Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: water vis  (Read 8287 times)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
water vis
« on: March 05, 2013, 04:19:33 PM »

In another thread (which then got edited lol) I posted a vis report which a couple members then called BS. Now I wonder how you other members measure the vis? Do you consider the vis to be as much as you can see clearly into the water? Or as far as you can differentiate one rock from another (say a lighter colored rock from the darker ones)?

I myself use the one rock from the others.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: water vis
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »

I use my lure/fly of choice.
For example if I'm fishing bright pink then I need to be able to see it distinctly separate from the water sediment, then pull it up and estimate the length of line.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »

I use my lure/fly of choice.
For example if I'm fishing bright pink then I need to be able to see it distinctly separate from the water sediment, then pull it up and estimate the length of line.

So just like being able to see one colored rock from the others. I'm assuming you're not expecting to be seeing individual strands feathers on your fly lol.

roseph

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »

I look at my wading boot.  once I can just barely no longer see my laces it's that distance to the surface that I call the vis.

I don't really understand what you mean about telling one rock from another.  if you can see any rock then that depth is within the range of visibility in my opinion.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 05:26:25 PM »

In another thread (which then got edited lol) I posted a vis report which a couple members then called BS.

Hey Johnny, do you really care about those negative comment from those 2 members.
 ;)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 06:17:32 PM »

I look at my wading boot.  once I can just barely no longer see my laces it's that distance to the surface that I call the vis.

I don't really understand what you mean about telling one rock from another.  if you can see any rock then that depth is within the range of visibility in my opinion.

Well looking at your wading boot would be much like looking at a specific rock that is a different color than the rest. Being able to see your laces (if you mean each individual lace versus the color difference against your boot) would be what I mean by seeing clearly into the water much like seeing individual pebbles or grains of sand.

Hey Johnny, do you really care about those negative comment from those 2 members.
 ;)

Don't really care just wondering which technique people use to judge water vis. I'm looking forward to hearing of those who say when they can no longer see their bare hook is what they use to judge water vis.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 06:48:50 PM »

If you ask 5 people to show you 24" with there hands apart, you'd probably get 5 different answers. I myself use whatever lure/bait/fly I'm using as a guide. When I can't make it out anymore thats the vis I go with.

colin6101

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 06:53:11 PM »

I usually use my fly/bait, or if Im wading in the water I use my boots.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »

70 years of experience. ;D ;D ;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 08:02:47 PM »

just knowing the run i'm fishing and the contour of the rocks and their sizes during low water condition.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 08:55:08 PM »

I use the bottom.  If I can see it, then it is "visible," and then depth at which I can no longer see it is the "visibility" depth.  I gauge this depth by either standing in it, or by sticking my wading stick or rod tip in it.  If you want to get serious you can make a turbidity tube or a simple weighted secchi disc (high contrast black and white design) with a calibrated line.  When you can no longer distinguish the black and white design, to have reached the visibility depth (secchi depth).  Johnny's different coloured pebbles serves the same purpose.
Not all those who wander are lost

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 08:56:20 PM »

Amateurs. I use a Secchi disk.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 03:11:53 PM »

I just call Freds. What ever they tell me it's the law!  ;D ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 03:18:10 PM »

I use a turbidity meter to measure the nephelometric turbidity units and then correlate that to visible distance, correcting for refraction of light at the air-water interface. :D

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »

I use a turbidity meter to measure the nephelometric turbidity units and then correlate that to visible distance, correcting for refraction of light at the air-water interface. :D

Ya..... What he said.   :o