Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Preparation of the pinks  (Read 7335 times)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Re: Preparation of the pinks
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 07:49:19 PM »

Not directly off the bottom but close.  Where I normally fish I was catching bullheads and flounders if the jig touched bottom often.

I think having rhythm is important.  My jig is bopping along to whatever song is in my head at the time.  :P

lapa

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »

cutthroat, and other fraser river jiggers, do you prefer to jig directly off the bottom as you bring it in, or do you jig it off the bottom a bit?

Personally, I fish with float.

wizard

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »

lapa I always use a float with jigs, but have never tried or seen someone using a float and jig in the actual lower fraser, theoretically it should still work...do you use float and jig in lower fraser?

lapa

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 08:44:30 PM »

lapa I always use a float with jigs, but have never tried or seen someone using a float and jig in the actual lower fraser, theoretically it should still work...do you use float and jig in lower fraser?
Yes, I do.

MIKE1

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 10:37:36 PM »

cutthroat, and other fraser river jiggers, do you prefer to jig directly off the bottom as you bring it in, or do you jig it off the bottom a bit?

also I've  done real well with orange, pink or red buzz bombs in lower fraser jigged vertically.
Small flies like a pink wooly bugger with a gold beadhead has worked well.  I don't think pinks like faster retreives either, low and slow. And be prepared for hits at your feet, haha.
But if you can, I def think fly rod gives best bang for buck for pinkies.

This in pools at Garry point of Dump bar in east Richmond.

MIKE1

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »

This in pools at Garry point of Dump bar in east Richmond.

And by "this" I meant I have tried those few things and they have all worked very well for me

jacked55

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »

went out yesterday and bought a few of these to hopefully get me some pink action soon. Thanks for all the advice guys.

obie1fish

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 06:11:40 PM »

I usually use a bead head pink, cherise, and/or chartreuse fly- size 8 in clearer water. Using a loop knot, and a slow, jittery retrieve turns the fly into a micro-jig. Otherwise it's rabbit-strip or marabou jigs on a trout rod. I like the idea of a float for the snaggy sections where I fish.

Going to try making jigs out of my many many sundry leftover octopus hooks and small (1/8 oz or so) end trimmings from my pencil lead. It's a great chance for my sons to learn fly-tying. I'm sure it will work since not much hasn't worked. Except for last year- all I got were coho- no pinks!?!?!?! ;)

Yes, just kidding.....

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 07:02:09 PM »

Hey guys. Signed up for this forum just recently as it seems about the best fishing resource for the lower mainland online. Already read a lot of info.

My question, as i will post here since I cant seem to find a make a thread option (i assume cause Im new) and wouldnt know what to search for, is what kind of specs would I need on a rod/reel to fish salmon? Mainly Sockeye/Pinks I believe, although I cant throw out the idea of other varieties, just all I know is those are the two I would be going for. I would be river fishing from shore, and I cant see having access to a boat in salt anytime soon.

I am thinking since I just got into things this year, and already dropped about $100 dollars all together on a decent little trout setup that I will wait til next year to grab stuff, but I do like to research and price things out, then plan! At this point Ive got an Abu Garcia spinning combo, but according to the reel specs it will only handle up to 8lb test over 130 yards, and I wouldnt think that would be safe for salmon fishing in the fraser.

Thanks for any help, if you need more info feel free to ask. If this is too derailing to this thread, feel free to just shoot me a private message!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

fishbuster

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 07:08:04 PM »

The spinning combo you have is perfect for the pinks and even coho.  When it comes to the sockeye, if they open, you will need a totally different kind of set up.  The next combo rod and reel you need is a 10.5 ft rod and a level wind reel.  A good rod for drift fishing, lower fraser bar fishing and if you choose to target sockeye, bottom bouncing.  Good luck

MIKE1

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011, 05:56:20 PM »

Hey guys. Signed up for this forum just recently as it seems about the best fishing resource for the lower mainland online. Already read a lot of info.

My question, as i will post here since I cant seem to find a make a thread option (i assume cause Im new) and wouldnt know what to search for, is what kind of specs would I need on a rod/reel to fish salmon? Mainly Sockeye/Pinks I believe, although I cant throw out the idea of other varieties, just all I know is those are the two I would be going for. I would be river fishing from shore, and I cant see having access to a boat in salt anytime soon.

I am thinking since I just got into things this year, and already dropped about $100 dollars all together on a decent little trout setup that I will wait til next year to grab stuff, but I do like to research and price things out, then plan! At this point Ive got an Abu Garcia spinning combo, but according to the reel specs it will only handle up to 8lb test over 130 yards, and I wouldnt think that would be safe for salmon fishing in the fraser.

Thanks for any help, if you need more info feel free to ask. If this is too derailing to this thread, feel free to just shoot me a private message!

Fish the pinks this year and then move into other fisheries, see how it handles when you have to start adding heavier test line and you have to fish with different setups and adapt your rod, reel and get more as needed. You will either keep it a casual hobby where you might only upgrade abit a year or make it a full time hobby where you are always upgrading.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »

You will either keep it a casual hobby where you might only upgrade abit a year or make it a full time hobby where you are always upgrading.

That full-time hobby is jeopardizing my full-time job so beware of what you choose!  ;D

MIKE1

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »

That full-time hobby is jeopardizing my full-time job so beware of what you choose!  ;D

As well a fiance that starts to question who I would like to spend more time with... fish or her... and the answer depends on how either of them is biting!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:44:46 AM by MIKE1 »

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 10:00:28 PM »

As well a fiance that starts to question who I would like to spend more time with... fish or her... and the answer depends on how either of them is biting!
Hahah

Well luckily my girlfriend (OF 8 YEARS!) is into fishing with me. I am a bit more into the techincals and learning and trying all sorts of different stuff, and she just wants to go out once in a while. But still, luckily she understands the lure of a fight and a catch.

BUT. In regards to what you said, I am usually the type that goes full boar. This is why I dont want to drop any more cash this season in case I dont fall in love with the sport, but I am pretty sure its gonna be a life long hobby.

Was checking out bait casting salmon rods today. I was a little mesmerized. hehehe
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 10:32:46 PM »

Hahah

This is why I dont want to drop any more cash this season

Was checking out bait casting salmon rods today. I was a little mesmerized. hehehe

A good example of times when the heart and the tongue don't speak the same language!  ;D ;D