Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink fly fishing on the Vedder.  (Read 9884 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
Re: Pink fly fishing on the Vedder.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 01:03:39 AM »

Just my two cents, if we don't get some rain soon, the Vedder will drop even lower, especially in the canal.  So if you fish in the canal, fish the deeper slots, or towards the banks which have nice dropoffs.   Early morning would be best,  but if you cannot do that then fish later in the day. Once the pinks hit the Vedder, they don't stay fresh very long, as they have reached their final destination and will spawn within a few weeks.  Also with the low water,  fish in that area tend to get a bit spooky as the questionable display of fishing methods tends to put them down.

very well said. i had a lot of pink on the fly all day last week when no questionable fishing was happening. as soon as the spot i was fishing became more popular then bite slowed down drastically. when you hook fish every cast in a hole the stop biting.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 01:06:35 AM »

How far up is too far up? Is the tamahi crossing too far?

if you do some walking you will find beautiful fish in the canal away from people. i noticed that ones on the move are just as clean as the one caught in the lower fraser. the ones in the pools looked a little aged.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 01:09:15 AM »

Thanks for the tips Rhino, i think i will head out Sunday or Monday to chuck some flies for the pinks in the vedder, still haven't caught any on the fly in the fraser yet and the commercial openings have dried up most of the fish so its upstream now i guess.

im going Monday first light again before i leave town for a while. gonna try for some coho or a jack spring to. got to find a fly for the spring. i willl probably start in the canal.see ya there. ;)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 09:15:08 AM »

Rhino - the best fly i have found that will catch pinks,coho and springs is a beadhead rolled muddler in natural or olive. you can pick them up at any fly shop(i used to buy but tie them now) dont grab the giant ones if they have them, you want like a size 6 or 8. put on a sink tip to get it down but not to the bottom as you want the fly just above their heads and have some good ole fun  ;D Yes, this is more of a coho fly but other fish also love this fly even huge springs  :o
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 01:57:55 PM »

Rhino - the best fly i have found that will catch pinks,coho and springs is a beadhead rolled muddler in natural or olive. you can pick them up at any fly shop(i used to buy but tie them now) dont grab the giant ones if they have them, you want like a size 6 or 8. put on a sink tip to get it down but not to the bottom as you want the fly just above their heads and have some good ole fun  ;D Yes, this is more of a coho fly but other fish also love this fly even huge springs  :o

Thanks for the info Mr.HOOK, I might have a couple of those in my fly box but not sure. do you have a picture of one? im still learning what all the flys are called and look like. I hope to connect with a coho or spring any day now!!!! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:59:26 PM by rhino »

doja

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 04:02:37 PM »

Every day is a different ball game when it come to fishing. If you want to keep the pink salmon don't go further then crossing bright

I agree and you'll have a better chance at more better fish as they tend to get caught as they more threw the canal before even getting to the top or even the vedder crossing.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 04:27:43 PM »

this is what im talking about. this was the from the first batch i ever tied so they have heavy deer hair (i cut alot more of it off now or omit it all together) If you really need the materials i can answer that later or tomorrow.

tie these up in natural, olive, chartruese, blue and pink and have some fun out there
Check out our new blog

Banny

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 04:49:59 PM »

Don't forget them in black

koko

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 05:14:51 PM »

this is what im talking about. this was the from the first batch i ever tied so they have heavy deer hair (i cut alot more of it off now or omit it all together) If you really need the materials i can answer that later or tomorrow.

tie these up in natural, olive, chartruese, blue and pink and have some fun out there
Nice fly, now the whole world konw what to use for coho, the trick is to find them.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 06:09:14 PM »

dont have those. but will get a few. Thanks for the pic hook.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2009, 12:54:59 AM »

just because everyone will know the fly doesnt mean i dont do something just a little different to mine to make them  a bit more effective  ;) and i tested it one day last year. took a few of mine and a few bought ones and was like 3-1 on my flies and landed more on my ties as well  ;D and now im already thinking of ways to improve it further.....

the one thing that sucks about this fly is that alot of the time once the deer hair all gets destroyed and falls off the fly is rendered useless whic really sucks  >:( I do have a way to avoid this all together of course so it doesnt matter  ;)
Check out our new blog

koko

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »

Try Bucktail, it last a lot longer. Or Polar bear if you can find some.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2009, 09:53:52 PM »

or dont use either of those and do something else with a material thats already tied into this pattern.   ;) im not gonna give away the secret of easyness though because it makes this fly a couple minutes shorter to tie at least.
Check out our new blog

koko

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 07:53:20 PM »

Thanks for the secret.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 07:54:57 PM by koko »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 04:19:17 PM »

FF - you gave it away  :P LOL its not secret anyways. what i do is actually double up what i would normally put for the mallard underwing so that it looks great as a wing by itself.
Check out our new blog