Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: coho advice for lower fraser  (Read 10725 times)

fisher88

Re: coho advice for lower fraser
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2005, 06:39:50 PM »

i picked it up a tackle shop..  boraxed roe.,, i was fishing faster water so that was probably the reason why.
If you aint dutch you aint much!

fishherron

• DSC00434-001
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005, 07:43:21 PM »

It makes no difference with the type of roe used when roe fishing in the Fraser River.
You ain't fished that river very much!!!
Fish for all your worth but, remember what the fish are worth.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2005, 08:23:01 PM »

I guess not. ;)

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2005, 11:44:01 PM »

I would have to agree that the type of roe makes no difference, the main concern is getting roe that will stay on the hook good, this means roe that isn't too mushy or wet, but you don't want roe that is too hard because sometimes the fish will nibble on it before swallowing, if the roe is hard it might turn them off.  Some days I have used the ugliest looking gas station roe and outfished guys using beautiful looking boraxed chum roe.  The main reason chum roe is so desirable is that the eggs are big making it easier to see in murky water.

fishherron

• DSC00434-001
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2005, 12:35:05 PM »

I have bar fished the lower Fraser longer then most guys on here have been alive! If you want to catch Coho you best get good dog roe. The dog roe from the Fraser is the best. Nit Nat and Johnstone St roe is not nearly as good but will usually" out fish" other roe. Then you get into,is the roe freah when you get it, is it to inmature is to mature. Has it been frozen once already. How long has it been in the fish before it was taken out. How many times can you take boraxed roe fishing and refreeze it. Yes other roe does work. But so does every lure in every tackle shop every where at one time. For constancy dog roe is the best.
Fish for all your worth but, remember what the fish are worth.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2005, 08:50:33 PM »

Well, fished the lower fraser this morning.  Got 1 wild coho, and 2 chum!!!!!  There were 5 guys there, they were all using chum roe.  I was again using pink roe.  They hooked nothing.  I know the theory behind using chum roe on the fraser.  I would probably use it if I had it.  But for me Pink roe is working SO good, I figure that I will stick with that!!!!!
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2005, 09:19:58 PM »

Well all I use is a three way swivel with a 2 foot leader.  That is about it.  Nice and simple!!!! ;D ;D

No_way

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2005, 09:36:23 PM »

I guess not. ;)

Good one, Rod!  It's ok, he's a newbie  ;)

On to the topic.  I've fished the lower Frazer for coho for MANY years.  If you fish around Langley/Fort Langley I'll tell you what you will see 9 out of 10 people using:  Double bar rig, 2-3 oz weight, and boraxed "Dog"/Chum roe.  No roe bags.  Never seen anyone have any luck with salted roe there; however, I've seen plenty of fish caught on boraxed roe of every kind.  Chum just seems to be the general preference.

Also, as a kid I really liked to use garden worms as bait on the off tides when the cohos weren't doing much.  There's a really good chance you'll get some nice cutties or coho jacks.

Oh well.  For what it's worth.

-NW

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2005, 09:39:59 PM »

Well all I use is a three way swivel with a 2 foot leader. That is about it. Nice and simple!!!! ;D ;D
Ya not only is it simple, but you dont go through as much roe. And remember dont get short on how much you put on your hook. Because when the fish is nibbling on it, if he feels the hard hook he will most likeley spit it.

No_way

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2005, 09:43:31 PM »

Well all I use is a three way swivel with a 2 foot leader.  That is about it.  Nice and simple!!!! ;D ;D

A question Big Steel:  What sort of weight are you using and how do you stick it to the swivel?  They should make 3-ways with a snap on one end.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2005, 09:49:16 PM »

I just use about a 10" pc of 10lb test. I will either attach a penny weight or a small pyrimid weight, depending on the tide!!!

No_way

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2005, 09:52:49 PM »

It doesn't tangle up?  And if not, then what are the spreaders on a bar rig for anyhow?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2005, 09:58:44 PM »

As I said before, I don't use spreaders.  I only use a couple of pcs of line, a three way, and a hook.  That is it!!!!! ;D ;D

No_way

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2005, 10:04:48 PM »

No, I know that.  But if your rig doesn't tangle, I was wondering why people use spreaders at all.  It was a general question.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2005, 10:10:24 PM »

Got ya!!!!!  I don't know why, I used to use them and I found that they would tangle as well.  So I just started trying this and the first day I did, I caught a hatchery Steelhead.  So I just stuckk with it!!! ;D ;D