Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Calling all centre-pin gurus  (Read 10683 times)

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re: Calling all centre-pin gurus
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 09:06:00 AM »

Hey, check this site out for casting centre pins

http://www.questoutdoors.net/skills/centerpin/

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 10:37:40 AM »

Will do Randy. ;D
We can build it, take me to your Banker!

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 02:50:37 PM »

This is a real vote of confidence because I found that at my age nothing much works.  :'(I may take you up on your offer.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2005, 12:41:50 AM »

Tailwaker, the J.W. Young Purist is a light duty reel. I had one (serial #23) for over 10 years now. It has a small steel pin compared to the Silex Superbra I also have.  I use the Purist for steelhead & coho only, using a custom Loomis 1261, pretty light action rod to compliment the Purist. You have to be careful to use it on the mightly springs, especially those on the Fraser, for which I use my Silex c.p. and Calcutta 400.

How do you like the Patagonia wading boots, Rod?  My Patagonia Beefy (studded sole) is a bit too small for me (size 10). Perhaps I have grown (fatten? ;D) now to fit a size 11. I will likely post it for sale (near new) if my feet keep feeling sore. It is surely the top of the line product though, strong, tough, durable, comfortable and good support. 

« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 01:13:42 AM by funfish »

Tailwalker

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 08:10:14 AM »

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen . I bumped into a guy at the Kamloops Fly Shop the other day , who teaches their rod building classes . This guy has built about 120 pin rods over the years , and gave me some good advice regarding rod selection . So , I think I`m just going to roll my own . I`ve built a few fly rods in the past , but this will be my first attempt at a pin rod . Should be fun . ;D
Study to be quiet

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 04:26:04 PM »

for those that are interested in a price point rod that will stand up well. There are 3 models of Trophy XL "center pin" rods
1) TCS590C......9'
2)TCS5100C......10'
3)TCS5105MLC.......10'6"
These rods all retail around $100.00. and come complete ready to fish. The combo that was sold comes usaully comes with a 10' rod but there is a longer and slightly heavier 10'6" available. This is a bit of a sales pitch, but tackle stores do not stock everything that is available and these rods are available to any tackle store in BC they just may not choose to stock them. The 9' rod also makes a great lead core line trolling rod for fishing in the bigger lakes like Sheridan lake near 100 mile house.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2005, 08:44:30 AM »

One comment I read along that string is that you want a rod that loads quickly...I presonally disagree with that.  In fact my understanding is that a CP rod should load slowly.  That allows the drum to build up speed as opposed to being quickly snappped by a faster rod and the quicker the action, the more chance of backlashing.

In terms of learning to cast a center pin, my advice is to put on a little extra weight initially.  This allows you to sling it out there and will allow for a heavy hand when contolling the spool as casting.  once you have a feel for the reel and rod, how it loads to cast, and how to controll the spool mid cast, at that point you can then start reducing you weight.