Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the average daily # of hatchery steelhead bonked in the last week or two  (Read 10926 times)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release

this question is a hard question to answer.
for 1 if the river is completly blown no fish or only a couple will be caught.
for 2 after a blowout there is many,many fish bonked.
and on weekdays there is less fish retained as people are working, when on weekends there is more
but latlet the river has been fishing good and been really busy im guessing about 30 a day this week.
the freds site gives you a general idea of how many are bonked by averging how many fish have been kept and weighed in there.Personal i release most of my steelies unless its at the very end of the day. so far this season i have only kept 2 but released 7 hatcheries and many wilds. :)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

4x4

Maybe 30 a day this week just because there seems to be good numbers of steelhead year so far this year but I personally don't think it's even 30.

How many Steelhead enter the Vedder between Dec 15 and April 15th? 3500 -5000? What's the ratio between hatchery and wild? That number seems to high to me even on a peak two week time frame.

Lumps

you have to take the number of fishing steely days (45) times that by the length of your rod 10.6, if you use a pin you subtract 2.5, then you average in the price of diesel to get to the river to the 10th degree. That number which is 27.5467 now gets added to the average temp of June and than you get your number which is a variable of what you use the most of, roe or pink worms. I come up with 25, it's scientifically proven. ;)
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

you have to take the number of fishing steely days (45) times that by the length of your rod 10.6, if you use a pin you subtract 2.5, then you average in the price of diesel to get to the river to the 10th degree. That number which is 27.5467 now gets added to the average temp of June and than you get your number which is a variable of what you use the most of, roe or pink worms. I come up with 25, it's scientifically proven. ;)

yah but don't you have to factor in the success rate being higher if you're a canuck fan versus a significant drop if you're a maple grief fan? and even more so if you shamelessly wear their colour?  ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

yah but don't you have to factor in the success rate being higher if you're a canuck fan versus a significant drop if you're a maple grief fan? and even more so if you shamelessly wear their colour?  ::)

;D ;D

Lumps

I believe that's how  you factor the amount of bucks to does caught!
Best 4 wheel drive I ever had was a company 2 wheel drive.

azafai

so, now
what was the estimated return for last year, hatch as well as wild, and what are the prediction for this years total??
does anyone knows about those??

Dave

• Old Timer

so, now
what was the estimated return for last year, hatch as well as wild, and what are the prediction for this years total??
does anyone knows about those??

There was no estimated return last year and there is no prediction for this years return and that's because there is no steelhead stock assessment done on this system ::)

Every Day

• Old Timer

There was no estimated return last year and there is no prediction for this years return and that's because there is no steelhead stock assessment done on this system ::)

The way it is with most if not all systems now...
All people seem to care about is sockeye, coho and springs. Or other fish with monetary value  :-\

Dave

• Old Timer

The way it is with most if not all systems now...
All people seem to care about is sockeye, coho and springs. Or other fish with monetary value  :-\
You’re right Dan but I suspect the monetary value of Vedder steelhead is considerable.  The province, and especially the city of Chilliwack does quite well by these fish.  Think of the tax dollars collected on the fuel used, tackle purchased, license fees, food, etc.  Then factor in all the tackle shops, restaurants, guides, gas stations, etc.
Consider also the province does not contribute $.01 of the roughly $100,000.00 necessary to produce the hatchery steelhead that attract the crowds that make the money collected by the province.
Sadly, virtually none of this revenue goes back to steelhead management; essential data like enumerations.

bigblue

• Old Timer

You’re right Dan but I suspect the monetary value of Vedder steelhead is considerable.  The province, and especially the city of Chilliwack does quite well by these fish.  Think of the tax dollars collected on the fuel used, tackle purchased, license fees, food, etc.  Then factor in all the tackle shops, restaurants, guides, gas stations, etc.
Consider also the province does not contribute $.01 of the roughly $100,000.00 necessary to produce the hatchery steelhead that attract the crowds that make the money collected by the province.
Sadly, virtually none of this revenue goes back to steelhead management; essential data like enumerations.

I am kind of curious.
If province is not paying for Chilliwack hatchery's cost of steelhead, then who is footing the bill?
Someone must be paying for it.
Because as far as I know, pacific salmon is handled by the federal government and steelhead is under provincial government control.
Chillwack is the only large scale steelhead hatchery program in the lower mainland and is very successful.
Who then decides they get one and other hatcheries in the lower mainland don't?
Or is the federal government, via DFO, selectively helping out the steelhead fishery in the lower mainland?

buck

Bigblue

DFO is footing the bill for steelhead production on the Chilliwack/Vedder. Gofish BC truck juveniles off site in the spring and release them downstream of the crossing.

azafai

There is definitely a lot need to be done for Steelhead management/enhancement in lower mainland as well as throughout BC.
Only that one hatchery in C/V river is not enough.  
For the kind of angler attention that C/V river is receiving what they are doing just from that hatchery is by no means enough.

And what about other streams like Capilano, Seymor, Chehalis, Satve, Cheakamus, Squmish etc…??

The feeding rivers in great leaks in east coast areas are producing far more steelhead (hatch & wild) and are not comparable in this regard to BC rivers.

Who is responsible for this??

bigblue

• Old Timer

DFO is footing the bill for steelhead production on the Chilliwack/Vedder. Gofish BC truck juveniles off site in the spring and release them downstream of the crossing.

Considering the fact that steelhead stamp at $28+ HST is the most expensive stamp on my license, it is a shame that provincial government is not doing their part after selling the stamp to the anglers. I guess this money goes to the provincial government coffers? I am grateful to the federal government for stepping in and filling in some of the void. I know that the Capilano hatchery operated by the DFO is releasing around 15,000 steelhead smolts a year and I guess this is also paid by the federal government. We all have to thank the DFO for whatever steelhead fishing we have here in the lower mainland.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

http://www.gofishbc.com/whofunded.htm

And no, Chilliwack River is not the only river that has a hatchery steelhead program.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 06:30:35 PM by Rodney »