Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do they let out a warning signal on the Cap when they are about to open the dam?  (Read 8645 times)

fishyfish

Do they let out a warning signal on the Cap when they are about to open the dam?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

No such warning system

fishyfish

Do they post somewhere(online)? Do they let the water out always at night?

Drewhill

Never heard a warning and never seen them let out enough water to be dangerous. Not saying it might not happen, just haven't seen it.

Athezone

• Old Timer

Never heard a warning and never seen them let out enough water to be dangerous. Not saying it might not happen, just haven't seen it.

Let me tell you just so you know Drewhill. I have seen many situations at the Cap where the people operating the dam don't seem to care nor have a clue about when it's safe to open the dam or how much water to let out. Many times they do it safely and properly but I have heard many a nightmare story relating to their terrible judgement and in fact have been in a couple myself. One where myself and another fellow could of easily drowned.

I often wondered how many innocent men have perished because of the carelessness of the dam operator. In most instances it is not necessary to release water during the daylight hours, not if the person programming the computer has done his homework. If there is going to be a large amount of rainfall during the day and evening then just release a bit more the night before when no fishermen are on the river.

The Cleveland Dam is huge and spans 640 feet across the canyon and can store up to 17 billion gallons of water behind it, it is not going to burst any time soon just because we get a full day of rain in Vancouver. So why Ever open the dam during daylight hours  and possibly trap unsuspecting fishermen. After my incident I was going to get the records of water release times for the previous 2 decades through the use of the Freedom of Information Act and correlate that info with deaths on the river to see if it was relative. I was talked out of doing it by a close friend.

Still though, I do wonder about it. If anyone out there has any clue as to why they feel it necessary to let water out during the day please let me know, I'm very curious. Because if there is no need and even one sportsman has drowned because of it then that is truly a sad situation and still is today. And don't get on me about "Well you've got to be aware of your surroundings and the water level and whatnot."   I realize that but there are many newbies fishing the Cap every day, some for the first time. What about them.  ?

I guess this thread has really hit home for me because as I floated down the raging Capilano River I truly thought I was going to drown. If not for the rope tied around my waist and my brother pulling me to shore as well as the other fellow who was clamped on to my neck it was all over for us. One day perhaps I'll tell you my story and what happened but it's nearing midnite and I must get to bed.

All I know is no one should ever take for granted the water level in the cap as it can change quickly and leave you stuck in a terrible situation. I just don't understand why they would ever let water out when people are on the river, it doesn't make sense from a safety standpoint.
Nite All.

Zanna

Let me tell you just so you know Drewhill. I have seen many situations at the Cap where the people operating the dam don't seem to care nor have a clue about when it's safe to open the dam or how much water to let out. Many times they do it safely and properly but I have heard many a nightmare story relating to their terrible judgement and in fact have been in a couple myself. One where myself and another fellow could of easily drowned.

I often wondered how many innocent men have perished because of the carelessness of the dam operator. In most instances it is not necessary to release water during the daylight hours, not if the person programming the computer has done his homework. If there is going to be a large amount of rainfall during the day and evening then just release a bit more the night before when no fishermen are on the river.

The Cleveland Dam is huge and spans 640 feet across the canyon and can store up to 17 billion gallons of water behind it, it is not going to burst any time soon just because we get a full day of rain in Vancouver. So why Ever open the dam during daylight hours  and possibly trap unsuspecting fishermen. After my incident I was going to get the records of water release times for the previous 2 decades through the use of the Freedom of Information Act and correlate that info with deaths on the river to see if it was relative. I was talked out of doing it by a close friend.

Still though, I do wonder about it. If anyone out there has any clue as to why they feel it necessary to let water out during the day please let me know, I'm very curious. Because if there is no need and even one sportsman has drowned because of it then that is truly a sad situation and still is today. And don't get on me about "Well you've got to be aware of your surroundings and the water level and whatnot."   I realize that but there are many newbies fishing the Cap every day, some for the first time. What about them.  ?

I guess this thread has really hit home for me because as I floated down the raging Capilano River I truly thought I was going to drown. If not for the rope tied around my waist and my brother pulling me to shore as well as the other fellow who was clamped on to my neck it was all over for us. One day perhaps I'll tell you my story and what happened but it's nearing midnite and I must get to bed.

All I know is no one should ever take for granted the water level in the cap as it can change quickly and leave you stuck in a terrible situation. I just don't understand why they would ever let water out when people are on the river, it doesn't make sense from a safety standpoint.
Nite All.

I think you are making an interesting point here. With the exception of some large flooding situation it should be possible to plan the dam to open only during the night. Having said that I'm no expert so if anyone has more knowledge in the topic please share your thought.

nickredway

• Old Timer

What melodramatic rubbish. Take responsibility for yourselves and use your common sense. There are signs stating the river can rise and fall at short notice so take heed, especially if we get a few days of rain. Be aware of your surrounding and don't fish in a stupid place where you could easily get cut off. For example every year you see idiots at Keith Road who continue to fish when the river is obviously quickly on the rise after a few days of rain. If it's is a tough crossing to get over there then think about the journey back. These are the people you will see crossing back over on a dangerous log or by a rope risking their lives for a fish. A good early warning system is to put a rock on top of a barely submerged rock and and keep an eye on it, if it becomes submerged get out of there if you are on an island!! It's always tempting to make a few more casts and we've all been there but that risk is on you not the guy operating the dam.

Drewhill

Nite All.

You're lucky, most people wouldn't have a rope. Totally agree with letting the water out at night.

mko72

I've heard these stories about the damn. I'm still a rookie for sure and I've been fishing in the canyon quietly casting and retrieving and then noticed "Hmm, the water is really close to my feet"  So I back up, a few minutes later "That water is near my feet again.... this must be the river rising! Wow."  It's both amazing and a bit disconcerting how it can creep up.

I've heard so much about the river rising and people getting caught I keep picturing some crazy guy AT the damn who's like The Joker, pulling some oversized novelty lever and laughing maniacally as a WALL of water shoots down the canyon.  

So, how fast are we talking?   I understand that the wider the river is the less it will rise.  So, let's say I'm standing on a rock that's a foot above the water and they let out a bunch of water. Have I got minutes, or just seconds?  Will I hear it coming?  Surely, it's not like the movies! Right?!   ;)

It's probably impossible to give a precise answer but any advice is welcome advice.

Drewhill

You're lucky, most people wouldn't have a rope. Totally agree with letting the water out at night.

Actually shouldn't say you're lucky, more like well prepared!

Drewhill

I've heard these stories about the damn. I'm still a rookie for sure and I've been fishing in the canyon quietly casting and retrieving and then noticed "Hmm, the water is really close to my feet"  So I back up, a few minutes later "That water is near my feet again.... this must be the river rising! Wow."  It's both amazing and a bit disconcerting how it can creep up.

I've heard so much about the river rising and people getting caught I keep picturing some crazy guy AT the damn who's like The Joker, pulling some oversized novelty lever and laughing maniacally as a WALL of water shoots down the canyon.  

So, how fast are we talking?   I understand that the wider the river is the less it will rise.  So, let's say I'm standing on a rock that's a foot above the water and they let out a bunch of water. Have I got minutes, or just seconds?  Will I hear it coming?  Surely, it's not like the movies! Right?!   ;)

It's probably impossible to give a precise answer but any advice is welcome advice.

I hope it doesn't take seconds otherwise there should be a warning system as they should know there's going to be fishermen and other people enjoying the river.

liketofish

• Old Timer

All newbies should be careful when fishing the Cap on rainly days, or when the river is flooding. Don't fish off those sloping rocks on Cable Pool or stand too close to raging flood water. Stay back at least one body length or one rod length from river edge, so that if you fall, you don't get sucked out by the raging current. If your rod is 10 ft 6 inches, you don't need to stay too close to the river to catch fish. I agree with the advice to constantly check the water level where you are standing. Rain at the head water of the Cap or a jerk controlling the dam can make the river rise rapidly. Sometimes, the strong focus to catch a fish can get you off-guard. No fish is worth risking your life. I had once talked to a guy who witnessed a fisherman slipped off the rock from Cable Pool during a flood. He said the horror on the face of the fishermen would stay with him for life. The Cap looks so innocent during the dry season. Too many fishermen take it for granted.

Athezone

• Old Timer

I hope it doesn't take seconds otherwise there should be a warning system as they should know there's going to be fishermen and other people enjoying the river.

No it doesn't happen in seconds but it can happen in a couple hours. There used to be a siren type warning system in place but they opted to discontinue it. I'm just out the door, will reply later. Have a Great day Everyone !!!

norm_2

I was just walking back to my car on a sunny day when the water was not that high and I saw the rescue people take a body out of Cable Pool. It was a couple years ago.  It is something I try not to remember.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer

I've seen the water go from 2-3 right to fully overblown in 1 hour.