Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Levelwind Advice  (Read 13351 times)

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
Levelwind Advice
« on: November 24, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »

In the market for a new levelwind for fishing steelhead. Any suggestions?

1son

Re: Levelwind Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 07:24:47 PM »

Abu Garcia c4 this will be my second season using it for steels works great for me ;D

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 07:48:11 PM »

if it's just for steelhead I would choose one of the low profile models

light weight and easy to cast all day

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 07:51:23 PM »

If your looking for a reel just for steelheading that's affordable, an Abu Garcia Black or Silver Max is great. If you just want an all around reel that if affordable and durable, I would go with an Abu Garcia C4 series reel.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »

if it's just for steelhead I would choose one of the low profile models

light weight and easy to cast all day

Could you recommend a brand? Have had a look at the Shimano Curado.Doesnt look like you can fit much line on the spool.I fish 12pd test mainline.Fished the ambassadors alot over the yrs and highly recommend them.Looking to upgrade to something such as a Gold Calcutta or one of the new low profile Shimanos.Any advice on these reels much appreciated.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 08:37:27 PM »

Dennis.t, check this Abu. I've been using one for three years and not a single problem. Excellent drag. Luv this reel and its landed everything. http://www.abugarcia.com/products/reels/low-profile-baitcast-reels/revo/revo-toro
Wow! Nice product! Larger spool,black in color. Is there any advantage to the low profile reels?

mzmann

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 08:45:42 PM »

Wow! Nice product! Larger spool,black in color. Is there any advantage to the low profile reels?

X2 on the revo toro reels. To answer your other question.....better look, sleeker, more comfortable to use (for most) and most importantly for long cold steelie days....lighter!
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

Nitroholic

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 10:10:25 PM »

curado 200e7 or 201e7 can be had for ~$130 online, holds plenty of line

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 04:38:54 AM »

curado 200e7 or 201e7 can be had for ~$130 online, holds plenty of line
Thanks for all  the replies.Would like to see and hold the reel before I buy.Bought a reel on line a couple of yrs ago and was disapointed.The Gold Calcuttas come in different model #s,what would be the best one too buy? Leaning toward the Abu Revo for now.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 07:09:52 AM »

Dennis... I have heard good things about the Revo but personally I am a Shimano guy, I have a Curado and a Calais I also fish both of them with braid and line capacity is not a issue.
Like the Curado ...Love the Calais  ;D

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 08:09:38 AM »

Personally, I really like my Shimano Calcutta 200B.  I use this for coho and steelhead and it casts small presentations very smoothly.  I spool this with 12 lb. Maxima Ultragreen, and line capacity is not an issue on small to medium sized rivers like the Vedder/Chilliwack.  I also have an Abu Garcia C3 5500 as a backup, but have only used it a few times.  It's a fine reel, but the Calcutta is much nicer to use.

One piece of advice I'll offer is if you are going to be fishing small to medium size rivers like the Vedder, go with a smaller reel like a 200.  Don't go with a Calcutta 400B.  It is a very nice reel with tons of line capacity.  But for steelhead on a river like the Vedder, you don't need a 400 size reel.  A 200 size reel will handle smaller weights and lighter line much easier, plus it will be lighter in your hand which could mean avoiding the physiotherapist after a hard day's fishing.

I haven't used a low profile reel before, so I cannot comment on them.  Good luck and have fun!!! :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:11:27 AM by FlyFishin Magician »

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 10:31:21 AM »

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shopsreg;-Pro-Qualifierreg;-Baitcast-Reels/product/102287/72586?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

My dad bought this one at the beginning of the summer. Been fishing with it ever since (except for Chinook). Loves it. He replaced his Abu Morrum with it. For only $90 and a average rating of 4.8/5 over 476 reviews, how can you go wrong. Anyways, happy searching!
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 07:57:31 AM »

[url][/http://www.berrysbait.com/products/casting-209/quantum-14/cabo-pts-30-series-13595.aspx[url] Bought this puppy in the summer nice light weight, got it spooled with 300 yds of 30# braid and I can use it in salt water too if I have to.
Take the T out of Morton.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »

Personally, I really like my Shimano Calcutta 200B.  I use this for coho and steelhead and it casts small presentations very smoothly.  I spool this with 12 lb. Maxima Ultragreen, and line capacity is not an issue on small to medium sized rivers like the Vedder/Chilliwack.  I also have an Abu Garcia C3 5500 as a backup, but have only used it a few times.  It's a fine reel, but the Calcutta is much nicer to use.

One piece of advice I'll offer is if you are going to be fishing small to medium size rivers like the Vedder, go with a smaller reel like a 200.  Don't go with a Calcutta 400B.  It is a very nice reel with tons of line capacity.  But for steelhead on a river like the Vedder, you don't need a 400 size reel.  A 200 size reel will handle smaller weights and lighter line much easier, plus it will be lighter in your hand which could mean avoiding the physiotherapist after a hard day's fishing.

I haven't used a low profile reel before, so I cannot comment on them.  Good luck and have fun!!! :)
Yes, i have the Gold Calcutta 400B. Yeh for sure i would get a smaller size.Whats the difference between the B and the TE models?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 09:25:26 AM »

Sorry, I haven't tried a TE myself.  However, my friend Stratocaster has one and has been alternating between the TE and Calcutta 200B for coho.  I know it's a very smooth reel, but it's also a bit more pricey.  Stratocaster also has an older Calcutta 250 that he repaired and has being using as well.  He mentioned that he found the 200B and 250 to be very similar, but perfers the handles on the 200B.

Maybe Stratocaster can add some info when he's back from vacation... ;)