Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Effective Alternative to Bottom Bouncing and Bar Fishing?  (Read 10676 times)

eddy

• Sea Lice? What Sea Lice?
Re: Effective Alternative to Bottom Bouncing and Bar Fishing?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 08:12:51 AM »

And to reach these creek-mouth hot spots you need a boat, now that DFO has closed the river above Agassiz. >:(
If you don't have a boat, you are screwed.

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 10:21:41 PM »

lot of good information from everyone; I really enjoy reading.  I just hope that I haven't hit on a really touchy subject here; I'm just simply curious to know.
My main concern is when the DFO says don't bottom bounce in order to conserve sockeye, then what should one do instead?  I don't like bar fishing and I don't like fly fishing.  I'm not into finesse, otherwise I would become a wedding dress maker, and I'm not into sitting and waiting for hours and just drinking beer to pass time.  :D  I really enjoy the active fishing of bottom bouncing, but I never realized it was "unethical" either.  I just always saw everyone doing it and I thought it's the only way to catch fish!  ???
Oh, ya, and I don't have a boat, so the creek mouth might be hard to reach for me!
If the methods that have been suggested here already, are the only possible methods, is it safe for me to assume that I can only catch springs using bottom bouncing? (assuming I'm on foot, and I don't like bar fishing)

Is it possible to float fish with roe for jack springs?

Thx.
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 10:29:01 PM »

I don't see why it wouldn't work but the river is quite murky for this time of year.  Wait till the Pinks arrive and you can target them with many methods because there should be lots of them and they are eager biters.

SpringMaster

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 04:06:02 PM »

now I'm just really curious to know: where do people who do not like bb fish for springs? and what method do they use for that?
Thx
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

colin6101

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 08:38:55 PM »

As mentioned previously there a few different ways to do it if you have access to a boat (back trolling, and trolling spoons at creek mouths), personally I only have my kayak so I usually just spincast from shore with spoons but only really have success with Jack Springs. Bar fishing is by far the most popular way of catching springs without a boat besides bbing. There are still some accessible bars open right now but a lot of the most popular ones are closed at the moment (above Agassiz bridge). When barfishing is slow with spin and glows you can add roe to it and you tend to catch more jack springs, and I have also caught sturgeon on that setup which is always fun.

SpringMaster

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 09:38:46 PM »

Thank you for good information colin.
I think I have to look into getting a boat next year :)

Are there still any Springs or jacks in the Fraser?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 09:47:12 PM »

Thank you for good information colin.
I think I have to look into getting a boat next year :)

Are there still any Springs or jacks in the Fraser?
The river is full of them and will get better over he next few weeks.

SpringMaster

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 12:06:47 AM »

where is a good place to bar fish - for a novice like me - so that I don't get tangled with others?  Just so that there is enough room for me to play a bit and get hang of it? ???

Gaffer

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 10:32:38 AM »

Pick up a fly rod and start fishing for capilano coho. Land one from cable pool and you're a better fisherman than 95% of the people on this forum :)
Nice shot ! So you'd be including yourself in the 95% Right Mr. Perfect?

jon5hill

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »

Nice shot ! So you'd be including yourself in the 95% Right Mr. Perfect?

As of lastnight, I am! lol

But seriously, scroll up and read my last post. Then read Rod's afterwards ;)

rides bike to work

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 09:35:14 PM »

Ive gone out with guides that wouldnt let us bottom bounce but let us float fish with roe it was actually very effective we caught many jack springs and a couple in the teens.I personally dont feel bad about bottom bouncing. Its not illegal .I dont have a boat so my shore fishing options are limited.I only get out a few times a year and I find the most effective way to bring home a couple of fish to feed my family is bottom bouncing.

SpringMaster

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 09:15:23 AM »

Ive gone out with guides that wouldnt let us bottom bounce but let us float fish with roe it was actually very effective we caught many jack springs and a couple in the teens.I personally dont feel bad about bottom bouncing. Its not illegal .I dont have a boat so my shore fishing options are limited.I only get out a few times a year and I find the most effective way to bring home a couple of fish to feed my family is bottom bouncing.

Ok; this is interesting to know. 
When you float fished for jack springs, was it in creek mouth or just on the river somewhere? 
Did you need a lot of weight to hold the line down (Fraser has strong current)?
Was the tackle set up similar to float fishing in Vedder or different set up?

Thanks

rides bike to work

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »

just like fishing the vedder  a dink float, pencil lead,swivel,leader and a hook with row.We fished normal large water  and caught fish in water only 5 or 6 ft deep.just adjust your float  so your about a foot above the bottom.

SpringMaster

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 08:19:26 AM »

just like fishing the vedder  a dink float, pencil lead,swivel,leader and a hook with row.We fished normal large water  and caught fish in water only 5 or 6 ft deep.just adjust your float  so your about a foot above the bottom.

Thanks for the tip.  I'm goning to try this method next season on upper Fraser.

mikeH

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 12:47:19 PM »

I have a question the sockeye being closed to us,is it the same for the natives?if not then whats the point?I think its a double standard that needs to be changed if you want fish numbers to be high.I think we have to work together.