Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cultus Lake  (Read 10751 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: Cultus Lake
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 01:23:08 PM »

Like i said before you go after the Sqaw fish and I will go after the trout ,sounds great,and how do they taste? No wait, i dont want to know!

I am actually inclined to go after anything as long as it's there, legal and fun.  Personally I could care less whether it's a trout/bass/salmon or squawfish - whats the deal with particular species anyway?

As for eating them - I give most fresh water species a miss unless the water is really clean.  My wife pretty well refuses to have anything to do with cooking fish I get out of rivers or lakes.

Thanks again Rodney for the info about bull trout in May/June - I will just have to keep an eye on the water clarity. 

apollo

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 06:56:58 PM »

Thanks for the info Rod. I really don't care what I catch or if I catch anything as long as i have some fun out there. As for killing the pike minnow I have a very hard time killing fish I am not going to eat (leave that to the pro's). Anyway I think fishing of any kind is fun.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 01:29:54 PM »

Fresh Hatch Steel out of the cold waters of our great west coast rivers,you dont know what your missing bro,my whole family is as excited as Xmass when i bring one home for the table!
Good for you! I think I do know what I am missing and I do envy you truly.  I would love to catch a steelhead as much as anyone else  - all I am suggesting is that doesn't have to be the ONLY thing one goes after.  We do have fantastic rivers and streams here its just that time is a limiting factor for me.  Never caught  a steelhead but, from what I have read on this site, most people come back empty handed - I'm sure it's worth it but it takes effort and commitment and time which I don't have in abundance. 

The so called "undesireable" species are available right in my backyard and I can get to them easily with minimal expense or time.   I consider myself to be a "bad" fisherman limited to a few hours most weekends so I make do with catching these fish.  In the middle of summer I can just take a 15 minute drive down to the Fraser and be reasonably sure of hookups a great sunset and a thoroughly pleasant time.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 07:08:06 PM »

Well my friend steel is what it is all about for me ,i now understand your situation,and should take into account not everyone lives 5 mins away from the flow,this does not make you a bad fisherman just a practical one,i apolgise for getting a little carried away over the pike  minnows,its just, ive never heard of people targeting them before,to me they've always been a nuisance when ive been trying to catch salmon,trout or steel! Take care.
Trust me I am a bad fisherman :)  ...but I enjoy trying.  Five minutes away from the flow ?  That sounds too good to be true, must be amazing to get on the river so easily.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 05:45:46 PM »

That is the beauty of the cultural diversity we find in Canada. Different cutlures appreciate different things, and this also goes with fish species and meat texture preferrences. For example, Asians like smooth, soft, oily texture meat or fish like Rock/Ling cods, snapper, soles/flounders. Some learn to appreciate salmon but they do not like drier, stronger or flaky texture meat, nor fish meat with a strong flavour like salmon does. But they may like salmon as sashimi/sushi but not bbq. In chicken, for example, most Asians like the dark meat, even the gut but not the white meat (for the same reason in texture preference). They are used to bony fish such as carp, perch, cat fish or even the infamous snake head (which is a very pricey fish considered with medicinal value in its meat). So there will be no surprise if they like Pikeminnow. There are of course exceptions in every case, and that is why we see Asians going after salmon.

When I was in university in the states, a fellow student from continental USA told me they don't eat any chicken wings and was abhored to see us eating that. Go figure. I should have found out exactly where he was from and went there to pick up all these throw-aways from chicken farms and make a killing in profit in the Asian markets.  ;D

In this age and open society, it is best we keep an open mind and learn to appreciate or at least show respect for cultural preferences.  :) With shows like Fear Factor, what else is off limit as far as eating goes.  :D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 08:45:53 PM »

The Pike Minnow is one of the very few fish that have a self defense mechanism built into them, that would make fishermen aware of this fatal defense linedance in their trouser droppings, when seeing a Pikey being consumed. The wrong bone if left in can constrict your lower bowel. :-X Basically killing off people who eat them, which is why so few people eat them.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 01:16:48 PM »

That is the beauty of the cultural diversity we find in Canada. Different cutlures appreciate different things, and this also goes with fish species and meat texture preferrences. For example, Asians like smooth, soft, oily texture meat or fish like Rock/Ling cods, snapper, soles/flounders. Some learn to appreciate salmon but they do not like drier, stronger or flaky texture meat, nor fish meat with a strong flavour like salmon does. But they may like salmon as sashimi/sushi but not bbq. In chicken, for example, most Asians like the dark meat, even the gut but not the white meat (for the same reason in texture preference). They are used to bony fish such as carp, perch, cat fish or even the infamous snake head (which is a very pricey fish considered with medicinal value in its meat). So there will be no surprise if they like Pikeminnow. There are of course exceptions in every case, and that is why we see Asians going after salmon.

When I was in university in the states, a fellow student from continental USA told me they don't eat any chicken wings and was abhored to see us eating that. Go figure. I should have found out exactly where he was from and went there to pick up all these throw-aways from chicken farms and make a killing in profit in the Asian markets.  ;D

In this age and open society, it is best we keep an open mind and learn to appreciate or at least show respect for cultural preferences.  :) With shows like Fear Factor, what else is off limit as far as eating goes.  :D

I definitely agree with this view but I think tast is also a matter of what we are willing to accept.

I for one never really appreciated stonger tasting fish like Mackerel or Sardines - not that I disliked them but just didn't have it very often.  Ever since  I married my Japanese wife they have become my favorites just because she cooks those a lot and I have developed a taste for them.  I have actually come to prefer these kinds of fish to many other species.  Also not sure which Asian culture you are talking about Steelhawk - I have found pretty much anything goes in Japan.  (Maybe China or Korea is different with regard to specific likes or dislikes with regard to fish products)

Pre-concieved ideas about what is good and what is not means that we miss out on a lot of really great seafood. (Mind you, I take the point about the pike minnows.  I am not too keen on fish out of potentially polluted waters or the very bony ones that stick in one's craw.  Short of that anything is fair game to me).

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 04:56:52 PM »

The Pike Minnow is one of the very few fish that have a self defense mechanism built into them, that would make fishermen aware of this fatal defense linedance in their trouser droppings, when seeing a Pikey being consumed. The wrong bone if left in can constrict your lower bowel. :-X Basically killing off people who eat them, which is why so few people eat them.

'Killing people'? Some serious concern. Really? So how many people died on record for eating this yaki fish?  ;D  We should hold DFO accountable for not warning people about the danger of eating this thing.  ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 08:50:14 PM »

It's BCs ugly boney skeleton in the closet..  no kaki no eat Yaki or Pikeminnow
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fraserking

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 08:39:39 PM »

Hey Apollo,
Have enjoyed many a sunny afternoon up at Cultus this time of the year, nice and quiet for sure. We've done well just trolling a grizzly king or Carey fly behind some 6 lb mono on a spinning rod. We've just headed to the far shore away from it all, then just enjoyed.
Have fun friend.

apollo

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 09:53:43 PM »

Thanks Fraserking.

fish tracker

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 09:11:12 PM »

Theres a fathers day pike minnow derby put on by the salmon foundation every year some of the fishermen kill over 100 each in one day.This must be legal if their doing it right?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 09:29:05 PM »

Theres a fathers day pike minnow derby put on by the salmon foundation every year some of the fishermen kill over 100 each in one day.This must be legal if their doing it right?

The annual Greg Clark Memorial (pikeminnow) Fishing Derby is organized by the Fraser Valley Salmon Society. The event has a partnership with Fisheries and Oceans Canada (Cultus Lake sockeye recovery program), which collects northern pikeminnow caught for study purpose. It's a monitored cull, one of the several initiatives planned out by the recovery project, which can be found in the link provided earlier in the thread.

http://www-sci.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/mehsd/projects/cultus_sockeye_e.htm