Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Baitcast Reels?  (Read 10712 times)

joska

• Old Timer
Re: Best Baitcast Reels?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 07:25:31 AM »

i have a Quantum E760PT and it has a gear ratio of 6.3:1 i can to burn a spinnerbait through the reeds, but also i can slow it down enough to drag a bait on the bottom when the bite gets tough. never thought of using it on a stream  but for the pinks in the lower Fraser this thread has got me thinking. i have many abu garcia's and enjoy them greatly but with the new center-pin i canceled out the Calais on the have to have list... it is is a nice reel don't get me wrong, but the new Caenan has caught my eye with a gear ratio of 6.5:1 and a line capacity of Mono 8/180, 10/155, 14/110 Power Pro 30/190, 50/120, 65/80 i feel that i can put this reel to some heavy use this summer and still have funds for gear needed... take it easy...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Nitroholic

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 09:00:38 AM »

i have a Quantum E760PT and it has a gear ratio of 6.3:1 i can to burn a spinnerbait through the reeds, but also i can slow it down enough to drag a bait on the bottom when the bite gets tough. never thought of using it on a stream  but for the pinks in the lower Fraser this thread has got me thinking. i have many abu garcia's and enjoy them greatly but with the new center-pin i canceled out the Calais on the have to have list... it is is a nice reel don't get me wrong, but the new Caenan has caught my eye with a gear ratio of 6.5:1 and a line capacity of Mono 8/180, 10/155, 14/110 Power Pro 30/190, 50/120, 65/80 i feel that i can put this reel to some heavy use this summer and still have funds for gear needed... take it easy...

Forget the caenan and move up to an e7 curado. They can be had for 135 USD online and it will be worth it over the caenan.

the carp

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »

Being old school,i use my ambassadeurs, my favorite being my old black 6000c,of which i have 4, for fun sometimes i use my 5000d direct drive, but that being said i have a daiwa luna which i use on the Thompson and Fraser, for long casts and silky smooth drag i don't think it can be beat. I think a person should try different reels and use the one they feel most comfy with.

fish fishburn

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 04:22:09 AM »

The new E series Curado is a wicked piece of kit.  The SF are awesome as well.  If your hard on your gear like me, Curado's will not let you down.  I still have a few of the old green ones that have to be close to 15 yrs old and I still use them and they have never given me any problems.  If you have a few extra bucks to spend go for the Chronarch, they still amaze me how silky smooth they are.  The Shimano Core is suppose to be really nice as well.  I have never used one yet but a few buddies who have them say they would never buy another one as they think the Chronarch is a nicer reel.  The great thing about Shimano is parts and service is readily available pretty well everywhere.  I have started playing around with some phleuger reels and they seem to be really good for the money and well made.  Most come with an extra spool which is nice.  They haven't disappointed me yet and I will be buying a couple of their baitcaster reels this summer.  So far I have only used their spinning gear but I am impressed so far.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »

I am still looking for a low profile reel to go with my 8-12lb casting rod.
From practical point, how does Curado compare with the more higher end models in the Shimano lineup like Calais and others?
Also, anyone tried any of the Daiwa low profiles?
My personal reference is the Luna 253L.

standalone

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 02:43:07 PM »

I have an Abu revo premier 2010 and like it.