Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Baitcast Reels?  (Read 10711 times)

penn

Re: Best Baitcast Reels?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 05:05:43 AM »

I use a Calcutta 400 as an all purpose reel after using Abu's for many years . I would definately go with a Calcutta over an Abu if you can afford it. I found I was constantly having to change the pall on the Abu's . Calcutta is far more durable and nicer to use.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 06:55:27 AM »

I picked up a brand new Calais for a gift to myself .....Love it !!!

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 11:48:29 AM »

Lucky you! An early Christmas for you!  ;D ;D ;D

Silex-user

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 09:09:32 AM »

Yeah, I really like my old 35 years or more ABU Ambassaduer 6000C, 5000C and 4500C baitcaster reels. They heavy but build solid and strong. I guess I am old fashion fisherman.

Silex-user.

penguinabc123

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 05:14:50 PM »

im using an abu garcia kalex 61 and its been doing great

n8

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 05:31:14 PM »

you hear that Nitro?!?!!? He picked up a Calais and he LOVES IT! (hint hint...)

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 08:30:58 PM »

--have and use an old DAM late 60's at the time sold by woodwards and cost less than the ABU.
--I recall ABU users turning their backs in disgust as apparently even in the good old days there were certain sections of river that were reserved for the elite anglers. 

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 08:42:08 PM »

I think the best reel/dollar spent has got to be the Abu Record.  Tighter than the C3 and C4 drivetrains, much lighter in hand and shorter handles than than the Luna.  Very simple internally which is a huge plus in my books.  My only complain is that the casting brake seems more sensitive to water than some other reels I've fished and it doesn't cast well after being submersed.

brysonk

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 05:38:14 PM »

I think the best reel/dollar spent has got to be the Abu Record.  Tighter than the C3 and C4 drivetrains, much lighter in hand and shorter handles than than the Luna.  Very simple internally which is a huge plus in my books.  My only complain is that the casting brake seems more sensitive to water than some other reels I've fished and it doesn't cast well after being submersed.

I second this, the good part anyway. I have a 61hc and love it, a pleasure to fish with. I haven't had any problems with the brake or casting when wet probably because I usually don't drop my reel in the water  :-\

Ken D

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 02:00:12 PM »

Hey guys, just looking to get a new baitcast and I was wondering what reel I should get??
Thanks in advance,
-Fishing2474life

Hi there !  As put, the question is not an easy one to answer. Most of the variables have been already covered by the posters in the thread.

I'll just go over a few of them as a 'refresher'. In priority order.

-Specie of fish targetted, and where. (eg: trolling for kokanee, or casting for chum)

-Frequency of trips to the water. (casual usage, or a super-keener)

-Cash available for reel of choice. Example: A calcutta 400 is about 3 times the cost of a 6500C3.

-Level of fishing expertise. (with respect: many folks fish pretty hard, and over-tax the gear)

-Level of comfort in the DIY universe. (Wanna fix your own?)

-Your location compared to parts/repair sources.

-Pride of ownership.

Once you have your search narrowed down in your thoughts, I strongly suggest you visit the sites where the technical drawings live.  Daiwa for Daiwa, Shimano for Shimano, and Purefishing for Abu.  Take a look at the drawings, and note part numbers for common repair items:
line pawls, handles, worms, etc. Then check for replacement cost, because you will be needing them down the road. 

Best of luck in your search for that perfect reel !!!!  Good fishing, Ken.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 05:44:42 PM »

I love my Calcutta 250.
Picked up on ebay many years ago and havent had one problem with it.
It hasnt been fished much lately but that reel seen a lot of use for about 8 years.
If i fished the Chilliwack more then i would probably get the 400.
Havent tried the Calais or other newer types but have owne Abu,s and they dont rate compared to the Calcutta imo.

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 12:43:23 PM »

Calcutta 400TE.
Upgrade to the ceramic drag system and your good to go.
Although pricey,they are a sweet ride.
The Fishin Musician

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 04:37:56 AM »

curado 300E, 240 yards of 12lb is plenty of line capacity in a low pro 'bass' reel.
Fish killer 101

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 09:09:59 AM »

luna 300 and love it.

Max headroom

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 04:28:39 AM »

I agree with YG, the low profile reels are probably better suited for Steelhead and have plenty of line capacity and are much more comfortable to fish. From Shimano you can get a top end Calais, which is the Ferrari of baitcasters, next up would be a Chronarch which is still a high end reel for about $350, or go budget and get a Curado, another fanatastic reel.
Casting distance with these low profile reels is untouchable, especially when using just a light spinner or spoon for coho or steelhead.
With these low profile Shimanos you get the "super free" system which allows you to quickly adjust the amount of casting drag to suit the technique you are using, when I adjust my Chronarch to no casting drag at all, I can side arm pitch a 3/8 oz spinner clear across the Thompson nearly emptying the spool. With my old school Calcutta 400's I can basically not fish anything under 1/2 oz as it doesn't cast well at all.

My 2 cents