Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If Shimanos are so great, why do Abus...  (Read 10770 times)

DanTfisherman

Re: If Shimanos are so great, why do Abus...
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 12:20:25 PM »

It is a 1974 reel.

The bottom reel foot should say 74XX02.

The XX would likely be either an 02, 03, 04, or an 05.  There is a very remote chance it could be an 09.

The clues are the design of the 5 star drag (this is the biggie) and the front of the line guide.  To see in person I would be able to tell if the color is gunmetal blue or the more silver grey, which would then allow me to pinpoint the XX numbers more exact.

The handle is also a bit helpful, but at the same time confusing.  It looks original, but, is the silver pin which connects the black knob to the grey handle rounded or flat?  If it is rounded, it is original.  If it is flat, it has been replaced.

This then brings me to a second conclusion.  If the serial number is not what I have stated, and the silver pin is flat, I would have to conclude the reel has been re-built (it is not correct) and to a collector, only worth the parts to be taken out of it.

Without the black case and the box, my guess would be this reel is worth about $150.00 US or so (give or take depending upon how desperate the collector is)

I am always looking to add a new reel to my collection, so if you are ever interested in parting with it, let me know.  I do have 2 reels in my collection like this one, but a variation on the serial number which I may not have would interest me (my goal over my life is to try to get one of every 6500 series reel from 1972 to 1980 with every foot variation I can).

A nice reel, but the scuff marks do take away from the reel's overall appeal, and thus value.

Fish Assassin, let me see the reel with more data and I will let you know what you have.
I have many of the little instruction booklets, and they do not always go with the year of the reel.
The 1976 booklet was the most common one, and was used with almost all 04 production series reels made form 1976 up to 1980 without any changes.

Dano

DanTfisherman

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 12:28:27 PM »

Dennis, I have picked up some ABEC 5 bearings from Mike's and put them in the three older 6500-C reels I fish with (man, can the old 6500-C outcast a Calcutta :o ;))

The way you put the bearings in does not matter, but it is important that you got the right ones!!!

All older 6500-C reels up to 1981 have the two chrome spool caps at the side.  the bearings for these reels is a slightly different size that the ones made from 1982 onward which then used a palming cap. (year break may actually be 1984, not certain here)

If the reel does not cast super-nice, bring them back and inquire as to whether you got the right bearings.  Bearings for the newer reels are common and easy to get.  the older style, not so common.

Dano

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 12:31:22 PM »

Dennis, I have picked up some ABEC 5 bearings from Mike's and put them in the three older 6500-C reels I fish with (man, can the old 6500-C outcast a Calcutta :o ;))

The way you put the bearings in does not matter, but it is important that you got the right ones!!!

All older 6500-C reels up to 1981 have the two chrome spool caps at the side.  the bearings for these reels is a slightly different size that the ones made from 1982 onward which then used a palming cap. (year break may actually be 1984, not certain here)

If the reel does not cast super-nice, bring them back and inquire as to whether you got the right bearings.  Bearings for the newer reels are common and easy to get.  the older style, not so common.

Dano

Thnks - and I've use a 1974 5000C -  smooth.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 10:50:30 AM by dennisK »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 12:58:47 PM »

The bottom reel foot has the following number: 770804, whatever that means.

DanTfisherman

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 01:56:58 PM »

Fish Assassin,

Your reel was made in August of 1977.

It is the 4th model/design change in a series which went to 5, with the last reel being produced in April of 1980 (this was the last reel produced in the old "classic series" in black, which I am lucky enough to have one.

If Ambassadeur 6500 C is engraved on the left sideplate, it is a bit more common (I think because yours is in August, it should have engraved Ambassadeur 6500 C).  If Ambassadeur 6500 C is a brown decal with silver writing on the left sideplate, this reel is a little harder to find.  But I do not believe they switched to the decals until about October of 1977, so it is very unlikely it has the decal (but not impossible).

Price of course would vary depending on shape and what stuff it comes with.

Starting value for your reel (if battered and worn) would be about $60.00 US.

Hope this is useful,
Dano
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 01:59:56 PM by DanTfisherman »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 03:00:04 PM »

Interesting information Dan. The Ambassadeur 6500C is engraved on the left sideplate.

DanTfisherman

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 08:40:23 PM »

Fly Fishing Magician,

Here is a reel for you to monitor on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1974-Ambassadeur-6500C-Gun-Metal-Gray-6500-C-Garcia_W0QQitemZ300064013156QQihZ020QQcategoryZ36176QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is the same year reel as yours.  By the looks of it, the chrome is in good shape, but the sideplates are a little worse for wear.
In addition, it does have the wrong handle on it.  This is not too big of a problem, as the "proper" handle can be obtained fairly easily, and this particular handle (for reels from 1977 to 1979) is about as hard to come by, so still useful to a collector.

This should give you a good gauge as to what the reel may be worth, although reels on e-bay tend to trade for about 15% to 20% more than what their true value should be.

Dano

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2007, 11:24:26 AM »

I never found Shimanos to be all that great. I've had three Shimano spinning reels that all failed on me. Symetre, Spirex and FX reels.  The cheap FX was the most reliable though and the only problems was it wasn't designed to prevent line twist. I will never purchase Shimano reels!  Two weeks ago, I purchased a 6.99 Zebco reel spooled with 6lb test mono. at Canadian Tire and I can tell you that it works mighty fine and it can cast as far as my Symetre reel which is amazing! Truth is, I've never found Shimano reels to be the smoothest and most reliable. I've tested 20-30 dollar reels that are as smooth or smoother cranking than my Symetre or Spirex. I think for long term reliability is concerned, Abu Garcia reels are better.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2007, 05:54:03 PM »

Hey Dan!  Thanks for the information.  I just got back from Whistler (4.5 hour drive!).  Anyway, the serial number on the bottom of the reel foot is 740502.   ;)

Eightball

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2007, 06:17:10 PM »

I have a old ambassador 5000 with the #946779 on the reel seat. What do these numbers tell you about the reel? It is red in color. Does it have any value? I really like using it. Runs very smooth. I took out the dogs in it and run it without them. You have to be real careful not to backlash it or you have a major heard ache. :-[

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 11:12:29 AM »

I have a old ambassador 5000 with the #946779 on the reel seat. What do these numbers tell you about the reel? It is red in color. Does it have any value? I really like using it. Runs very smooth. I took out the dogs in it and run it without them. You have to be real careful not to backlash it or you have a major heard ache. :-[

without looking at I'd say it's from 1967. Do you have a photo of it? sideplates and bottom ideally...

And the value is dependent on the condition...if it's in "decent shape" with little rash proly between $70 to $120.

If it's in awesome condition and you have the original leather case and manuals etc - they can fetch up to $200.

If it's crappolio and needs work, anywhere from $25 to $50.

The little red 5000 reels have very recently taken a huge jump in interest at auctions because of their solid design and ease on upgrading (and reducing number of quality condition reels). And if you do not need insane drag amounts it's the perfect size reel for smaller salmon (coho/pinks/steelhead)...after all you can proly apply several pounds of drag with your thumb alone.

Eightball

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 07:18:23 PM »

Thanks Dennisk,
I would say you are in the ballpark about the reel. In 1970, while fishing on the Toutle River in WA, before the mountain blew. I was fishing in the canyon and hooked a steelhead brought it in and there was a line caught up on it. I started to pull in the line and it felt heavy upon pulling in all the line I found a Fenwick rod and the reel attached. They were both in mint condition. No one know who lost it. Tried to find its owner with no success. Was down there every week fishing in the summer time. The summer run fishing back then was awesome. I used it for years steelhead fishing. I retired it several years ago. 8)