Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing and your ego  (Read 7980 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing and your ego
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 07:44:37 PM »

i enjoy watching people catch fish almost as much as catching fish myself. i like having quality gear. it looks good and last longer and can perform better.its not for my ego. i would say when i hook fish and can't land them cause the break off or pop off...that hurts my ego a little. ; :D i also love to hear of others success's. i don't really take it as them showing off.some people's stories how ever are more realistic then others i think.
nice post .
cheers

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 08:22:28 PM »

for the most part, i enjoy just getting onto the river, i mean i have to ride my bike 1.5 hours to do any kind of fishing anyway, i always like to fish alone, or worth really good friends or family that i have been fishing with all my life, I will admit when I'm with my friends i will boast around like I'm the king sh*t and know everything there is to know, but they know its all in good fun and in reality we are the same way.

when approached by other anglers or pedestrians, asking how the fishing is or how I'm doing, I'll be honest and tell them how I'm doing, I'm not going to spread falsity and lies to make it look like I'm a superior fisherman, I'm just out on the river or lake to have fun, not boost my ego, because in reality, I probably won't see that person again. and I'm not a great fisherman, i just do it for relaxation and alone time so i have no need to lie or boost my ego about fishing.

I don't really post fishing reports on line, and if I'm talking to some one in person i will usually tell them what i know and not what they necessarily want to hear. since i can't give info on something i haven't seen or experienced, i can only offer people my experience and best guess as to what might be happening.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 08:47:56 PM »

i dont post much reports anymore and if i do its usually on conditions / how many fish I think are in the system.
not in it for glory or to brag. I will brag/show off with buddies but its give and take and part of the social aspect of it.

more so look forward to getting out for a day of fishing with my buddies who are new to it and im trying to get them hook on it, so i rather see them catch fish and i will help in anyway that i can.

I like top of the line rods and reels just cause its a passion of mine and i want to fish with the best however it never made any difference to how many fish i caught

Fillibert

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »

Methinks thou dost protest too much

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 11:22:31 AM »

Good post Clarki !!!

Sigmund Freud (1856-1939) was known as the Father of Psychoanalysis and his psychoanalytic theory of personality, ego strength is the ability of the ego to effectively deal with the demands of the id, the superego and reality.

Freud developed the model of the psyche composed of the Id, Ego, and Superego. The Id works on the pleasure principle - it seeks to avoid pain and increase pleasure at any cost. It drives us to search for food when hungry, rest when tired, and other basic impulses that ensure our survival. The Superego acts as the moral police, and demands that we act in a moral and socially appropriate manner, no matter the circumstance. It works in direct contradiction to the Id. The Ego works as the executive of the psyche, striving to find a balance between the Id's hedonism and the Superego's moralism.

His theories were controversial and still are even today but whether you agree or not one has to admit they are interesting.

I, myself am a very social person and so my fishing trips are mostly with friends or relatives. But that special connection to nature always exists for me and many times a year I find myself a quiet place of solitude by a river to read, listen to mother earth and to ground myself, once again.

I must be honest and say my ego shines when I get lucky and outfish my friends but I don't feel a need to post hero pic's on the net
to prove anything. I know who I am and what I'm capable of and anyone that knows me is comfortable and happy for sharing their time with me.

I enjoy posting reports on FWR, the only site I ever post on except for the Denver Bronco board. I must say I don't post about many, many of my fishing trips because I get lazy, too many days pass by from the actual trip or I'm just not in a creative mood. When I sit down in front of my computer a whole new world opens up and I can be in Ireland or the Ukraine or on the coast of Oregon speaking and chatting with friends in seconds. I get lost.

My fishing gear is very good and certainly does the job but I always think back many years ago when another fisherman asked me what makes someone a great fisherman. I thought about it for a minute before I answered and then I said, its not just one thing that makes a good fisherman but a combination of many small things. The right hook, the correct knots, the line, bait, location, timing  and luck and most importantly, attitude.

Whatever you do and wherever you go always make the people you meet feel better for having been with you and be happy and accepting of all people. Your ego may not be as big as other peoples but in the words of the great Sebastion Horsley :

“We can't all be stars because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as I go by.”

Good Fishing All !!!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2012, 12:37:08 PM »

Admit it. How much does fishing feed your ego?

It's not about the ego. It is about feeding the basic hunter-gatherer instinct and filling up the freezer.

When fighting a fish, how often do you steal a quick glance to see who is watching you play it?

Only to ensure some idiot is not casting his rig when I am coming down with a big brute. Nothing can spoil my day faster than some dork crossing my line.

How often is the real motive behind your fishing reports to affirm your status as a skilled angler? Have you ever posted the same fishing report across multiple websites?

I don't need no stinking reports to affirm anything. I can hook a fish every time I am out. If fish is running, I'll catch it. [/quote]

When you go into a tackle shop, do you make an effort to ensure the salesperson knows that you aren't a rookie and that you know a thing or two about the sport.

The moment I confidently ask for 1, 2, 3 and 4-ounce heavily rubber coated bouncing betties, 3/0 and 4/0 red gammies, green yarn and short and stubby beaded leader protectors, the tackle shop staff knows they are dealing with a pro.

Is any of your fishing attire, or equipment, for show or status?

I only wade in designer jeans and brand name sneakers, what did you think?

Why do you really post pictures or YouTube videos?

I don't, but my adoring fans sometimes secretly record my prowess.

How often do you hesitate asking a question online because it might contradict the status that you are trying to project?

I have no qualms about asking what's running at any given time.

What do you want your online handle to convey about you?

It's my name. I am proud of who I am. No need to hide behind a handle.

Is there any coho in the Vedder yet? Cant' wait to hit the Tamihi...the Fraser's been sloooow.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:40:27 PM by milo »

hookR

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 03:39:54 PM »

I only wade in designer jeans and brand name sneakers, what did you think?

Which brand do you wade in? LOL..
this one made me laugh.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »

The moment I confidently ask for 1, 2, 3 and 4-ounce heavily rubber coated bouncing betties, 3/0 and 4/0 red gammies, green yarn and short and stubby beaded leader protectors, the tackle shop staff knows they are dealing with a pro.

Thats the one I like, made me howl !!! They know they are dealing with a Pro , tee heee.

azafai

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »

shops don't care.  they want more people fishing.  that is all.

RonniePache

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »

I will say fishing feeds my ego a bit, but not because I can show off, more because I feel good that I was able to get a fish to bite.  I never steal a glance to see who's watching, as a rookie, I am again simply overjoyed that I have a fish on.  My motive behind fishing reports is to return the favor of the many reports I seek out, and put to use.  When I go to the tackle shop I feel like a rookie, and ask a ton of questions because I am learnig, and it always pays off.  I used to get nervous because I would sound like an idiot, but the guys at the shops are there to help and I have never been laughed at or mocked, so it's all good.  I have spent too much money on fishing gear, so I look the part, but I've done that for golf, and other things too....I have a full blown wood working shop in my garage and I build 1-2 projects a year.  I think I just like to collect stuff.  I don't post on you tube, and I am not afraid to ask questions, because I have no shame in the fact that I am new to this sport, and eager to learn.  My handle has been my nickname since grade 9, so it's been with me for over 20 years, and is the same handle I use on any website, email etc....
good post, very interesting topic btw... 

RonniePache

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2012, 05:49:59 PM »

oh yeah, Go Bronco's....Manning looks goood, (sorry to get off point)

Fillibert

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »

I posted a quick canucks reference on an industrial design website comment section last year and the whole comment was removed by the admins including the real comment. So good for u guys for allowing free speech...  ;D

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 07:58:28 PM »

I do it subconsciously, I didn't really think about it until you said it. I am guilty of quite a few of these things even if I'm not trying too. There is defiantly some show boating in fishing and we all do it. I noticed I am getting better but I know I still love it when a fellow angler goes "wow". Then again I know when I say "nice fish" to someone I can tell their eyes light up as well. It's not a part of the sport we talk about very often but I think it most defiantly is a big part of the sport. Even if we don't realize it. I think it also adds to the sport as well as long as the person is not eccentric about it.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

rootbeer

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2012, 02:53:02 PM »

I will say fishing feeds my ego a bit, but not because I can show off, more because I feel good that I was able to get a fish to bite.  I never steal a glance to see who's watching, as a rookie, I am again simply overjoyed that I have a fish on.  My motive behind fishing reports is to return the favor of the many reports I seek out, and put to use.  When I go to the tackle shop I feel like a rookie, and ask a ton of questions because I am learnig, and it always pays off.  I used to get nervous because I would sound like an idiot, but the guys at the shops are there to help and I have never been laughed at or mocked, so it's all good.  I have spent too much money on fishing gear, so I look the part, but I've done that for golf, and other things too....I have a full blown wood working shop in my garage and I build 1-2 projects a year.  I think I just like to collect stuff.  I don't post on you tube, and I am not afraid to ask questions, because I have no shame in the fact that I am new to this sport, and eager to learn.

This.  In fact you could be my long lost twin.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 08:12:21 PM »

Go to the Stave River. Spot all those little kids (under 12 years old) catching and reeling in big salmon by themselves. You don't catch anything, well, that's damaging to your ego.