Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions on Pink Run and General Beginner Ignorance  (Read 9106 times)

jacked55

Re: Questions on Pink Run and General Beginner Ignorance
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »

hey Danjohn i am in the same boat as you. this is my first year salmon fishing and also live in Surrey. Perhaps we will run into each other come pink season. i have been fishing along but only in langley so far. good luck fellow new fish bro.

adecadelost

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 09:36:38 AM »

Well I took what I learned and went to walmart!

I got suffix because Ive read price-performance is great. And that its not bad by any means. We will see, if I do not like it, I can alway grab a spool of Maxima.

Grabbed some wool. Need to look up how to attach :P

And 2 Lures. One being the Gibbs Spoon. Was the only thing they had in a pink spoon outside of a 18 dollar pack for Pinks (Had 2 spoons, a spinner, and a weird long pink minnow looking thing.) Was wondering if this spinner was a decent size. Could not decide on the 2 or the 3, cause Im just not sure what those worked out to. So I got the 3, and if I need the 2 I can take her back and exchange it!

And I am pretty sure next week I will be heading in and getting my Tidal license (And of course, probably blow more cash on tackle!) You guys made lots of sense, and although not as pretty as heading east, at least then I can do both!

Thanks for all your postings!

/edit

Oh hey! The Mepps site has a really nice feature of showing you the species you are hunting, and the corresponding lure size to use. Pinks being 2, 3, and 4. So because I am on a smaller rod/reel maybe I should go for the Size 2 spinner?

Looks like you are on the right track DanJohn,
And yes you will be blowing more money on tackle, welcome to the club.  You'll likely want to pick up a couple more lures incase/when you loose those.  There seems to be a direct correlation between the cost of a lure and how fast you end up losing it.
You may also want to look in to making your own spinners and spoons.  while it's a bit more cost up front to buy supplies in bulk you will save yourself a ton of money in the long-run.  A pack of split rings, some swivels, siwash hooks and spinners and spoons and you're all set.  It's also so much more satisfying when you catch a fish on gear you made yourself.  Whether it's an intricate spey fly or a hammered spoon knowing you made it to fit your fishing style can really make a good day even better.

If you don't want to get into making your own just yet, be sure to check out your local tackle shop.  Places like Berry's sell their own made spoons and spinners which can be had for a fraction of the big name manufactures.  It's always best to pop in to your local shop and see what they have.  You'll be surprised some of the deals you can find at times, plus rather then supporting a big company like Wallmart you are generally supporting your local fishing community.  Plus you get something at the local tackle shops you won't get at the big box stores.  Knowledgeable staff and advice (usually).  Before this interweb thingy that was were we went to get the local report and to this day most are good at giving advice and some will even help you out with some spots to go and fish.  Stop in, say hi, and support your local shop; it will pay off in the long-run.

As for the wool it is a great way to catch salmon of all species and is usually drifted under a float.  As for attaching it you should learn how to tie an egg loop.  Makes attaching wool or roe very simple and is a must know for any angler. Here's a great step by step on how to tie them.
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/resourcecenter/bumperknot.htm
Tie up a bunch before you head out and store them in a pipsbox or similar leader keeper.

Using a spinning rod you will see how drift fishing is not as easy.  It can be done with good success but not to the same degree as with a bait caster or center pin set-up.  The bait caster or center pin allows the line to free spool which allows the float rig to drift relatively straight down the middle of the run.  When you use a spinning rod you generally have no control of the line until you engage the reel again; this stops the float rig from traveling straight down stream and it starts to swing back towards shore.  Don't get me wrong this swing can often be very effective, but you are limited in the amount of water you can cover in a drift with a spinning rod.
But for pinks you don't need to drift for them.  Get some more spoons and get out there.
And start padding up your wallet, cause if you've gotten bit by the fishing bug you're going to need it.

Butch1949

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »

Thanks Sandman, I have my freshwater lic. and tag and this weekend wish to purchase my saltwater and I will get a tag to accompany, much appreciated for the advice :)
"I don't catch fish"

hamster

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 11:30:54 PM »

I've fished the Vedder for pinks in years past but was looking for a new adventure.  Since I have a non-tidal license, I was thinking about fishing just upstream from the Mission CPR bridge (DFO designated tidal boundary for Fraser River). 

Has anyone had success using pink jigs near the Mission CPR bridge?  If so, what size and is it legal to tip your hook with bait i.e. prawn?

PS  I'm driving from Bellingham.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »

I've fished the Vedder for pinks in years past but was looking for a new adventure.  Since I have a non-tidal license, I was thinking about fishing just upstream from the Mission CPR bridge (DFO designated tidal boundary for Fraser River). 

Has anyone had success using pink jigs near the Mission CPR bridge?  If so, what size and is it legal to tip your hook with bait i.e. prawn?

PS  I'm driving from Bellingham.

Regarding the use of bait around Mission CPR Bridge on the Fraser River, there is usually a bait ban that comes in effect after the September long weekend until early October. This period is designated as the run time of Interior coho salmon and steelhead, which are endangered. It's a conservation management measure that they've put in place in the hope that anglers can selectively target pink salmon without intercepting too many of these fish. We usually put the bait ban notice up on the website once it is issued.

hamster

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 11:51:48 PM »

Thanks, Rodney.  that's the reason I love this website.  Getting answers by talking with others.  :)

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 06:38:37 PM »

adecadelost

First a big thank you to adecadelost for one hell of a post! Although I wont reply directly to it, right now at least, be assured I am reading it and rereading it to make sure I absorb everything. Same with this whole thread. But that was just a great little novel to read.

I have gotten my Tidal license (with a stamp, in case dinner happens upon my hook) and just need to gear up for a morning I suppose. From everything I hear its not prime time yet, but thats no reason I cant get out there and try my luck. Will be hitting the fraser for the coming weeks, and will probably do a day out in Chilliwack sometime as well. Thanks to all who have posted.

Oh and I am looking forward to trying out making my own spoons and lures. I went shopping around at a few different places today, but all pretty much told me to head to Berrys. Which was the original plan for the day, but by the time I was able to leave it was already 3:30, and to drive out there would have left me less than an hour to play around in there. So next weekend hopefully.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 10:52:47 PM »

Well got out there today for some fooling around. Fully expected to not get a single bite, and thats what happened! Was fun though. Practiced casting, trying some different junk. Tried to play the current a bit to get my lure to get out as far as possible without swinging back to shore. Just played really. Ended up getting a bite from a weed or log. Lost my lure. fought it for 20 odd minutes. Wanted to just go in and get it. Didnt want to leave a widow standing on the shore though :P

But hit up a few different bars around brownsville and down through delta. Was early AM though so low tide (FREE TACKLE!) and the current was stroooooooooong. But after reading Rodneys article he posted on the first page, realized that I did everything right and now I just need to go 1 at the right time of day (Had to hit up the morning, was busy all afternoon) and 2, you know, when the run actually starts! But I thank you all for the solid information posted in this thread.

As well, after a bit of research and watching the 4 part series on bar fishing from Fishing With Rod, I managed to macgyver a Drift Rig for my spinning set up. I have no idea if it will work, as the weight on it is by no means heavy. But the basic Idea is.

Mainline to your Wire with spinners north and south, and one on the side. 8lb mainline to north spinner. 8lb 24inches off the side, with a bead or 2, a spin n glow, a couple beads and a 1 hook.  4lb off the south end spinner with a couple ounces of weight. Lighter test here so if anything breaks, its gonna be the weights. Im not even sure if I would be able to cast that off my rod, but I rigged it up tonight for funsies.

Also, what is the etiquette on found tackle? As I said, was at a few different bars at low tide, so got to go right down over the rocks and onto a nice sandy beach and such, but in the rocks was all sorts of lines, weights, bouncing betty's (I think) and a couple lures. Obviously I could post  an ad on craigslist or here, but I was wondering peoples opinions on the issue.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 11:09:03 PM »

Consider that tackle yours.  You will lose your fair share and it will be "paid forward".

Some people mark their relatively expensive floats and such, but I wouldn't worry about lures.

When you are out there, do take any excess line to the local trash can.  Every little bit helps.

Good to hear that you 'got the bug'.  HAVE FUN!!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 11:17:52 PM »

Also, what is the etiquette on found tackle? As I said, was at a few different bars at low tide, so got to go right down over the rocks and onto a nice sandy beach and such, but in the rocks was all sorts of lines, weights, bouncing betty's (I think) and a couple lures. Obviously I could post  an ad on craigslist or here, but I was wondering peoples opinions on the issue.

Finders keepers. If you happen to find a Drennan float with a Maple Leaf logo, throw it away. Bad karma :D

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 11:27:05 PM »

Alright. I used to golf with a guy that would NEVER, EVER touch someones elses ball. He always said if it was lost, it was lost for a reason. Was wondering if anyone else had that same mentality.

If I found anything that looked, or I knew to be worth 30+ dollars I would probably put up a found post, but as I said, nothing special today, just bits and pieces. And I did lose my lure. Which was kind of funny. I lost mine, and after 4 steps to walk back to my girlfriend, i saw a shiny spoon on between a couple rocks. Just a really lightweight one, but still!

colin6101

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 02:30:19 AM »

My opinion on terminal tackle has always been that it is fair game. However if I were to find a reel/rod or anything of that variety I would definitely try and get it back. I always take a garbage bag with me when i go fishing and pick up whatever I can on the way out and often find weights and lures when I'm fishing low water conditions. 

jacked55

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 01:12:13 PM »

Hey Danjohn were you at brownsville bar, around 4-6pm wearing a black sleeveless shirt with a hat, and your girlfriend was wearing a yellow shirt? And you guys were sitting on the log by the western end?

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 02:01:06 PM »

Hey Danjohn were you at brownsville bar, around 4-6pm wearing a black sleeveless shirt with a hat, and your girlfriend was wearing a yellow shirt? And you guys were sitting on the log by the western end?
Close but off by 12 hours. We were there at 6 am, she was wearing a yellow tank top siting on the log and I was down the rocks to the east of the beach. There were a bunch of fellas with drift rigs so I tried to stay a ways away from em. but if you ever think ya see me just check for my vera lynn tattoo, quite unique.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 02:45:07 PM »

You guys see any jumpers out there?