Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where can I get good and affortable waders?  (Read 13205 times)

Piranha

Where can I get good and affortable waders?
« on: July 07, 2007, 07:32:07 AM »

I went to Pacific Angler and was blown away by their prices. I would not want to spend $600 on waders. Thank you very much. lol
Can I buy good quality waders under $100? Where should I look?

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
Re: Where can I get good and affortable waders?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 07:55:49 AM »

No I don't really think you can buy Good quality waders for under $100. Are you looking for Neoprene or breathable. You could look up Cabeals stuff, but duties and exchange may get you, or phone over to Berry's bait, they used to have a good selection that spanned the prices.

It really depend on how many days a year you're going to be in them, if you plan on alot, then buck up for decent breathables now, it'll make the time you spend in them that much nicer. 

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 10:21:07 AM »

Yup, I have to agree, buy quality so your waders don't end up in a landfill next year...

300 is the cheapest I would ever consider.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 11:06:35 AM »

You can buy a good quality set of waders from Cabelas for $150-take advantage of out strong dollar now!

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat350005&navAction=jump&cmCat=wader_search-search_redir

Also check EBay some great deals there as well.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 11:56:12 AM »

Try Army and Navy. You can pick up a pair of waders for under $100. Remember the old adage: You get what you pay for.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 07:06:22 PM »

You could try Madison river fly shop online.  I can't find the link to it, but I was able to get a pair of simms freestone in my size for just under 100$.  And then a pair of korker boots with interchangable felt and rubber soles for 80$.  Add 8$ for shipping, and it was a good deal.

Just got to find that link again.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 07:11:41 PM »

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShopping/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4

They seem to be out of my waders now, but they have the freestone travel ones... They don't have a neoprene bootie though, so they might not stand up to gravel too well without a wading sock...

Best deal on waders ever imo.

Piranha

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 08:36:30 AM »

I went to Canadian tire and found Neoprene waders and also has Neoprene insoles iside the boots. The waders are very light, comfortable and not baggy like some of the plastic ones. The boots don't have felt bottom so I guess it's not to be used on slippery rocks in rivers but for still water i think those are fine.

Gutslinger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 06:45:02 PM »

I went to Pacific Angler and was blown away by their prices. I would not want to spend $600 on waders. Thank you very much. lol
Thats funny I work at P.A.  We have breathable waders from about 160 bucks (Redington)  but like others said you get what you pay for. More expensive waders cost more for a reason, you get better materials, better workman ship and a better warrenty. We could sell cheaper lower quality gear but when customers complain that the stuff they bought from you is no good you startto get a bad reputaion.

If your waders have a rigid boot already attached  you can grind the tread off the bottom and glue on some felt soles . if they are neoprean feet go buy a pair of over sized used runners or even better old hiking boots at value village and glue some felt soles on the bottom of those.
Fishing doesn't have to be expensive.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 07:01:41 PM »

Surplus Herbies in Kamloops always has neo's on a clearance rack. Worth a look, and depending on your size my freind Linda at Big Horn Traders has a pair new XXL she has been trying to unload (cheap) for 6 years.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 07:17:05 PM »

Surplus Herbies in Kamloops always has neo's on a clearance rack. Worth a look, and depending on your size my freind Linda at Big Horn Traders has a pair new XXL she has been trying to unload (cheap) for 6 years.

Now when you say cheap. How cheap do you mean as those are my size.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 10:33:58 PM »

As I recall $60. Call Linda at 1-250-458-2333 and tell her Jeff refered you. Or email her at bighorntraders@telus.net
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

fintail1

• got milt?
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 09:35:04 AM »

you should get neos for the winter and breathables for the rest, because you only are using your neos for when it is cold you are only using your cheap ones for a shorter period of time so it will take them longer than a couple of years to wear out.  Then for the rest of the year you are using your breathables which can withstand all the pressure cause tey are quality. this also benefits the fact that it is quite a bit colder in breathables than in a pair of 5 mil neoprene waders. but if your short on money then just get breathables. Quality is the way to go with waders
Fishing is one jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other

daveg

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 01:49:28 PM »

Pacific Angler www.pacificangler.ca 604-872-2204

to name a few brands...

Dan Bailey
Patagonia
Cloudveil
William Joseph
Redington
Bare

IceB

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 01:31:31 PM »

Good day - new to this forum - been following the debate for two years.. Time to post.
So say if one wanted to spend a bit of money on waders, and the choice was between 'Bare Blackwater Breathable Wader' and 'Simms G3' what would be the recommendation?