Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glove or no glove  (Read 10717 times)

dave c

Glove or no glove
« on: June 23, 2013, 07:29:13 PM »

I recently watched with interest a video on this link showing Air Spawning Steelhead filmed at Seymour Salmon Hatchery.  I found it interesting that the Hatchery worker used a wool glove when handling the fish.  I've read many heated discussions in this forum regarding the danger to fish handled this way.  I find it odd that if it were so dangerous to the fish that Hatchery Staff would use gloves.

zap brannigan

Re: Glove or no glove
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »

gloves are harmful, and im doubting the survival rates are very high on those fish anyhow.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:07:28 PM »

The survival rate of steelhead spawning in the wild is minimal; fish being held in a dark compartment for a few months and treated with formalin to combat fungus and bacterial diseases no doubt lowers this survival even further and...  air spawning steelhead requires a docile fish and if the fish are not sedated (and if they are to be released they cannot be sedated with anaesthetics) are very difficult to handle, hence the gloves.
IMO, air spawning steelhead is entirely for optics and a waste time and effort.  Autopsies of air spawned Chilliwack River steelhead morts invariably had 5-600 eggs remaining in the body cavity; multiply this by the number of females used and the benefit of releasing these fish is most often negated.
Time for the Province to get it's collective head around this misdirected procedure and follow standard hatchery procedures for salmonids for optimum production and that means killing the broodstock when sexually mature.

Feeding them optimum rations and proper water temperatures when being reared is helpful also ;)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:59:23 PM »

Fish are not made of sugar. It takes some force to damage their protective coat.
Wool is soft and unless you are using rubber gloves or some other hard material the fish should be ok.

zap brannigan

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »

if anything rubber would be less hamfull than wool dont know where you get that from.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 09:03:37 PM »

if anything rubber would be less hamfull than wool dont know where you get that from.

I agree,
to disagree

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 02:42:04 PM »

If I'm not mistaken the Seymour Hatchery is privately funded and run and they use different guidelines than that of say the Chedder or Chehalis hatcheries.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 04:21:19 PM »

If I'm not mistaken the Seymour Hatchery is privately funded and run and they use different guidelines than that of say the Chedder or Chehalis hatcheries.
I believe you're right about different protocols JC, and wild Seymour fish are, to my knowledge, rare indeed.  It's my understanding hatchery fish have been used for augmentation in the past, unlike the Chilliwack or Chehalis facilities.  Perhaps the question is ... should wild Seymour steelhead be used for broodstock or, be left to spawn naturally?  Tough call and I hope others with more knowledge of this system chime in.

zap brannigan

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 04:32:43 PM »

I think seymour wilds should be left wild, don't see them very often almost all the fish i've caught there are clipped.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 06:25:59 PM »

I think seymour wilds should be left wild, don't see them very often almost all the fish i've caught there are clipped.

There is a way higher survival rate of hatchery raised fish than fish surviving in the wild. There is clearly something wrong on the river if the wilds aren't making it on their own.

joshhowat

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 07:25:56 PM »

The Seymour river still has to use hatchery fish to make there quota. Also there are a lot more wild summer fish then winter fish. 

Poaching is a problem on that river in the summer. People will make pools in the lower to trap fish.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

zap brannigan

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 12:01:25 AM »

lots of guys using bait there aswell, i find lots of roe on the rocks along the banks.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 05:12:54 PM »

Fish are not made of sugar. It takes some force to damage their protective coat.
Wool is soft and unless you are using rubber gloves or some other hard material the fish should be ok.

Actually wool gloves are very hard on fish as has been stated before. You never want to handle silver bright salmon or steelhead with them as they do remove the slime and allow fungus to develop in that area. I have handled many thousands of fish over the years while running collection / spawning programs and wool gloves on silver fish is a big no no. Fish that are close to spawning is no big deal as these fish will be killed and spawned shortly and will not be alive long enough for the fungus to develop. That also applies to salmon that are released and are close to spawning.

Surgical gloves are good as they do not remove the mucus but that has to be balanced with the fact that the fish are damn near impossible to hang onto once you have your hands on them. The best way is just to use your wet hands and develop a tight grip around the wrist of the tail while placeing your other hand under the pectorals. They won't break if you do it properly!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 08:12:15 PM »

Nice post B.  The new position is looking good on you ;)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 10:34:16 PM »

Actually wool gloves are very hard on fish as has been stated before. You never want to handle silver bright salmon or steelhead with them as they do remove the slime and allow fungus to develop in that area. I have handled many thousands of fish over the years while running collection / spawning programs and wool gloves on silver fish is a big no no. Fish that are close to spawning is no big deal as these fish will be killed and spawned shortly and will not be alive long enough for the fungus to develop. That also applies to salmon that are released and are close to spawning.

Surgical gloves are good as they do not remove the mucus but that has to be balanced with the fact that the fish are damn near impossible to hang onto once you have your hands on them. The best way is just to use your wet hands and develop a tight grip around the wrist of the tail while placeing your other hand under the pectorals. They won't break if you do it properly!

Steelhead used for brood stock are NOT killed for their eggs and milt.