Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions on Pink Run and General Beginner Ignorance  (Read 9107 times)

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
Questions on Pink Run and General Beginner Ignorance
« on: August 04, 2011, 01:10:44 AM »

So I am pretty new to fishing. But Ive got a 6 1/2 foot spinning rod, which Ive been told is fine for some pink fishing. The reel says a max load of 8lb test over 130 yards and the rod is a medium action (IM8 if that matters at all to anyone.) A baitcaster salmon rod will be gotten next year so I am trying to work with what I have here. I am hoping some of you could advise me towards a little bit of gear, and where to go to muck around and learn to fish a river. I am only carrying a Non Tidal License, and should be getting my Salmon Stamp in the next little while before I head out. So

From what I have been able to gather so far

1 Pinks love Pink! Sure, easy enough. Lures, wool, whatever. What about size of hooks? I got a few barbless #1's (I think) from a friend. Are these too big for my eventual setup? What about lures? What sort of size would I need?

2 Line. I was pondering it and thinking I could do a 10lb braided test with say, an 8lb leader so the line would go before my rod/reel. From what Ive read though, your leader should be stronger than your main line. So should I go 8lb test with a 10/12lb leader? Is braided even an option? Ive read its quite finnicky on spinning reels, and am not sure if its worth it.

3 Places to go. I dont want to be that guy that goes out and just gets in peoples way, who know what they are doing. Id like somewhere (even if I need to park and walk a half hour or more) that I can have a chance at catching something, but at the same time be able to make mistakes and try new things without getting in someones way. I do like to fish alone simply cause the quiet is gorgeous and and I can concentrate a little better and learn and analyze what Im doing right and wrong.

4 Any other sort of information, tips, directions to any sort of experience or any knowledge you think would be good.

Ive got the idea that a lot of you guys are a bit old school and very "We all learned the hard way, you should to!" which is fine. Im very "learn by doing" but its just a bit overwhelming. My grandfather was a very avid fisherman (He would probably slap me if I called him an angler) but unfortunately his health started to go downhill right as I was beginning become old enough to learn these things. Aside from him, I dont know anyone who fishes, so its like Im standing here with a rod in one hand, a tackle box in the other saying "Ok, now what!" Thank you for any help!

Oh, and like most other forums, Im sure this has all been gone over. I tried to search for a while a couple days ago, but I havent really been able to find the specifics to what I am looking for. Im sure its there, and I will continue to go through old threads as well, but I just thought it would be ok to make one too.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:14:15 AM by DanJohn »
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Questions on Pink Run and General Beginner Ignorance
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 01:25:17 AM »

The 6.5ft spinning rod is fine if it is rated at least 4 to 8lb test, any less would become a problem especially in the non-tidal part of the Fraser River. I like to spool my spinning reel with 8lb test mono for casting spoons and spinners. This is enough for pink salmon, and most of the coho salmon fishing if you decide to do that in October. Your leader should be thinner than your main line. A leader is not necessary by the way, I like to tie my lure directly to the main line, to avoid any additional terminal tackle and possible line twists.

1/4oz spoon or other lures, or heavier if your fishing spot has quite a bit of current. I like to use 1/0 hooks on the lures. #1 is more appropriate if you are fishing with wool, or bait, etc.

Pink is not the only colour that works. Sometimes it doesn't work. Chartreuse, orange, or even plain silver are worth trying.

Can't help you much with spots in the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River. Too far and crowded in my opinion if you are going from Vancouver. I like to fish in the tidal portion, where the fish are fresher from the ocean and the drive is shorter. http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2007/0807_01.html

Chilliwack River is also another place that is worth trying if you decide not to get a tidal water fishing licence. There should be no shortage of pink salmon by the second week of September in that system. The lower stretch is your best bet.

colin6101

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 01:37:20 AM »

Hey DanJohn, we've all been there before and you seem to be asking the right questions already so I will try and help out and I'm sure some of the senior members here will have some better advice as well.

1. Size 1 hooks are not too big for pink salmon and are generally what i would use on lures when spincasting for them in the fraser. As far as lures go, small spoons are usually the best way to go if you are going to be fishing the fraser. Pink is definately the most popular choice but I have had better days on orange and green spoons as well.

2. You actually want to make your leader lighter then your mainline. Then if you snag up or hook into a fish too large to land it will simply break your leader and you will not lose 50+ yards of line. For spincasting for pinks you only need 8pound mainline or so. Braided line is definately good in certain circumstances but not necessary for the most part. I always just run 8-10 pound maxima ultragreen on my spincast rods and have never had any pink salmon break me off. You honestly don't even need to run a leader when using this line and if you do need to break it off it will break where your knot is (usually attached to a swivel at the end of the line).

3. I honestly don't know a lot of spots for pink salmon in the non-tidal portion of the fraser so someone else might be able to help you out better there. If you get your tidal license then I would recommend going down to Duncan bar or Derby reach in the langley area of the Fraser. There is lots of room to explore and there is usually a friendly atmosphere (unlike some of the bars higher up the river). One other place you can try later in september is the lower vedder. If you are willing to put in some walking you can find yourself some open space to spincast for sure, just avoid the areas right by the parking lots as they get quite busy.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:38:05 AM »

The 6.5ft spinning rod is fine if it is rated at least 4 to 8lb test, any less would become a problem especially in the non-tidal part of the Fraser River. I like to spool my spinning reel with 8lb test mono for casting spoons and spinners. This is enough for pink salmon, and most of the coho salmon fishing if you decide to do that in October. Your leader should be thinner than your main line. A leader is not necessary by the way, I like to tie my lure directly to the main line, to avoid any additional terminal tackle and possible line twists.

1/4oz spoon or other lures, or heavier if your fishing spot has quite a bit of current. I like to use 1/0 hooks on the lures. #1 is more appropriate if you are fishing with wool, or bait, etc.

Pink is not the only colour that works. Sometimes it doesn't work. Chartreuse, orange, or even plain silver are worth trying.

Can't help you much with spots in the non-tidal portion of the Fraser River. Too far and crowded in my opinion if you are going from Vancouver. I like to fish in the tidal portion, where the fish are fresher from the ocean and the drive is shorter. http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2007/0807_01.html

Chilliwack River is also another place that is worth trying if you decide not to get a tidal water fishing licence. There should be no shortage of pink salmon by the second week of September in that system. The lower stretch is your best bet.
Hey thanks for the quick response bossman!

I will try to respond in the order you did to keep things clear

It is a 4-8 lb rating. Mono sounds good to me! Cheaper at least. If I can, I will be going after the coho later in the year. At this point, I want to go after everything right now! No leader, or lower test leader. See what I like, and go from there.

1/4 oz - 1/2 oz I assume? I would be fishing near chilliwack I think. So 1/0 for a lure, 1 for a wool setup. More testing! More fishing!

I am actually in Surrey, but I had thought I read somewhere that the tidal portion of the Fraser ran all the way to mission. I figured if that was the case, just get down onto the Vedder and fish there. Seems to be a liked area. Ive actually read that article you posted twice before tonight, but I was not sure if it would apply AT ALL to me because I only have a non tidal license.

Lower Stretch of Chilliwack. Do you mean way far east where the Hatchery is? Or more west? Sorry, Ive never been to these spots, so I am just scoping google maps trying to figure out spots.

But thank you very much for your post!

Hey thank you too Colin! Awesome stuff. Its good to know that although slightly off, I am on the right track. I actually just read an article today that mentioned a heavier leader. Before that, I thought it was as you guys said, with lower test. So good to clarify. Aside from that, everything else is just a matter of picking up some heavier line, and a few lures and getting out there I suppose! Good tips on spots. I am ok with heading to Chilliwack, possibly not even getting a stamp, just catch and release just to learn since I wont be getting any monsters. But I just hate the idea of buying another license when the seasons already half gone. Also I think the idea of starting on a smaller river like is less intimidating than with the Fraser.  And walking is perfect with me. Usually me and my girlfriend go out for the day (Last was Buntzen a few days ago, not a nibble!) and we just explore and fish and relax. So a nice little hike is good too!

The lower stretch of the Chilliwhack river is from the Keith Wilson Bridge down. This is where the river starts to slow down enough so that spincasting is possible. Fishing the river higher up usually requires a heavier setup since you are also fighting a stronger current.

Ahh. Thats easy. I was prepared to go waaaaaaaay east of that  :D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:48:26 AM by DanJohn »

colin6101

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 01:41:09 AM »

The lower stretch of the Chilliwhack river is from the Keith Wilson Bridge down. This is where the river starts to slow down enough so that spincasting is possible. Fishing the river higher up usually requires a heavier setup since you are also fighting a stronger current.

adecadelost

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »

The advice you have gotten is spot on.
Just go with 8lb mono (ultragreen is my preference as well) and a 1/4oz spoon and your set.
There are a few places right on the fraser that produce well for pinks and you don't need to drive all the way to Chilliwack.
There is a great book that most tackle shops sell, I can't remember the name but it's something simple like "fishing the fraser" It's an older coil bound book but is an amazing tool for finding places on the river to fish.
The vedder does hold pinks but contrary to popular belief it's not the only river.  Get out and do a little searching and you'll be rewarded.

As for Coho you're 8lb test will work but may be a touch light for a newbee depending on the system you're fishing.

You're on the right track, just get out an explore and don't be afraid of making mistakes.  Just use a little common sense and be respectful of others and you shouldn't have any problems. 

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 10:33:24 AM »

If you're in Surrey, you are better off to stay there than to drive out to the Vedder when the pinks come.  Just get yourself down to the River Road and fish virtually anywhere that there is access.  Watch for other cars parked along the road and join in.  You WILL pop your Pink cherry in a couple weeks.

Get yourself a tidal water license and enjoy the fresher fish (as Rodney mentioned).  You will make up the cost of the license in gas and time savings from driving out to the Vedder.

The Pink run will be a good way to get some fishing time under your belt (with more space to work) to get the kinks out and develop your abiliities.

Head to the Vedder later in the year for Coho. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 10:58:44 AM »

1/2oz is too much for pink salmon, and too heavy to cast with the 4-8lb test spinning rod. The heaviest I've gone is 3/8oz and that's enough to fish at waters where pink salmon swim in.

The 4-8lb test rod will be ok for pink salmon and some coho salmon fishing, but you'll find it a challenge to bring in a percentage of fish that return in October on the Vedder River (chinook, chum and bigger coho). If I am using a spinning rod during that time of the year, I usually use one that's rated 6-10 or 8-12lb test.

With the freshwater fishing licence, you don't have to travel all the way to the Vedder for pinks. On the Fraser River, anywhere upstream from the Mission CPR bridge (DFO designated tidal boundary for Fraser River) should work. I think there are a few wide areas just above that bridge where you can catch them without many problems.

As Damien said, the cost of buying a tidal licence and fish near Surrey is probably a lot cheaper than travelling to east of Mission. The advantage of fishing down around Surrey, Richmond etc, is having the luxury of retaining much fresher fish. It's easier to fish among other anglers too due to the lack of river current. The advantage of fishing near Chilliwack is that most fish are no longer travelling as it is already near their spawning ground, but your likelihood of encountering more coloured fish is a lot bigger.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 11:37:59 AM »

Slow retrieve.... just enough to give your lure action.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 11:51:27 AM »

If you are going to buy spoons buy the 4 packs not the singles to save a buck or two.

Butch1949

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 05:56:12 PM »

If you have your freshwater license and additional salmon tag, then wish to acquire your salt  water license, need you also acquire a salmon tag for saltwater fishing?, in other words is it mandatory to fish both waters for salmon to have two salmon tags? ???
"I don't catch fish"

Butch1949

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 06:00:25 PM »

Rodney those lures for pinks look great , for a novice where would you suggest buyi Bait & tAng?, Army & Navy?, Barry's? :o
"I don't catch fish"

Butch1949

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »

Man I got to learn to type better, meant to type where to buy ....Army & Navy?, Barry's Bait & Tackle?
"I don't catch fish"

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 07:37:18 PM »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well I took what I learned and went to walmart!

I got suffix because Ive read price-performance is great. And that its not bad by any means. We will see, if I do not like it, I can alway grab a spool of Maxima.

Grabbed some wool. Need to look up how to attach :P

And 2 Lures. One being the Gibbs Spoon. Was the only thing they had in a pink spoon outside of a 18 dollar pack for Pinks (Had 2 spoons, a spinner, and a weird long pink minnow looking thing.) Was wondering if this spinner was a decent size. Could not decide on the 2 or the 3, cause Im just not sure what those worked out to. So I got the 3, and if I need the 2 I can take her back and exchange it!

And I am pretty sure next week I will be heading in and getting my Tidal license (And of course, probably blow more cash on tackle!) You guys made lots of sense, and although not as pretty as heading east, at least then I can do both!

Thanks for all your postings!

/edit

Oh hey! The Mepps site has a really nice feature of showing you the species you are hunting, and the corresponding lure size to use. Pinks being 2, 3, and 4. So because I am on a smaller rod/reel maybe I should go for the Size 2 spinner?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:41:32 PM by DanJohn »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 08:33:30 PM »

The answer to your question about the tags is... yes, you do need a second tag on your tidal license (a salmon tag on each one if you are planning to keep fish), however, you do not need a tag to fish for salmon (unlike steelhead), only to keep them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:36:09 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost