Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats the best stickleback fly?  (Read 18210 times)

troutmuncher

Whats the best stickleback fly?
« on: July 03, 2008, 01:41:54 AM »

What would you think imitates a small stickleback fish in a cutthroat lake on the west coast of B.C.? They were pale ,with two little spines ,one inch or smaller. The cutthroat ate these.

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: Whats the best stickleback fly?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 11:54:19 AM »

Muddlers do a good job.  Tie them in a "tan" color. and only leave a couple of sprigs of deerhair out the back.  tie it sparse.  Gold body too.

Experiment and throw a gold bead head on some of them as well.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 03:48:43 PM »

Here's a pic for you, if you are interested in tying something with the correct body shape and colours:

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »

After fishing the Whistler area recently and noticing the sticklebacks present in the lake I too was eager to try tying some up. Before the next trip I scoured the net for patterns, looked at some actual pictures of stickleback and then headed to the bench. The flies I tied where done with matterials to match the colouring of the fish in the lake

All of these flys had eyes attached at one time, but the fish chewed them off! You should be warned that if the fish are naturally feeding on sticklebacks they tend to HAMMER the fly.

Last time out I put a sticklback on, my partner who thought the flys were" too big" opted for a micro leech, well after I had caught 5 five and she 0 she put one on and was instantly into fish.

troutmuncher

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 02:10:31 AM »

Those are nice sticklebacks Lucky .Were they cutts or rainbow caught?.I also like the Teal Tom Murray muddler but I only have one left.Mc Leod sticklebacks are supposed to be successfull in the Sunshine coast area but I don't know what it looks like.I did get some epoxy minnows looks very real and they shine silver belly.Nicole Ive seen a 2"stickleback with totally greenish-golden scales with a red cutthroat slash gills it was the prettyest stickleback I ever saw.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 02:51:30 AM by troutmuncher »

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 06:54:21 AM »

those flys were inhaled by cutthroat and rainbows, some of the rainbows that ate them were only a few sizes bigger than the fly. :o

troutmuncher

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 03:34:39 AM »

Wow ,could they have been "cuttbows"?Or did the rainbows think it was some kinda dragonfly nympth?Do rainbows really eat stickleback?I actually caught a 14inch cutthroat trout in Deer Lake(Sasquatch Park) it had a belly stuffed with tiny 3/16 inch little white clams!I was even trying to figure out how to make a tiny clam fly.Whats that coarse glistening body material.Just got these Partridge roman moser cs27 barbless size 10 hooks maby they too small.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 11:31:52 AM »

Blackwater strain rainbow take fish, and larger rainbow will too.  That said they probably just hit it like they would any attractor type fly...no self respecting rainbow would mistake those for a dragonfly nymph :D

clams....?  Do you mean snails? 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 11:33:23 AM by marmot »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 06:38:49 PM »

I'm guessing he means clams.  Freshwater clams.  Seen them myself in the interior.  Pretty difficult to imitate!   ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 12:50:01 AM »

Ive seen them too just never that small.  NO clue how to fish a clam pattern! hahah

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »

Throw it to the bottom and let it sit  ;D

2fly

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 10:59:05 AM »

How about a "Booby Fly" ? fish it with a wet line so it can drift up & down.You could tie one in a oval shape and match the color?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 12:19:54 PM »

Those boobies are controversial....i don't know why....????  They probably work too well.  They work on me everytime anyways :)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 06:31:26 PM »

Those boobies are controversial....i don't know why....????  They probably work too well.  They work on me everytime anyways :)

They are really light and the fish are able to inhale them making the release really difficult because they get hooked really deep.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 01:29:48 PM »

ah count me out then!