Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tragedy on the Cheakamus today -two fishers drowned!  (Read 10747 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Tragedy on the Cheakamus today -two fishers drowned!
« on: August 06, 2011, 11:38:43 PM »

Just heard this on the news:

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/261957--two-feared-drowned-in-whistler-s-cheakamus-river

Be careful out there.
Wear your PFDs.

My heart goes out to the families of the deceased.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: Tragedy on the Cheakamus today -two fishers drowned!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 11:41:36 PM »

oh my god...I will release the first fish I catch on the river for the men who lost their lives.

hamster

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 11:56:55 PM »

Not sure about the Rivers in Canada, but the rivers south of the border i.e.  Nooksack, skagit, snohomish, etc. have been running exceptionally high this year due to the heavy snow pack over the winter.  Another unfortunate reminder to respect natures powerful forces.

frozensalmon

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 12:55:54 AM »

omg...terrible news....
feel so bad and kinda scared to fish in big river now.
I will always keep in mind fishing could be deadly, always be carefully, prepared.
more coho, more coho... ::)

grease line

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 02:17:04 AM »

That is tragic. Always wear your lifejacket on moving water. It is hard to imagine how helpless you instantly can be if you go in without one. With one on, unless there are sweepers, you really don't have much to worry about!

MIKE1

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 08:10:15 AM »

Not sure about the Rivers in Canada, but the rivers south of the border i.e.  Nooksack, skagit, snohomish, etc. have been running exceptionally high this year due to the heavy snow pack over the winter.  Another unfortunate reminder to respect natures powerful forces.

In most areas the water is still pretty huge though its finally coming down now

Our larger river systems have lots of debris coming down as well since the water moved up so high this year it pulled more debris than normal off the shores in northern regions.

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 08:18:58 AM »

The two swept away were with a fishing guide too - what was the guide thinking?  No fish is worth giving your life up for.

Dreadful news.
Try the fly!

Dogbreath

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 08:41:19 AM »

The two swept away were with a fishing guide too - what was the guide thinking?
This terrible tragedy had nothing to do with being guided-guides don't hold people's hands as they fish-the Cheakamus above the lake is one swift moving place even in low water must be a torrent now.

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 08:46:50 AM »

No they dont but they instill confidence and are supposed to be professional - a professional would not place people at risk.
Try the fly!

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 09:04:04 AM »

Terrible tragedy.

Wear your PFD's, and also, if you do not have any swift water training and/or wearing a PFD, I would highly recommend not jumping in after the fallen victim, 99% of the time you've just doubled the problem.

TyCrane

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »

first person to fall in was probably his wife... i think most men would attempt a rescue if their wife went tumbling in the water no matter how dangerous

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »

Tragic ...it can happen so fast.

StillAqua

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 10:55:57 AM »

Guess we don't know the whole story yet but I would hope a paid guide would have provided or required appropriate safety gear like PFDs around swiftwater.

cohojoe

i fell in again this summer with out my lifejacket
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 10:58:23 AM »

ok    i  think i win the prize for the cat with nine lives.    i  fell in  again last week without my lifejacket.    my 80  year buddy and i  were returning back from checking  his crab traps in  WA.  roche  harbor.      no waves,  no wind,  no wakes,  no  problem.    just a quick  trip out and back in  30 minutes.      unfortunately  he  was backing into his  spot at the dock and  with the inc oming tide  it was a changing situation.     i   told him he was about to0  hit the dock  and  he looked back .    i  was  then pushing the bow  away  and  he thrust the motor into  forward  and  gunned it.    i was out of the boat in a blink of an eye  clutching the dock but  half of me in the ocean.     i was suprised how heavy my shoes and pants  were.   i  could not pull myself out  .   two people on the dock  helped me get out.        there was  a  dock ladder just  10  feet from me but  it might has well been  100  feet.     i  had tunnel vision  under that  stressfull   situation.    

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 01:16:25 PM »

Sad story, I think people should consider wearing an inflatable PFD I use a mustang fishing vest with co2 cartridge you can also get a small vest by mustang that inflates, I think its worth the money if your wading any time. I spend a fair amount of time out in the ocean for work and if we are doing any work on the upper decks we always wear Hazardous duty life jackets, we also have survival floater jackets 

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreational/fishing