Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead Tag  (Read 10744 times)

Dylb

Steelhead Tag
« on: February 08, 2016, 10:17:07 PM »

Hey all,

Just looking for opinions/clarification:

Those of you fishing for rainbow/cutty/bull trout in various river systems that also harbour steelhead... for arguments sake lets say January - April: squamish, chehailis, stave, vedder

Do you purchase and fish with a steelhead tag, even if you have no intent of fishing for steelhead?

I often try to imagine how the conversation with a CO would go in explaining "but I'm not fishing for steelhead!"
Or would it just be obvious based on the tackle you are using that you would not require a tag?

Or do you just buck-up and get the tag just incase?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:19:00 PM by Dylb »

Britguy

• Old Timer
Re: Steelhead Tag
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 10:34:30 PM »

Your basic licence must be validated with a conservation surcharge stamp if you intend to fish for steelhead anywhere in B.C. (whether you intend to keep or release your catch).

I get a tag every year even if i don't fish for Steel 8)
money goes to a good cause :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:37:47 PM by Britguy »

Dylb

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 11:23:51 PM »

Fair enough!

The grey area for me has always been their wording... "if you intend"

I guess the root of my question being how would they prove intent?

For the record this isn't trying to start a debate, just honest curiosity on whether it would be a faux pas/unethical/against etiquette to fish certain waters during steelhead season without a tag, even if honestly fishing for other species.

Thanks again

sbc hris

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 11:42:23 PM »

It has recently been debated a few times on here. A search should bring it up. I do believe you in not looking for a debate, but you're probably going to get one lol. It's just a bit of a grey area with no clear answer. I'm sure they are reasonable with these rules. I got checked once while fishing for steelhead, with obvious steelhead gear. And what did the CO say? " oh wow you even have a steelhead stamp on your licence!" I'm pretty sure if I didn't, he wouldn't have done anything. Not that I would ever advocate not getting one, I ALWAYS do. But if you can honestly tell yourself that you're not targetting steelhead, and your not fishing heavy drift or fly gear, then I'm sure you're just fine.

Dylb

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 05:31:33 AM »

Right on I appreciate the input!

Didn't realize it was a hot topic, so we will leave it at that

Curiosity satisfied, no reason to debate.

Thanks again

wizard

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 08:25:49 AM »

Id suggest getting the tag. If there are steelhead present in the system you have a reasonable chance of hooking or catching one no matter what you are using and regardless the gear youre using except for maybe dryflies and 3 weight fly rod.  Many people, myself included do use light gear for steelhead as well...

eager_rookie

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 09:59:16 AM »

Right on I appreciate the input!

Didn't realize it was a hot topic, so we will leave it at that

Curiosity satisfied, no reason to debate.

Thanks again

I've run into CO's on the Squamish a few times this season while targeting trout, and they've insisted on seeing my steelhead tag each time (despite the fact that I'm fishing a 5wt). I didn't get the impression that tackle made any difference to them, they were insistent that I show my tags. Save yourself the hassle, and have the opportunity to fish for chrome.

eager_rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 10:00:58 AM »

It has recently been debated a few times on here. A search should bring it up. I do believe you in not looking for a debate, but you're probably going to get one lol. It's just a bit of a grey area with no clear answer. I'm sure they are reasonable with these rules. I got checked once while fishing for steelhead, with obvious steelhead gear. And what did the CO say? " oh wow you even have a steelhead stamp on your licence!" I'm pretty sure if I didn't, he wouldn't have done anything. Not that I would ever advocate not getting one, I ALWAYS do. But if you can honestly tell yourself that you're not targetting steelhead, and your not fishing heavy drift or fly gear, then I'm sure you're just fine.

Yeah, my experience has been the exact opposite. Could be an individual CO thing, could be the area. But December thru May up there I've been grilled about steelhead, regardless of my gear or what I'm targeting.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 10:14:34 AM »

Think of it this way...for 6$, you can stop thinking about it.

bobby b

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 10:48:34 AM »

$6.00? ...... You mean $25

from gov bc site.....

"Your basic licence must be validated with a conservation surcharge stamp if you intend to fish for steelhead anywhere in B.C. (whether you intend to keep or release your catch). In addition, a steelhead stamp is mandatory when fishing on most classified waters during certain specified periods, even when fishing for species other than steelhead. Refer to the regional tables for dates and exceptions."

I dont see any 'exceptions' in the Region 2 table

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 10:56:19 AM »

$6.00? ...... You mean $25

from gov bc site.....

"Your basic licence must be validated with a conservation surcharge stamp if you intend to fish for steelhead anywhere in B.C. (whether you intend to keep or release your catch). In addition, a steelhead stamp is mandatory when fishing on most classified waters during certain specified periods, even when fishing for species other than steelhead. Refer to the regional tables for dates and exceptions."

I dont see any 'exceptions' in the Region 2 table

None of those rivers are Classified Waters. Regardless, just get the stamp.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences/docs/classified_waters.pdf

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 11:05:44 AM »

Was witness to a CO checking a angler within earshot of myself who didn't have a steelhead tag. The angler told the CO he was fishing for trout. CO said " okay, it would sure be a shame if you catch a nice 14 pd hatchery steelhead and have to throw it back".  That was it, the CO left.

bobby b

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 11:07:23 AM »

None of those rivers are Classified Waters. Regardless, just get the stamp.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/licences/docs/classified_waters.pdf

Ahhhhh... OK

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 11:15:11 AM »

Ahhhhh... OK
Honestly this is the one area that is rather easily defined in the regs that people make a grey area.

If you are going to be fishing for Steelhead get the stamp.  If you're going to be fishing a system during a time the regs say to get the stamp, get the stamp.  If you're going to be fishing and don't fall into the above categories, don't get the stamp unless you wish to pay $25 towards conservation.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 11:15:27 AM »

Modify and quote need to be further apart for the mobile users.....