Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: scotty rod holder mounts twisting  (Read 3717 times)

spoonfed

scotty rod holder mounts twisting
« on: April 22, 2010, 02:28:38 PM »

I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and if they ever experienced it breaking.
I have the downrigger base that has two rod holders with extensions on them approx. 8-9" tall. when trolling these extensions can twist up to about 80 degrees torsionally. Under heavy tides or troll speeds i sometimes hear this entire assembly creek and groan. I am afraid it may break and I lose my expensive rod and reel.
Anyone have theirs break? Anyone have ideas on how to strengthen this piece?

This is black plastic, 4 ribs (+ shape on a cross section), multi-position indexed on the bottom and indexed flange at the top which the rod holder attaches with bolt

Thanks

THE FLASHER

Re: scotty rod holder mounts twisting
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 03:48:45 PM »

I have..... they do wear out and all of a sudden your rod goes over the side.  You can set them where you want them and put a set screw in the hole on the side of the mount.  I pre-drilled a hole and used a stainless screw. They're supposed to be indexed so they  can't come out but the plastic teeth get worn.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 05:32:04 PM »

I would phone scotty about this,they are very helpfull and need to know any weakness in their products.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 05:48:55 PM »

I bought Folbe rod holders and they are solid, no twist in the extensions.

any scotty rod holder will fit the extensions, but I'm not sure if they fit in the scotty mounts.

http://folbe.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12&zenid=3b390ed166cd8c9b1271cfc2891f54bf

spoonfed

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:47:25 PM »

I have..... they do wear out and all of a sudden your rod goes over the side.  You can set them where you want them and put a set screw in the hole on the side of the mount.  I pre-drilled a hole and used a stainless screw. They're supposed to be indexed so they  can't come out but the plastic teeth get worn.

Flasher, I haven't had the whole thing jump or spin on its teeth yet. What I am afraid of is the extension itself may snap under the torque and the rod holder (with rod) goes in the drink.
I do like the fact I can change the angle still because when I stack rods I need to spread them apart.

I will call Scotty tomorrow to see what they suggest. I noticed on their main web page when all the photos display on their slide show you can see one of those rod holders torquing in the picture.

fish fishburn

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 05:27:52 AM »

Don't you just hate it when manufactures use inferior materials to make something that is prone to fail . There reasoning is to keep the manufacturing costs down. But they still rape our wallets when we go to purchase it. Drives me nuts.... Would love to hear there reply when you tell them your rod and reel is on the ocean floor because there junk failed. >:(

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 06:31:48 AM »

It has happened to me.  They go snap,  the rod goes splash, my heart stops, slow the boat right down and slowly bring the down rigger up hoping the line stays in the clip.  Its the one time you pray that you do not get a bite.
I ended twining them firmly around the down rigger arm and that worked great.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.