Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Effective Alternative to Bottom Bouncing and Bar Fishing?  (Read 10676 times)

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
Effective Alternative to Bottom Bouncing and Bar Fishing?
« on: August 17, 2009, 10:49:49 PM »

I'm quite novice to fishing, and the only thing I learned to do on Fraser for fishing for salmon (mainly springs) is to do bottom bouncing; I'm not even quite sure if I do that correctly either  ???

Anyways, I was wondering is some you more seasoned fishermen/women could tell me what is an other alternative to bottom bouncing and bar fishing to target only the Springs on the Fraser?  I'm more curious about this now that the DFO has put a restriction on BB'ing to save Sockeyes. 

I really want to help Sockeyes survive and repopulate so that we can do some sockeye fishing in the future.  I have done my part by letting each sockeye off my hook as quickly and as gently as possible even if I had to cut my line off to do this.  I've noticed some other fishermen are so keen to save their 10Cents hooks that poor fish just floats away; and I've run to one of these guys and cut his line off before I see another fish get victimized!  Luckily he was understanding enough that no friction took place, but I was really concerned about the fish.  :'(

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Cheers!

<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

Youngin

• Old Timer
Re: Effective Alternative to Bottom Bouncing and Bar Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 03:12:50 AM »

Easy.. You could fish with a float :)
Instead of the leader flossing a fish (as it happens with bottom bouncing), you get the fish to actually go for your bait by float fishing.
You use a shorter leader and adjust the depth to the right level and you're set!

jon5hill

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 09:57:23 AM »

Pick up a fly rod and start fishing for capilano coho. Land one from cable pool and you're a better fisherman than 95% of the people on this forum :)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 10:11:55 AM »

Pick up a fly rod and start fishing for capilano coho. Land one from cable pool and you're a better fisherman than 95% of the people on this forum :)

Jon5hill, Just so we know are you in the 95% or the exclusive 5% club?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 03:38:42 PM »

Jon5hill, Just so we know are you in the 95% or the exclusive 5% club?

I'm guessing the 5%, my hero. ::)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:41:42 PM by dereke »
always a student

colin6101

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 04:22:28 PM »

Another way to get springs is to chuck spoons and spinners into slower moving channels on the fraser (also works in the Stave,Vedder, Harrison and Chehalis when they are in there). Float fishing these other rivers is also extremely popular. To increase your chances on the fraser look for areas where streams enter the river and you can often find springs passing by to clean out their gills.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »

Ha ha yes, good luck with that!

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »

If you actually want to get a springer on the Fraser you most likely will be bottom bouncing or bar fishing. Float fishing the Fraser? haha good luck buddy, everyone seems to think that bottom bouncers don't know how to fish but most I know are out there float fishing on every other river because that is the best way to target the fish, Fraser in my opinion is BB, plain and simple. With so much water to cover, most other methods will just waste your time.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:05:02 PM »

If you actually want to get a springer on the Fraser you most likely will be bottom bouncing or bar fishing. Float fishing the Fraser? haha good luck buddy, everyone seems to think that bottom bouncers don't know how to fish but most I know are out there float fishing on every other river because that is the best way to target the fish, Fraser in my opinion is BB, plain and simple. With so much water to cover, most other methods will just waste your time.

float fishing-for those that can read the water-is both easy and quite effective.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:10:04 PM by Admin »

Scott

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 09:55:58 PM »

Not with less than 12 inches vis imo. 

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 10:28:30 PM »

float fishing-for those that can read the water-is both easy and quite effective.

sam just curious but when was the last time you took a spring float fishing the fraser, or anyone that you know for that matter?

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 10:32:51 PM »

I think Chris Gadsen fishes them this way in addition to bar fishing.

jon5hill

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 10:42:30 PM »

No I've never got one from the pool, but I have spent a lot of hours fishing there in the past 2 weeks and have only seen 1 person who can consistently pull them in. I've got lots of the smaller ones, biggest being about 11 inches.. but no good sized coho yet. My point was meant as an alternative to bottom bouncing, and i figured by the tone of the post it would be recognized that i dislike bottom bouncing and find it unethical and not what i would define to be fishing. The polar opposite would be the finesse and skill necessary to fish the cable pool properly as it's literally fill with fish yet so few are capable of hooking them consistently. I had no intent of sounding pretentious, rather I was pointing out how stupid bouncing betties are to begin with.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 10:53:23 PM »

No I've never got one from the pool, but I have spent a lot of hours fishing there in the past 2 weeks and have only seen 1 person who can consistently pull them in. I've got lots of the smaller ones, biggest being about 11 inches.. but no good sized coho yet. My point was meant as an alternative to bottom bouncing, and i figured by the tone of the post it would be recognized that i dislike bottom bouncing and find it unethical and not what i would define to be fishing. The polar opposite would be the finesse and skill necessary to fish the cable pool properly as it's literally fill with fish yet so few are capable of hooking them consistently. I had no intent of sounding pretentious, rather I was pointing out how stupid bouncing betties are to begin with.

I hear you on these thoughts but an effort to not seem like a pompous fisherman goes along way when trying to get a point across. Telling someone how wrong they are is not the way to try and change the way they do things but offering good alternatives is...good on you for caring though.

cheers
Derek
always a student

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 01:09:03 AM »

Let's not derail from the main subject by getting into the same debate again please, or we'll clean the thread up to keep it going.

Barfishing can be quite slow, but for this time of the year, tie some roe onto the hook below the spin n glow and you might consistently get bites from jack springs because they are quite abundant during this time of the year.

Float fishing for chinook salmon on the Fraser River is typically done at creek mouths where water clarity is better.