Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ceremonial Fishery  (Read 5782 times)

dave c

Ceremonial Fishery
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:30:35 PM »

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Ceremonial Fishery
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 09:51:24 PM »

That vid is old news, Dave. http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=31131.0

Good for them. Using historic/cultural methods (weir and net) to harvest hatchery coho that the federal government has provided to replace the wild coho that were destroyed when "we" flooded the spawning grounds to provide clean water for flushing toilets, watering lawns and making craft beer.

It looks like fun and I don't blame them for being rather exuberant about it.   

TacoChris

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 09:56:38 PM »

4 year old post not sure why this is being posted now.  Would far rather see the FN do this than other more non selective fisheries not sure why so many negative comments not sure how they expect them to fish and it not look like this.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 06:50:08 AM »

x3
Selective fishing of non-wild fish on their own land. Nothing to see here.

Drewhill

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 09:06:54 AM »

Mods, think this thread should be deleted. We all know where it's heading  ::)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 09:24:14 AM »

Mods, think this thread should be deleted. We all know where it's heading  ::)

Towards a failed attempt at racist rabble-rousing? No offence to rabble, of course :D

The OP should at least have the conviction to write a few words about why he's posting the link. Spell it out for us Dave!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 09:40:22 AM »

No offence to rabble, of course :D

Hey, who you calling "rabble", mister?

Oh, yeah...

In that case, none taken :)

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »

Who said this is ceremonial? 90 percent of native fisheries is food fisheries and yes some of them trade and even sell the fish just as its been done for thousands of years. This has been going on at the cap since pre contact and the coho still return thanks to the hatchery program don't really know what the point of this post even is. Stop blaming sports and native fisheries the problem is the fleets like Jimmy Paterson owns that take from ocean in numbers beyond recreational and first nations harvests. The common man is fighting between each other while the commercial big boys and DFO laugh and count their money.
[

dave c

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 01:37:53 PM »

Towards a failed attempt at racist rabble-rousing? No offence to rabble, of course :D

The OP should at least have the conviction to write a few words about why he's posting the link. Spell it out for us Dave!
[/quote I was looking at you tube yesterday trying to get stoked for c8ho season. Came across this video thought id share. Didnt realize it was posted years ago, first time I saw it. I titled it Ceremonial fishery because that is what it is. I thought the title said it all. Apparently not for some. Spell it out?  C.  E.  R   E.  M.  O.  N.  I.  A.   L.     F.  I.  S.  H   E.  R.  Y   .

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »

I don't care how the natives want to do with their fish. They have their rights and I respect that. But isn't the river a public domain, that even if it flows though your land, the river is still public domain for all Canadians to enjoy? I appreciate they have their rights to fish and they should. But it will be nice they don't block the entire river to own all the migrating salmon to themselves for most of summers in the dry months without regards to other Canadians who should be entitled to some of the fish which migrate up during the dry season. After all, the license fees of these other Canadians help finance the hatchery. This total disregard and lack of consideration for other fishers of the river is what drives some of the harsh sentiment against their fishing practice. I also don't think it is good for the genetic diversity of the coho stock that the mid-summer component of the run is basically eliminated with zero escapement.

I remember back from the Expo years and on for quite some years, one can still hook fresh coho in the lower river fishing with the tide. It seems way back then the natives either didn't block or just partially block the river. What changed since then? Don't think they just realize that coho is good eating in recent years, lol. Are there fresh coho in some local fish stores and can one report that to DFO to check their source to issue citations for stores who sell these fish?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:57:32 PM by Steelhawk »

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 02:11:32 PM »

Lots make it through to the hatchery.
Just sayin'

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 02:47:32 PM »

That is true before the river gets too low and the natives even block at the Marine Drive section where there is a mini-fall structure. That block eliminates all fish coming up river even at the highest tide. It is already hard for fish to get up that mini-fall in in shallow flow, not to say trying to jump the rock wall after the exhaustive climb. If the natives would not block there, then some fish will make it back at the high tides of the nights in summer. Not now the way it is. All the fish are left to be scooped up the whole summer long. The river fishery will be totally dead with nothing but stale, old fish at the upper deep pools. The only viable fishery is at the Cap mouth, but most fishers there will tell you the natives get most of the fish, lol.  ;)

hrenya

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 06:12:44 PM »

Sh , you forgetting one small thing , this year was pretty rainy and pretty big amount of fish already moved up ....  consider this year to last year when was no rain at all , and all coho were stuck at the mouth ... we fished it quite a few times and jumpers were all over the place .... this year will be different ...

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 08:51:55 PM »

I don't care how the natives want to do with their fish. They have their rights and I respect that. But isn't the river a public domain, that even if it flows though your land, the river is still public domain for all Canadians to enjoy? I appreciate they have their rights to fish and they should. But it will be nice they don't block the entire river to own all the migrating salmon to themselves for most of summers in the dry months without regards to other Canadians who should be entitled to some of the fish which migrate up during the dry season. After all, the license fees of these other Canadians help finance the hatchery. This total disregard and lack of consideration for other fishers of the river is what drives some of the harsh sentiment against their fishing practice. I also don't think it is good for the genetic diversity of the coho stock that the mid-summer component of the run is basically eliminated with zero escapement.

I remember back from the Expo years and on for quite some years, one can still hook fresh coho in the lower river fishing with the tide. It seems way back then the natives either didn't block or just partially block the river. What changed since then? Don't think they just realize that coho is good eating in recent years, lol. Are there fresh coho in some local fish stores and can one report that to DFO to check their source to issue citations for stores who sell these fish?

Actually, I don't believe that is the case. I recall seeing a map that showed native land extending from the east to west bank of the mouth of the cap. I think this is also why boats are not allowed inside the mouth.

samw

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 12:56:30 AM »

I agree.  Pointless thread.