Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spey Reel  (Read 4646 times)

Sandhead

Spey Reel
« on: October 05, 2006, 05:30:37 PM »

I tried fishing the spey rod for the first time this year and I think i'm hooked.  I might have a rod coming to me in the future but want to acquire a reel. Anyone able to recommend a budget reel that doesnt comprimise quality? I'm going with a 8 or 9 weight skagit line
Ain't no HO like a COHO

Stone

Re: Spey Reel
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 11:16:17 AM »

What's the maximum that you would like to spend?  Would probably be easier to come up with some recommendations if we knew this.  Welcome to the double hand world.  :)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 08:40:16 PM »

I too am entering that world...what I did was a bit costly but on the bright side I got two reels for one...super 8 by abel...fits my 9wt one handed and a 9wt spey...I was looking at Rods today...I've watched closely guys on the river(s) for a year now and for Salmon I don't see anything else that keeps your line in the water longer, reaches parts of the river I can't with a one hander and takes almost zero back cast room....biggest thing is how long a drift you have and how you can control your mends so much easier...I will be there too very soon!!!

Stone

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:42:04 PM »

and takes almost zero back cast room....

Well...that's not entirely true.  You still need a little bit of room to make your d-loop.  But yes, all of the advantages that you mention are true.  Why false cast?  For any drift presentation, I definitely prefer the double hander.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 02:21:33 PM »

and takes almost zero back cast room....

Well...that's not entirely true.  You still need a little bit of room to make your d-loop.  But yes, all of the advantages that you mention are true.  Why false cast?  For any drift presentation, I definitely prefer the double hander.

I meant false cast with the one hander...I only do it when I want to shoot some long casts..takes me about 4 or 5 to get a lot of line out...Of course that's because I suck at tending my line and would rather leave in floating and false cast it out then coil it in my hand and end up jamming half of it through my eyelet :-[

Fishingbum

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 08:24:33 AM »

For Short head and Skagit lines try the Greys GTX 9/11. It is a cassette reel that retails for around $180 and comes with three cassettes. Available at Reaction Fly and tackle.

Ian
Ian S

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 09:45:24 AM »

if you are using a short head or skagit kine there is a Dragonfly 9/10 reel that will work fine. T6061 aluminum, cnc machined, disc drag available at any of the tackle shops for $195.00 or less.

Liptugger

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 03:49:40 PM »

I like using my silex superba, holds the line and what a sound when you get a good run.

Sandhead

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 01:18:09 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I thinking I've decided on the Ross CLA6. I have the CLA4 on my single hander and I like the reel alot.

Ain't no HO like a COHO