Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2-stroke start up  (Read 10772 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
2-stroke start up
« on: August 26, 2015, 12:34:04 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this. So the motor on our new (to us) boat is a 2011 Mercury 90/65 outboard jet. It runs beautifully and we are really happy with it. A little hard to hear what the person beside you is saying past 4000rpm, but whatever.

Anyway, we have had the boat for about 3 weeks and have had the boat out 5 or so times. Each time I have a bit of a hard time getting it to start up and not stall. Once I get a "good start" it idles a bit rough for 30 sec or so and smokes a bit (apparently common for 2 strokes).

My cold start up procedure is as follows: squeese the ball on the fuel line until firm/hard. Push the fast idle lever up about 1/2 way. While pushing the key in to prime turn it over. The engine will fire after 3-4 seconds but then stall. The previous owner said then he'll NOT prime the motor (push in key while turning over) and instead will just turn over the motor using the fast idle lever. This is what I have been doing. Normally the motor will start/stall a couple more times, then start and all is good after that.

Any suggestions? Maybe give it full fast idle on the inital start?

My plan with this motor is just to run is "as is" until I set it up for storgae (flush, fog, etc) in November-ish. Then in the spring take it to a marine mechanic and have it serviced. Perhaps the idle speed needs to be adjusted, carb cleaned or adjusted?

I have not checked the spark plugs (3) yet. Not sure if they are on their way out if this would affect start up? I was planning to just put new ones in next spring.

This is the first 2-stroke outboard I have ever owned so maybe I am missing something? I have a 2-stroke chainsaw and weedeater and use with no issues.

Gone_Fishin_

Re: 2-stroke start up
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 01:41:40 PM »

Sounds like a fuel issue.

Could try and clean/replace the fuel filter. Pump the ball until it is rock solid. Fast idle lever all the way up and prime while starting.

Being a new motor it shouldnt have any starting issues. Likely something is not right and could use a cleaning or adjustment.

I have a 115 Mercury tower of power (mid-80's i believe) worst starting motor i've ever dealt with, either needs starting fluid to get it going or have to pump the fuel hose ball and keep on it while fast lever all the way up and choke pushed multiple times while cranking. Once she fires and is warm and has fuel up in there no troubles.

fullahead

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 01:43:38 PM »

That engine has a carbonator give it some throttle when you start it.  You are giving it more air when you do that. It will start better.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 03:23:47 PM »

With the big 2-strokes the fuel used to "fall" out of the carb when you lilted the motor and any deficiencies in the fuel line would cause a harder start.

What I find to work on the 2 strokes:
Squeeze the primer bulb till it firm up - over doing it is no good
Lift the choke lever full up
Crank the motor - it should start or fart some life.
If it starts up - drop the choke lever down and let the engine warm up a bit. Expect to see some blue since you just gave it a super charge of fuel mix.
If it just farts but doesn't start - lower the choke and give it a crank - it should roar to life.

The engine won't run long if it's choked. Then you're flooding it and it won't start until you run the fuel out by cranking with the choke off.

Once you find the sweet start procedure - don't deviate from it.

A weak or leaking primer bulb or hose will cause you some grief. Correct it at home so you don't have to on the water.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 04:39:16 PM »

Thanks for replies guys.

Gone_Fishin_: There is a small fuel filter under the bonnet. No idea when it was last changed. The oldest it would be is 2011. Reckon I should swap it out? It is clear and "looks" clean.

I'll try and push the fast idel lever all the way up instead of 1/2 way.

Question about priming. Do you HOLD the key in the entire time while turning the engine over (what I do), or, hold it in for a second or two while initially turning the engine over, then keep turning it over but let the key out (never tried this).

fullahead: The only "throttle" you can give the motor is fast idle (lever up), or prime it with the key when turning over. You can not move the throttle ahead when the motor is off (safety feature).

Rieber: Good tips. I'm not sure why you don't want to over squeeze the bulb, but I'll try and just pump it until firm and not go overboard. And I will also try the fast idle lever all the way up.

I'm a little confused by your use of "choke." Are you referring the fast idle lever, or the prime function used by pushing the key in (isn't this the same as using a choke?). Actually I just re-read what you wrote. Sounds like you are talking about the f/i lever. So......do you also use the prime function with the ignition key?

As far as I know no issues with primer bulb or fuel hose.

chromeo

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 05:15:38 PM »

Buy yourself a bottle of yamaha ring free.  Best thing ever put into my gas mix and it works for all types of 2 strokes

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 07:29:32 PM »

hard to explain but here goes.

This is start up in the water not on land.

-Squeeze primer bulb

-Use the idle lever about 1/2 - 3/4, you won't over rev since the jet impeller is always moving water.

-Start cranking the engine, when the engine is cranking over, push and release, every second, push and release until it starts. Don't keep it pushed in. Use it like a pump.

Now it's running.

-leave the idle lever up, as the engine begins to idle down on its own (like it's about to stall), push the key again (the engine will rev up) Every time it sounds like the high idle is falling, push the key again (push and release don't hold it in) Do this until the rpm is stable and dosnt fall.

- once the rpm is stable and you can lower the idle lever to a warm up rpm.

In the summer it may only need a few key pumps (key pushes), but in the winter or cold mornings you will need a lot  more key pumps.

Hot starts almost never need key pumps, only high idle lever. If it doesn't start give it a key pump while cranking.But don't over do it on hot starts.

Never hold the key in, use it like a pump. And don't key pump without the engine cranking.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 09:18:37 PM »

[quote
Rieber: Good tips. I'm not sure why you don't want to over squeeze the bulb, but I'll try and just pump it until firm and not go overboard. And I will also try the fast idle lever all the way up.

I'm a little confused by your use of "choke." Are you referring the fast idle lever, or the prime function used by pushing the key in (isn't this the same as using a choke?). Actually I just re-read what you wrote. Sounds like you are talking about the f/i lever. So......do you also use the prime function with the ignition key?

As far as I know no issues with primer bulb or fuel hose.
[/quote]

Sorry- tried to type fast - was pressed for time.

Fast idle up high for me. Press the key in on the crank until it fires. Then no more key in with the crank. Soon as it starts running drop down the FI.

Once the engine is warm there is no more pushing the prime in when cranking - could flood.

Over squeezing the bulb can cause flooding.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:27:33 PM by Rieber »

Gone_Fishin_

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 07:42:53 AM »

leave the idle lever up, as the engine begins to idle down on its own (like it's about to stall), push the key again (the engine will rev up) Every time it sounds like the high idle is falling, push the key again (push and release don't hold it in) Do this until the rpm is stable and dosnt fall.

^^^^^^^^

This is what i have to do as well, as soon as it starts to bog down and want to stall out push the key in (choke) so it gets more fuel and less air. It will pick up and bog down again push key in (choke).

Also my engine will not start in up position, as mentioned in a above post the fuel pours out into the top of the carb, when its titled it comes runs out the front and not into the carbs.

Being a 2011 i would assume the filter would still be good. Can also check your plugs and see if any are fouled.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 03:06:48 PM »

Thanks guys the tips worked great!

Took our boat out in the Fraser for the 1st time today :D Launched at Island 22, crusied down to the mouth of the Vedder, anchored up, had fun with C+R with pinks for a few hours, then cruised back to I-22. Unfortunatley have to work afternoon shift today >:(

Anyway, starting up I squeezed bulb until firm, fast idle all the way up, started cranking first with no key push (prime), then pushed in, released, pushed in again then it fired right up. Only turned over for 3-4 seconds before starting which seems fine to me. Big improvement from before where I think I was flooding the motor by turning it over with the prime held in and possibly not giving it enough fast idle. At any rate, what I did today worked well and I plan to keep doing it the same.

Anyway appreciate the tips guys seems to have solved my start up issues.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 05:10:07 PM »

Thanks guys the tips worked great!

Took our boat out in the Fraser for the 1st time today :D Launched at Island 22, crusied down to the mouth of the Vedder, anchored up, had fun with C+R with pinks for a few hours, then cruised back to I-22. Unfortunatley have to work afternoon shift today >:(

Anyway, starting up I squeezed bulb until firm, fast idle all the way up, started cranking first with no key push (prime), then pushed in, released, pushed in again then it fired right up. Only turned over for 3-4 seconds before starting which seems fine to me. Big improvement from before where I think I was flooding the motor by turning it over with the prime held in and possibly not giving it enough fast idle. At any rate, what I did today worked well and I plan to keep doing it the same.

Anyway appreciate the tips guys seems to have solved my start up issues.

As it gets colder out, you may have to give the key another push if the idle starts to drop during warm up.

Good luck out there, glad your enjoying your new ride