Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tragedy on the Cheakamus today -two fishers drowned!  (Read 10746 times)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Re: Tragedy on the Cheakamus today -two fishers drowned!
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 08:42:30 PM »

This is a terrible tragedy.  My heart goes out to the family.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

YetiHunter

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 10:49:35 AM »

Very sad story - a nice day on the water turned into a tragedy. My condolences to the family.

Fishing is one of the most dangerous sports there is and is responsible for many lost lives - it's hard to keep that in mind sometimes.

azafai

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 01:12:18 PM »

very sad!
wearing a life-jacket during guided tours should be now a mandatory requirement.

it might be not the case in this incident but still this sad story is indicating to low professionalism in the part of the guide service.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:16:24 PM by azafai »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 01:59:41 PM »

it might be not the case in this incident but still this sad story is indicating to low professionalism in the part of the guide service.

Why do you say that?
Do you know something we don't? >:(
FYI, Whistler Fly Fishing is a very well-respected guiding businesses in our region, especially among the fly fishing crowd.

You can't make someone wear a PFD if they don't want to. That's what disclaimers are for.

I do agree, however, that guiding businesses might make it mandatory for clients to use PFDs at all times on guided trips.

katfish

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »

Sad story.  This story gives you time to think about the cost/convenience of NOT buying a PFD.  Be safe.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »

Having checked out the Cheakamus a couple of times recently to be honest I don't that think if you went in the upper the PFD would be much help anyway. Hard to blame the guide if you don't know the full story.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 06:58:07 PM »

Terrible tragedy and my condolences to the families that lost loved ones. This is one of those accidents that points out how careful you have to be while fishing. One person loses their balance, the other person jumps in instinctively to save them, and both are washed downstream to their deaths. Just like that, within minutes,  an enjoyable outing turns tragic.  I can only imagine the second guessing and guilt that the guide must be feeling. Hopefully once things have settled down, a full account of what happened will be released.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »

A sad story indeed.
I guess we can never be too careful when wading in any river here in BC.
Water can be cold and swift, even in summer.

azafai

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »

Why do you say that?
Do you know something we don't? >:(
FYI, Whistler Fly Fishing is a very well-respected guiding businesses in our region, especially among the fly fishing crowd.

You can't make someone wear a PFD if they don't want to. That's what disclaimers are for.

I do agree, however, that guiding businesses might make it mandatory for clients to use PFDs at all times on guided trips.

I don't know that guiding service personally nor I have any interest in that.  all that I can say from the view point of a consumer is that I can not be sure about the quality of service here.

wearing PFD and making it mandatory in guided tours is a very good idea and a case for the authorities to think about.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:13:38 PM by azafai »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 08:55:02 PM »

azafai, you can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Why should authorities be telling anyone to wear a PFD when they are wading?
Should we now have DFO requesting everyone to get out of the Fraser if they don't have a PFD while flossing sockeye?
I don't think so.

Remember, there was no boat/raft involved in the Cheakamus drowning.
It was most likely a tragic wading accident, but this is plain stupidity, one that no authority can prevent, no matter how harsh the regs.

I feel for the guy's family, but I am not sure I feel sorry for him.
C'mon, if you know you can't swim, do you go rafting without a PFD and get drunk? Maybe at age 17, but certainly not at 54.
He should have known better. One shouldn't tempt Darwin.

Fisherama

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »

This is such a terrible accident...  I do agree that it's on the anglers to take charge of their own safety, if not for wearing a PDF then to trust your instincts and always be extra cautious on the river.  These accidents take a split second to happen and can happen so easily.  This really hits home for me as I took a plunge in the lower Cheakamus a few years ago.

I was fishing on the downstream end of a midstream bar when the gravel suddenly gave out from under me and I fell into the river.  My instinct was to turn around and try swimming back upstream to regain my footing, which of course I could not.  My brother was fishing a short distance away and, seeing the panic in my face, rushed to save me.  But he slipped in as well.  His instinct was the same as mine in trying to turn and swim upstream but I grabbed him and yelled that we should swim across the river together.  The next minute was a blur as our waders filled and we struggled to keep our heads above water, grasping for air.  All I could remember were the fisherman hopelessly casting to us from shore.  We managed to float across the river, grabbed onto a boulder and finally crawled out of the water after many slips and falls...

My brother and I often reminisce about this event.  We talk about how we both tried to keep the other afloat because neither of us wanted to be the surviving son to go home and face mom.   It was a stupid and avoidable position that I put myself in and I put my brothers life in jeopardy as well, as he would no doubt risk his life again to save mine.  If there's one positive that I could take away from that day, it's that I'm always extra careful while fishing now... 

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »

I don't know that guiding service personally nor I have any interest in that.  all that I can say from the view point of a consumer is that I can not be sure about the quality of service here.

wearing PFD and making it mandatory in guided tours is a very good idea and a case for the authorities to think about.

I know the alleged guiding service, the guides, and shop intimately.  I consider them to not only be good friends and fishing buddies, but of the utmost professionalism.  To say that they are of "low professionalism" is utterly ridiculous.  Please, research the guiding service involved before you make such statements - all it takes is somebody like yourself to ruin a previously sterling reputation.

No they dont but they instill confidence and are supposed to be professional - a professional would not place people at risk.

Well, all bodies of water pose a risk, moving waters and still waters alike.  By this logic all guides are putting their customers at risk!  But seriously - are you not aware of the inherent dangers of fishing rivers?  I have fished the Chek. numerous times, and yes it is a dangerous river, but it can quite easily be fished in a safe manner if you are cautious.  If you are unaware of the dangers of fishing a river, and consider yourself a better-than-average wader, you will take risks that can easily result in tragedy.  Simple as that.  It is the guides job to provide an experience that makes you want to come back (to put it simply) - it is a logical expectation for a guide to do so in a safe manner.  As I have said before, I know intimately the outfit allegedly involved and customers do not leave the shop, or the truck without a thorough list of requirements, one of which is to be aware of hazards and safety issues around you.

I know I'm going to come off as running to the defense of an outfit I clearly support, but I wouldn't do so unless I had complete reason to.  Not only was I educated in fly fishing from day one by this outfit, I chose, on several occasions, to travel to this store because it was, simply put, the best I had found.  Knowledgeable staff, a clear dedication to preserving the environment, and a healthy respect for the powers of Mother Nature.  To be frank, many guiding services could stand to adopt their attention to safety and the environment from which they provide for their families.

John
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:11:39 AM by JAwrey »
- John A.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 10:32:18 AM »

Very sad to hear. My condolences to their families. Im am sure the married couple were passionate anglers and loved the sport they were partaking in.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 11:49:48 AM »

Terrible tragedy and I feel sorry for the family as well as the guide who had to witness this.

Accidents do happen to intelligent, sober, upstanding people.