Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: C&R'n the sockeye  (Read 10894 times)

nosey

Re: C&R'n the sockeye
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 03:26:15 PM »

What they are doing is not illegal they would have no problem with getting their picture taken they are proud to be snaggers the only way I can think of to curtail it is go in at night and anchor about 600 ft' of 1 inch rope parallel to the shore about 100 ft out of wading range. About a 400 lb. rock as the upstream anchor with 200 pounders every 50 ft or so along the rope should beat even the strongest fireline. This is just humour of course.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 03:31:36 PM »

Damn I did not know confronting a group of snaggers on the river and call it what it is can be so hazardous! :o

Perhaps this is needed.

I guess due to the safety concern, an ambitious individual feels it is much more effective to tell snaggers it is what it is on the world wide web to minimize the chances of going for a swim! In return, snaggers have no problem singling out ethical fanatics and make sure their fishing ways are not disrupted. :o

I will continue to sit idly like apparently I have in the last few years. In fact, this is rather entertaining to see grown men displaying their low mental age in public by being buddy buddy to each other the rest of the year, and kick each other in the groin or stab each other in the back in July and August. Like I said in another post, some psych grad student should really do up a thesis paper on this phenomenon.

For those who missed it...

AN INTERNET DISCUSSION FORUM IS NOT WHERE CHANGES IN REGULATIONS ARE MADE!!! QUIT WASTING MY BLOODY TIME BY POSTING REPETITIVE USELESS ARGUMENTS THAT I HAVE TO READ, PROCESS, EDIT, AND DELETE.

I DID NOT START A WEBSITE FOR ME OR OTHERS TO VOICE MY STAND.

Please enjoy your stay. :-*

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 04:24:36 PM »

Nosey, do you want to make a difference and actually do something about it?

If you are as concerned about the sockeye as you say you are, why not go to DFO and get them to make Springs on the Fraser non-retention?  That would take the majority of the BB's (or Snaggers as you like to call them) off the river since they are all meat fishermen anyways.  You being a person fishing for "Sport" would not have any objection to this would you?  You could still Bar fish on the Fraser and have the satisfaction of releasing a nice chinook or two since you do realize that chinook populations are declining as well.

nosey

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 04:34:41 PM »

Flat out honestly, I'm not big into c&ring springs either, when I catch a spring I go home and when I fill out my card I quit going fishing. BTW Rodney don't hold back, let us know how you realy feel.  :)

buck

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 04:44:04 PM »

Nosey --- changers are coming and the snaggers will be upset.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 04:53:12 PM »

Yep, get the changes done through proper channels, instead of wasting time bickering in here. That advice goes to both sides.

nosey

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 05:22:04 PM »

And although I know an internet discussion forum is not a place where changes in regulations are made it is a place where opinions are formed and  even in some cases changed, there are a lot of new fishermen out there ( by new I mean since 1996) that don't even realise that angling is about getting fish to bite and a surprising amount of them that still believe that flossed fish actually do bite. They also do not realise how fragile the sockeye are ore how high a mortality rate they have when caught and released. When they come to a site like this they do realise that there are ethical questions regarding their methods of fishing, they can actually become better informed by reading this garbage, they are sure not going to learn this stuff standing on the scale bar flossing in a line of other bottom bouncers. I apologize if you think I'm a coward for not going over to the scale bar and calling everyone a bunch of snaggers, but there have been 2 stabbings there and numerous fist fights and that was just amounst themselves I do not believe it would be a prudent thing to do. People are also not going to learn the ethical considerations of snagging by reading the regulations or speaking to the owners of the sporting goods shops that make their living selling them bouncing betties. Internet forums reach the biggest amount of new fishers of any method and although laws cannot be changed here attitudes can be. And obviously without people being informed  fully as to the ethical considerations their attitudes will not be changed and without changing attitudes and opinions the laws will not be changed. I'm not totally innocent here, I used to bottom bounce for springs and I quit, came over to the light so to speak mainly because of a friend of mine who's a guide in Chilliwack made me give my head a rattle, I figured if he's passing up $500.00 days cause he won't bb then maybe I should have a better look at the issue. Actually the only place new fishermen can get full opinions of both sides of the story is on the internet and I do realise that hard core flossers will not be swayed but there are lots of people that may change their minds by becoming fully informed on all the issues. So Rodney I do understand your frustration with whats going on but I don't agree with you completely on the use of internet forums as I think they can make a difference in the forming of peoples opinions and the education of new fishermen on ethical issues and I'm still pretty sure that you were out of line with the WAH WAH WAH thing as I was by suggesting you were testicularly challenged.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 05:28:35 PM »

I tottaly agree with rodney big controbution we all make on saving the damn sockeye through crying on this site. As for the virtual "BIG GUNS" yes please go tell people that they are snagging and should stop now HAH! come on now people either do something about it or sit on the fence and hate on each other when we are the least of the sox problems right now. None of this is ever going to stop in my opinion the people that can actually stop this just dont seem to care enough salmon just magicly come back every year in big numbers right ???
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 05:39:56 PM by Rodney »
[

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 05:47:12 PM »

Wow, this kind of blows me away.... I agree that I am sick of all the snagger and flossing threads as well but this is a first for me...I would REALLY like to see some guys take action into their own hands and am glad someone finally said go over and do something about it!!! I've tried to in the past and have been deleted for saying it. Nosey, I completely understand your position...Its not a game for you and the possibility of your getting hurt is real.... I would like to see a few "clean ups" set up where we have all the same guys show up but go "Clean up" a few individuals or groups of snaggers in a way that will make our position known and the consequences as well...That is the only way things will change, The DFO doesn't give a flying F*** about us sport fishman...we are not even on their radar so don't assume they will do anything other then look the other way...I think it's time to stand up and be counted...I'm sure I can already hear the sound of all footsteps heading for the door but for once, reach down boys and grab those jewels and lets go play some "Softball"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 05:53:21 PM »

I guess someone didn't get the sarcasm in my previous posts.

Your assumptions demonstrate how ineffective your effort has been. Pick up a rod and go fishing.

What makes your ethics, a lawful citizen, better than the ethics of another lawful citizen? You're telling me that you can persuade someone who thinks his or her way is right to be your pressumably right way?

When they come to a site like this they do realise that there are ethical questions regarding their methods of fishing, they can actually become better informed by reading this garbage, they are sure not going to learn this stuff standing on the scale bar flossing in a line of other bottom bouncers.

So, those who frequently visit this website are also the ones frequently visiting scale bar eh? Thanks for the confirmation that this is the flossing capital of the world wide web.

People are also not going to learn the ethical considerations of snagging by reading the regulations

Of course not! Because it's not the regulations!

or speaking to the owners of the sporting goods shops that make their living selling them bouncing betties.

My gosh, shop owners only care about money but not the natural resource that their business relies on? :o Did you read that, shop owners? ;)

Internet forums reach the biggest amount of new fishers of any method

Numeric evidence to back up that claim please.

So Rodney I do understand your frustration with whats going on but I don't agree with you completely on the use of internet forums as I think they can make a difference in the forming of peoples opinions and the education of new fishermen on ethical issues

Oh wait! I do believe there is an established website that is dedicated to this cause! It does a rather effective job too!

Educating new fishermen on ethical issues... I've seen the approach, kind of alternative compared to mainstream education.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 05:55:52 PM »

I would like to see a few "clean ups" set up where we have all the same guys show up but go "Clean up" a few individuals or groups of snaggers in a way that will make our position known and the consequences as well...

Ok Paul, when you guys get there, and someone asks, "Who's your leader???"

Don't say, "Rodney!"

And no, the FWR banner cannot be borrowed!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 05:58:08 PM »

Oh! By the way! Over 35,000 sockeye salmon were harvested last weekend. :D

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/SockeyeKeptCatch.html

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 06:31:24 PM »

Rodney you need to have a break from all of this  ;D Im sure you cant wait till pinks start entering the lower fraser in good numbers :)
weeeeeeeeeow!

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 06:37:40 PM »

Whoa!  I guess this was the straw that broke the camel's back! :o  So, the real question here is King Lear, here to stay?  Or do we go back to the comfortable and familiar and tomorrow, this thread is deleted and everyone acts like nothing's happened?

For what it's worth Rod, (and not to throw words back into your teeth) this is your vision for this site:

Fishing with Rod is an online angling magazine based in British Columbia, Canada. We cater anglers of all ages, races and skill levels. It was launched in May, 2001 and has been one of the more popular fishing websites in BC. Our objectives are to keep you updated with the latest information on fishing condition, current fishing-related issues and fishing-related events. We devote half of our effort on fishing and the other half on conservation. Become part of our community by joining our discussion forum now!

I see the words conservation, and current fishing related issues and events in there. And, all these threads about this topic is a conservation related issue.  If there weren't concerns about fish stocks, the sheer vehemence with which these threads rage (and you subsequently have to moderate) wouldn't be such an issue.  

Nosey:  there's very little you could have done and for anyone to suggest otherwise may want to take their own words to heart and go down there and see if they can stop the snagging.  Being outnumbered three to one is bad enough but fifty to one?  And since we have no legal grounds to do anything about it,  best we can do is call the DFO or CO's.  While I don't mind a good mix-up, it's been a few years and I'm getting older, slower and a little fatter.  But, I guess that's where experience and training comes in. ;)

Anyways, keep up the drama.  It's made for a rather interesting day.  ;D   ;D   ;D

President Club S. C. & P.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 08:27:44 PM »

Let's just close the Fraser from all fishing to give the socs a break. I don't know if a c&r sockeye will die because I have not seen a dead soc floating down river as of the last |I fished in July. But I think with the socs being caught left & right, perhaps DFO should just shut down the river to all fishing. I think besides the bbers, bfers can also hook them and have the poor fish drag along a big lead during the fight. I| also think it is possible that those big cannon balls casted by bfers can easily land on the thicker socs now and bonk the fish accidentally. So, why not petition DFO to close down the river to all sporties, and let DFO decides if they have the stomach to tell FN to stop too. I think you can do much more for the fish by cutting off the ropes of those illegal nets which takes much more fish (since bfers mostly have boats), and you will be safer because it is not 50 against 1. Perhaps no one is around to see it.  ;D

Ya, close the darn river and cut those nets. Then there will be peace on the river. For me, time to explore bass fishing.   ;D