they could shudder at what this system has become.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 09:49:09 PM »

True, and they would if they could shudder at what this system has become.
Amen to that brother. No respect out there anymore. The river and its fish haven't changed, unfortunately the same cant be said for the people. All this talk about how long a guys leader is ridiculous. This nonsense simply did not exist back in the day.No Internet, only word of mouth was the way info was passed along. My father passed the sport down to me by the "hands on approach". Respect and ethics was ingrained into everyone. Ah,enough said...

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 11:24:54 PM »

Amen to that brother. No respect out there anymore. The river and its fish haven't changed, unfortunately the same cant be said for the people. All this talk about how long a guys leader is ridiculous. This nonsense simply did not exist back in the day.No Internet, only word of mouth was the way info was passed along. My father passed the sport down to me by the "hands on approach". Respect and ethics was ingrained into everyone. Ah,enough said...

Right but wrong at the same time. There is respect out there, the ched isn't the place to find it though (or not in the meat hole spots anyways) usually due to the numbers of anglers and limited space these days. The fish and river have changed, numbers are WAY different than in the 80's when the hatchery was built. The reason there is so much "nonsense" now is due to the numbers of anglers on the river. More anglers equals more chances of encountering "nonsense". In regards to angler numbers a day mid week during steelhead season now a days is the way salmon season used to be back in the day. Your statement of saying the river hasn't changed is just silly, rivers are continuously changing every second of every day

The internet is what it is, it's never going away so make it a tool to teach the right ways rather than hinder the sport.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 12:34:12 AM »

you guys are all pussies. I dunk my bloody head in and see how many guides of my fishing rod i can see. I then measure that distance :P  lol

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 12:36:20 AM »

you guys are all pussies. I dunk my bloody head in and see how many guides of my fishing rod i can see. I then measure that distance :P  lol

You must be a fly fisherman  ;D  :o

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 08:31:38 AM »

I always judge clarity based on how far down I can my see my brightest Chartreuse jig with polaroid glasses on, which is often much better clarity than others think.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

mvelasco

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 09:41:22 AM »

I always judge clarity based on how far down I can my see my brightest Chartreuse jig with polaroid glasses on, which is often much better clarity than others think.
I do this as well but with a worm.
in regards to the leader comments I was more confused rather than upset with leaders over 2ft.but hey whatever works right (legit hook ups that is  ;))

obie1fish

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 07:27:56 PM »

The best way to check clarity is to hold my rod by the tip and put it into the fastest flowing section of the river I'm fishing. When I can't see the shine from my reel, then that's the depth of clarity. Works best with really silty water! :o ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »

Fish can see better in the water then we think, Just need to put it where you think they may be and the fish will do the rest.
The Bigger The Better!

norton

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 09:19:06 PM »

It's like Chris said 70 years of experience

norton

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 09:35:32 PM »

There's a lot less access to the vedder now , compared to the 60s , when I started fishing it. You use to be able to drive down the both sides of the river. Now due to floods  that have washed out roads , and locked gates etc. access is more limited, putting more pressure on certain areas. Myself   I don't fish where there's a lot of fishermen anyway . There's still areas on the vedder where there's  not that many fishermen.