Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Levelwind Advice  (Read 13352 times)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Levelwind Advice
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »

Maybe Stratocaster can add some info when he's back from vacation... ;)

maybe I can add some info while on vacation!

The te has more bearings than the B reels making them smoother. Not sure if its worth the extra cost though.  Also the te has metal level wind line guides as opposed to plastic.

Unless you are on a very tight budget,  go for a Calcutta 200b over an Abu.  The Calcutta will remain smooth much longer than an Abu c series reel.  Also go for the 200 over the 400 if you are using it on the Vedder.  A Sage 2106B is perfect with the 200 B
If you can't afford a Sage, try a lighter Lami certified pro series.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 01:25:41 PM »

maybe I can add some info while on vacation!

The te has more bearings than the B reels making them smoother. Not sure if its worth the extra cost though.  Also the te has metal level wind line guides as opposed to plastic.

Unless you are on a very tight budget,  go for a Calcutta 200b over an Abu.  The Calcutta will remain smooth much longer than an Abu c series reel.  Also go for the 200 over the 400 if you are using it on the Vedder.  A Sage 2106B is perfect with the 200 B
If you can't afford a Sage, try a lighter Lami certified pro series.

Just bought a Sage ;D.Thanks for the info.Going to be a Gold Cacutta 200 TE or 250 TE or the ABU low profile Revo.Tough choice to make? ???

Nitroholic

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 01:53:06 PM »

how about a conquest 200 off ebay

Ken D

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 11:52:37 AM »

Hio, Dennis.....I'd fish a 2500C IAR with braid. In chrome.   But if you go the smaller Shimano, you'll be just fine as well.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 07:51:44 PM »

Ended up buying the abu revo! Silky smooth! Paid 289.00 at Cabellas in Edmonton.Both smaller size Gold Calcuttas,i noticed the line guide doesnt move back and forth when casting.Didnt like that.The feel ,color and smoothness of the revo,sold me!Thanks for the info guys! ;D

Brook Trout

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 09:09:24 PM »

I recently have bought a Abu Black Max i have been using it on a certain interior river which i wont name.. but i have landed a 10lb rainbow and many bulls/rainbows in the 3-5lb range it works great and is very affordable

mzmann

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 09:38:42 PM »

I recently have bought a Abu Black Max i have been using it on a certain interior river which i wont name.. but i have landed a 10lb rainbow and many bulls/rainbows in the 3-5lb range it works great and is very affordable

Very few rivers period that will entertain those numbers you speak of and especially "interior rivers" (unless you are talking more northern interior, lol).......other than that only one really comes to mind and its a large and stable enough system (imo) that I dont think its a problem naming it. However for the sake of maybe offending someone I as well will leave the river with "a part of home" in it "unnamed" as well  ;)
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 09:48:32 PM »

Ended up buying the abu revo! Silky smooth! Paid 289.00 at Cabellas in Edmonton.Both smaller size Gold Calcuttas,i noticed the line guide doesnt move back and forth when casting.Didnt like that.The feel ,color and smoothness of the revo,sold me!Thanks for the info guys! ;D

Congrats on your purchase.  I'm sure you'll enjoy that reel for many years to come.  Btw - I felt the same when I first tried out my Calcutta 200B, but now I really like the fact that the line guide only moves during the retrieve.  First off, there's less overall friction/resistance and increased smoothness when casting.  Second - there's less wear on the worm gear and pawl.  But go with what you like and what gives you confidence.  ;)

lapa

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 10:15:45 PM »

Congrats on your purchase.  I'm sure you'll enjoy that reel for many years to come.  Btw - I felt the same when I first tried out my Calcutta 200B, but now I really like the fact that the line guide only moves during the retrieve.  First off, there's less overall friction/resistance and increased smoothness when casting.  Second - there's less wear on the worm gear and pawl.  But go with what you like and what gives you confidence.  ;)
X2. I have Calcutta 250 for 5 years. Still perform like new, with all original parts.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 04:00:58 AM »

Yah,my buddy bought the te and was unhappy with the guide not moving back and forth during casting.It does on my 400b.Thats what ultimately swayed my decision.My first choice would have been to stick with the calcutta.After hearing your comments.I might have to try it out for myself.The 200te was  349.00 at the Edmonton Cabellas.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 01:07:11 PM »

cant believe no one mentioned the luna

Animal Chin

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »

cant believe no one mentioned the luna

Yeah, actually i've been thinking about a new baitcaster along lines of the OP. I was thinking same thing with the level wind moving on cast, glad I read this thread. I'm looking for it to be able to cast out spoons and light presentations well. So far it's the CalcuttaB, or Revo, but Luna 253 as well.

I have a Abu Black Max now, works fine, but I just want something smoother.

The lady at Mike''s Reel Repair said Calcutta is excellent reel but from their perspective Daiwa parts are more readily available.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 02:35:34 PM »

Actually, Calcutta parts are easy to get.  Just a quick e-mail to Shimano and I had my parts in a week.  Price of the parts are almost always cheaper than that of Mike's.  I was able to fix the Anti-Reverse Ratchet and ARB bearing on my 14 year old Calcutta 250. 

Animal Chin

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 03:46:55 PM »

Actually, Calcutta parts are easy to get.  Just a quick e-mail to Shimano and I had my parts in a week.  Price of the parts are almost always cheaper than that of Mike's.  I was able to fix the Anti-Reverse Ratchet and ARB bearing on my 14 year old Calcutta 250. 

So your vote is for the Shimano? I've been following yours and magician's posts. Sounds good. Especially rods, but I'll start a new thread so as not to hijack this one more than i already have. Thanks.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 03:52:37 PM »

The downside of Shimano is that they moved their repair center to Ontario. >:( Recently bought a Daiwa Luna. That reel is super smooth.